Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:28 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

I have a great deal of respect for the men and women of the military, but the Vet was downright rude. While I thank him for his service, I can easily do without his attitude.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 PM

172 posts, read 107,805 times
Social Justice?

Really?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
That original event, if true, would count as one of the most unusual stranger interactions I'd ever seen.

I've known many many military types including many with obnoxious/intrusive personality disorder, and not in my wildest dream or fantasy can I imagine any one of them doing what that sailor supposedly did.

If true, swabbie has big big issues. OP's friend should blow it off as a chance encounter with a true, certified a-hole.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
That original event, if true, would count as one of the most unusual stranger interactions I'd ever seen.

I've known many many military types including many with obnoxious/intrusive personality disorder, and not in my wildest dream or fantasy can I imagine any one of them doing what that sailor supposedly did.

If true, swabbie has big big issues. OP's friend should blow it off as a chance encounter with a true, certified a-hole.
Right? I have met some real jerks, that say some crazy stuff. In no way would I attribute that to whatever line of work they were in and others in the same industry.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
My position or former position is irrelevant. The society as a whole wishes to honor and reward their human shield bearers. As such they were among the first to receive titles and honorarium as well as pensions at a relatively young age if they happened to survive their time serving as a shield for the rest of the community.
Way to contribute to a thread that specifically asks for your position

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Military service should be appreciated and respected, but not placed upon a pedestal.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I don't fully agree with either you or your friend's position. I'm a realist, others would probably consider me more left politically but I don't see myself as either left or right. Basically I think people are selfish, more or less out to serve themselves. Yes this includes those that choose to join the military. Of course they sacrifice, but so does every single other person with a job. Otherwise they wouldn't be paid for doing what they do. Think about it. Military "service" has an awful lot of benefits for anyone joining. Name me another profession that a kid straight out of high school can join and get free housing as well as the opportunity to travel the world. For many people it's simply the best financial option and an enticing lifestyle choice. Not to mention the general adoration from the public regarding anyone in uniform.

As for the public service sector, it's a job, and as with most jobs you have to provide some kind of service to get paid. What's so special about public service in general? Nothing IMO. As far as the military being exposed to danger more often than your average person. Yes that is true, but just being exposed to danger does not make you any better than anyone else. How about drug dealers, gang leaders, hitmen, etc? So the general assumption is that the military protects us civilians from danger so we owe them gratitude. This is something I do not agree with. I don't think anyone has every protected me or make my life safer by invading a country halfway around the world. Bottom line is that while I don't hold anything against someone having a military or any other "public service" job, I would never hold them in higher esteem than anyone else just because of their chosen occupation. The people who chose these occupations do it because it's what's best available for themselves, not because of some desire to help others selflessly.
Fair points, which I can respect, even though I make not agree with everything. Military service does have many benefits, but, as I mentioned before, I think the benefits and attention military servicemen and servicewomen get is well deserved given their sacrifice (both on the job and afterward, in terms of PTSD, etc.).

As for people joining the military for selfish reasons, I'd imagine that there is a certain level of selfishness in every decision to join. Indeed, I doubt that many would do so without compensation, etc. But that, to me, is irrelevant as they still sacrifice greatly and serve on the front lines of defense for external attacks against our country/our allies.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 PM

If you are not serving yourself, at least on some level, how can you serve others?

Old 07-28-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
The only Teachers I am aware of enduring a higher safety risk are working Juvenile Hall or in Adult Jails. Years back, I was a substitute teachers aide for the office of education where my jobsite was at Juvenile Hall. Every summer for 3 yrs
Very True
Yes, they offer a greater sacrifice overall, than most of us. That premiess is generally accepted hence why they get little discounts here and there from various stores and companies. One day per year to be honored. Discounted Loans and such.

The problem is, they leave them in the Military for years on end to suffer to the point they become what they were fighting against.
Then they end up in jail for murdering someone due to PTSD. So sad. They need to have shorter "sentences' during wartime.
My thought is your friend has a bit of a chip on his shoulder because he feels like others are stealing his thunder.
It's not easy to live that way
That's exactly how I felt when I read my friend's post. As I mentioned, it was troubling to me, and in more than one way.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I can see the OP point for asking. While all of us respect the sacrifices a lot of service people made for this country, sometimes it is overblown. People serve America in many ways, not every person needed to be dodging bullets to serve the country. Doctors, nurses, volunteers, etc gave to this country too.

For the man the OP cited, who looked down on the other man because he may have been a weekend warrior, to do that is just elitist and wrong.
Personally, I don't think its enough, though I don't know any active duty member who is demanding that more be respect be shown to them. Note, even before I personally swore the oath, I quarreled with a buddy of mine who argued that everyone needs to give service to the country in the form of military service. I believe that people serve their country in countless ways every single day that does not include the military.

As for the vet that my friend encountered, I agree with you completely. That was uncalled for and beneath him and his military service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates