U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:19 PM

10,189 posts, read 2,608,321 times

Advertisements

I bring this up because I learned yesterday the jails around here give people methadone if they arrest someone that is on Suboxone for heroin addiction. I was under the impression jails had to provide medicine to the person as long as they were under a doctors care and the medicine was prescribed to them for daily use.

Someone suggested that they give methadone instead of suboxone in jails because methadone is so much cheaper, Suboxone is a pretty expensive drug.

Im not sure how jails handle people that take blood pressure, diabetes, and other types of medicine when they are arrested, surely they do give these people something while they are in jail.

It seems like every jail would have to have its own pharmacy though, they have no way of knowing who is going to be arrested and lodged in the jail day to day, so Im not sure how they handle all the different people who are on all sorts of different medicines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 PM

8,751 posts, read 10,775,873 times
There is a lot more to this question/answer than whether a jail provides or refuses drugs to inmates. Jails are not hospitals and there are a host of considerations that come into play when a jailed person claims they need methadone or any other drug at some particular interval: verification, availability, authorization, security, cost, etc..

Even when an inmate brings pills in original bottle/s into jail, someone must verify the pills have not been replaced with something else and are still authorized and necessary medication - and are properly dispensed and taken. This is complicated even more in city jails with inmates arrested on weekends or the middle of the night (when verifying pharmacies or doctor's offices are closed or unavailable.) - and when many arrested inmates are less than coherent.

Most city jails have their own established process for inmate medications that involve proper notification and channels for receiving and handling drugs. Prisons (and some county jails) are different, since they have longer-term inmates, along with established medical staffs and facilities.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:49 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,899,272 times
No but they shouldn't be required to do sex change or other cosmetic operations. They shouldn't have to do non-sexual organ transplants either. (I'm talking about convicted people, not the ones not convicted yet.)

Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 AM

11,641 posts, read 8,154,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
No but they shouldn't be required to do sex change or other cosmetic operations. They shouldn't have to do non-sexual organ transplants either. (I'm talking about convicted people, not the ones not convicted yet.)

That is what I was thinking.

How crazy is it that an inmate is allowed to change their sex while in prison and the tax payers have to pay for it.

We had a case in Mass. where a convicted murderer tried to become a woman and it was appealed all the way to the Supreme Court.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...PSP/story.html

From the article “This is a terrible and inhumane result for Michelle,” said Jennifer Levi, director of the Transgender Rights Project for GLAD, the Boston group that represented Kosilek in the Supreme Court.

I can't help but think about the terrible and inhumane result when he strangled his wife to death.

I think jails do have a responsibility to keep an inmate healthy but if they are on illegal drugs they need to get them off of those.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is what I was thinking.

How crazy is it that an inmate is allowed to change their sex while in prison and the tax payers have to pay for it.

We had a case in Mass. where a convicted murderer tried to become a woman and it was appealed all the way to the Supreme Court.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...PSP/story.html

From the article “This is a terrible and inhumane result for Michelle,” said Jennifer Levi, director of the Transgender Rights Project for GLAD, the Boston group that represented Kosilek in the Supreme Court.

I can't help but think about the terrible and inhumane result when he strangled his wife to death.

I think jails do have a responsibility to keep an inmate healthy but if they are on illegal drugs they need to get them off of those.
Im referring to those people who are taking medicine legitimately, and they are under a doctors care (did not just buy it off the street).

Lets say a person gets arrested that has a legit prescription for back pain, and gets prescriptions from his doctor for pain medicine, if he is arrested, the jail CANNOT refuse him his medicine, the same would be true for those on blood pressure or meds for diabetes, they have to take medicine on a daily basis and cannot miss a dose.

Jails can also verify this with a call to the pharmacy, they can confirm if the patient is under a doctors care and gets the medicine legally, pharmacies are open weekends and many are open 24 hours, so arrested on the weekend wouldnt be a problem in verifying this kind of information.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,899,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im referring to those people who are taking medicine legitimately, and they are under a doctors care (did not just buy it off the street).

Lets say a person gets arrested that has a legit prescription for back pain, and gets prescriptions from his doctor for pain medicine, if he is arrested, the jail CANNOT refuse him his medicine, the same would be true for those on blood pressure or meds for diabetes, they have to take medicine on a daily basis and cannot miss a dose.

Jails can also verify this with a call to the pharmacy, they can confirm if the patient is under a doctors care and gets the medicine legally, pharmacies are open weekends and many are open 24 hours, so arrested on the weekend wouldnt be a problem in verifying this kind of information.
I don't think anyone opposes this. But you have to careful with criminals. They are born liars. Just because one of the says he has a sore back doesn't make it so.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I don't think anyone opposes this. But you have to careful with criminals. They are born liars. Just because one of the says he has a sore back doesn't make it so.
Right, but if John Doe has a prescription for Percocet from a real doctor, with instructions to take 3X a day, the jail cannot legally withhold this from him, It would be cruel and inhumane punishment I believe.

Im not sure how jails go about verifying inmates and which medicines they are on, but I would imagine they have some way to check on this...what if a severe diabetic was arrested one night, they could not simply withhold their medicine until it can be verified, they would have to provide meds for them right away.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,285,444 times
Some context might help this debate. When you are incarcerated, you become a ward of the court and are remanded to a detention (or prison) facility. That facility will have a medical clinic of some sort. I've been to dozens of jails and prisons and never found one that didn't have the ability to provide or obtain medical care for an inmate who requires it.

During intake, you will be asked a lot of questions about your physical and mental health. One of the reasons for this questioning is to alert the medical staff about any medical history, chronic conditions and medications that could come into play during your incarceration.

Because you are a ward of the court, that clinic will legally assume the role of your physician and determine whether you need medications and, if so, what meds you need that are on their formulary. You may not get the latest hypertension medication that your personal physician would put you on, but your BP will get controlled. (See the above comment on methadone versus suboxone.) By law, and Supreme Court rulings, you must be provided medical care. The Supremes were quite clear in their ruling that you are not entitled to the best medical care available, but it must be sufficient for your needs.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, and a smart inmate will enlist the aid of their legal counsel to advocate that they get whatever drug they think they need. But the average run of the mill inmate is going to get whatever medical treatment the facility thinks he or she needs.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM

35,112 posts, read 10,370,451 times
No, they shouldn't be denied medicine (and I'm not advocating paying for "sex change" operations) for medical conditions. And just as with health insurance plans outside of prison, they can try to find cost-effective meds.

Just last year, though, I read of an elderly PA inmate who was given Tylenol for his end-stage cancer.

You've GOT to be kidding me.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:08 PM

1,281 posts, read 410,852 times
Seems to me, if you're in for life, the prison should do DAMN LITTLE to prolong it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or