Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:51 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times

Advertisements

YES! Because heinous people SCARE me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
How would I know without doubt my relative committed the heinous crime?
Did I witness it? Yes I'd turn them in.
Did someone tell me? Then I don't know for sure. And why didn't THAT person turn them in?
Did they (the criminal) tell me? I would feel at risk of being killed by them when they realized they spilled the beans. So yes turn them in.

Knowing and not turning them in would be too horrible. Could not live with myself.
Much more likely scenario is the criminal relative gives plausible reasons for why they did it.
That would be a much more difficult decision but I'd still lean in direction of them facing justice system.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
I could try and answer, but I don't think I could really know what it is like to be in that situation until I was in that situation.

Most people think they can imagine just how they would act in all manner of extreme scenarios. Almost always, they're just assuring themselves that they'd do the 'right thing' when, in fact, they cannot possibly know how they would react in such a situation.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:00 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
I'm pretty much an anarchist, I don't care for helping the government, I don't like, nor trust cops. I don't care too much about the title of family, depends on how well, somebody honors it. Even then, whether I consider them family or not, there's still the fact of helping the gov't. I certainly wouldn't do it for free. It would need be well worth my time to interupt my day to help. How desperate are you for my intell, officer... monetarilly speaking? The word of the day is; Infobroker.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I'm pretty much an anarchist, I don't care for helping the government, I don't like, nor trust cops. I don't care too much about the title of family, depends on how well, somebody honors it. Even then, whether I consider them family or not, there's still the fact of helping the gov't. I certainly wouldn't do it for free. It would need be well worth my time to interupt my day to help. How desperate are you for my intell, officer... monetarilly speaking? The word of the day is; Infobroker.
Turning in a murderer isn't primarily an act of helping the government. It is an act of helping your fellow citizen. Letting a known violent, dangerous criminal run free because you didn't get a paycheck to turn him in? If that is really your position, that's pathetic. At least those in the "I couldn't turn on family" camp are trying to stand on a principle. You're just being selfish.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Turning in a murderer isn't primarily an act of helping the government. It is an act of helping your fellow citizen. Letting a known violent, dangerous criminal run free because you didn't get a paycheck to turn him in? If that is really your position, that's pathetic. At least those in the "I couldn't turn on family" camp are trying to stand on a principle. You're just being selfish.
"...helping my fellow citizen," whatever, guy, I stand by my words, I don't care how pathetic you think it sounds, I see it as fair trade. Money spins this world, money is incentive, money gets bullspit done, that is reality and if you don't have any, well... life is a bit stagnant. Life effing sucks. So yeah, I think the information on some crazed murderer is worth more than free. Hell; often enough rewards are offered as incentive anyway, so how am I wrong? If I knew exactly what my hypothetical family did and where they were hunkered down, don't you think that bit of info is invaluable, more precious than some heresay flooding a tip line? What makes my demand of monetary payout more immoral than say AMW offering a reward? I am being selfish... and logical. Something like this is far beyond my generosity and I do enough thankless bullspit with no return, ran my damn car in the ground for people and not one damn soul offers to throw anything my way. I've done and do good deeds, I don't brag, I don't expect anything in return, yet I'm still the one who life spits on. So I don't give a damn if my uncle raped and killed babies, give me my my god damn effing money or his rein of terror will simply ensue because I have no incentive to care. I've lost too damn much and do so much for everybody else to not have much of anything to show for it. Besides; I like watching cops suffer because somebody elses tyranny is grandstanding over their own.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
"...helping my fellow citizen," whatever, guy, I stand by my words, I don't care how pathetic you think it sounds, I see it as fair trade. Money spins this world, money is incentive, money gets bullspit done, that is reality and if you don't have any, well... life is a bit stagnant. Life effing sucks. So yeah, I think the information on some crazed murderer is worth more than free. Hell; often enough rewards are offered as incentive anyway, so how am I wrong? If I knew exactly what my hypothetical family did and where they were hunkered down, don't you think that bit of info is invaluable, more precious than some heresay flooding a tip line? What makes my demand of monetary payout more immoral than say AMW offering a reward? I am being selfish... and logical. Something like this is far beyond my generosity and I do enough thankless bullspit with no return, ran my damn car in the ground for people and not one damn soul offers to throw anything my way. I've done and do good deeds, I don't brag, I don't expect anything in return, yet I'm still the one who life spits on. So I don't give a damn if my uncle raped and killed babies, give me my my god damn effing money or his rein of terror will simply ensue because I have no incentive to care. I've lost too damn much and do so much for everybody else to not have much of anything to show for it. Besides; I like watching cops suffer because somebody elses tyranny is grandstanding over their own.
I don't even know where to begin. Not turning in your hypothetical uncle, and thus allowing him to continue to rape and kill babies, would be an evil deed that would likely far outweigh any amount of good you've done in your life. An organization offering a reward is basically them catering to people who won't do the right thing without money. It is catering to people like you. But that isn't justification for saying you wouldn't turn such a person in unless you got paid.

COJeff said something similar a while back, claiming that he wouldn't even save a child who was drowning in a kiddie pool right in front of him unless he was going to be paid for it (http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...ulsory-34.html). What is wrong with this forum? Is it self-selecting for terrible people?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Yes white collar is so much more acceptable to turn a blind eye too....not!
Bernie Maddof thrived on white collar crime.

Reporting a crime is being responsible.

Nunyabuziness needs to be revisited. Far too many heads in the sand.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Depends on who they do it to. If they harm a civilian? Yep.

If they harm another evil person? Nope. Not likely.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I don't even know where to begin. Not turning in your hypothetical uncle, and thus allowing him to continue to rape and kill babies, would be an evil deed that would likely far outweigh any amount of good you've done in your life. An organization offering a reward is basically them catering to people who won't do the right thing without money. It is catering to people like you. But that isn't justification for saying you wouldn't turn such a person in unless you got paid.

COJeff said something similar a while back, claiming that he wouldn't even save a child who was drowning in a kiddie pool right in front of him unless he was going to be paid for it (http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...ulsory-34.html). What is wrong with this forum? Is it self-selecting for terrible people?
Now I remember you, you're the guy who thinks that reaping from dead bodies by the gov't should be mandatory. I didn't know that thread made nine pages. I'm not COJeff, though. I don't know what kinda job he has or whatever leads his conclusion of not saving a drowning child in a 26" deep inflatable pool. That said; I don't think it outwieghs any good I've done, comparing quality and quantatative properties to which amounts and degrees are a determining factor. I would save the drowning child to save a life and not by the point of the example, being that pedestal which people hold children. A kid is a person to me. I'd save you too, unless I had a personal vendetta, which I don't.

Anyway; I see it as justification. I think one should be rewarded for in a way being responsible for ending somebodies hienous, rampant crime spree, versus just being some unacredited person who may get interviewed by the news. This isn't pushing a car out of snow, or turning in a wallet and leaving the money. They always beg people to essentually do their job for them- partially. They should offer incentives other than some sort of required civic duty that is punishable if you do nothing. Help me, help you, officer. I don't want my uncle to continue such a cruel act, and we aren't talking about some serial loiterer and jaywalker here. Turning him in will make many many lives better, people who don't even know they're going to be the next victim. You telling me helping catch my uncle- which makes my role in the ordeal extremely important, more so than some random person who called to say they seen him walk out some corner store- because I have e everything they need, to save all these future families strife and better their lives by letting it continue as normal, it's wrong for me to want to better my life with say 5-20K? Horsespit. Not too mention being the main person to allow previous families closure that he was caught. I wouldn't call and say I know where he is and for $XX I'll tell you. It's more the if I'm on the list of family to question and they show up at my door. Maybe it's an evil deed... not as evil as a baby raping murderer. I guess you see yourself some sort of paragon. I see myself for what I am; nuetral, maybe chaotic nuetral. I do and say whatever I feel and I see nothing wrong with wanting money for something like this. Maybe a person wanted on a lesser offense, maybe my uncle is the famous candybar stealer going gas station to gas station, store to store stealing a single candybar. I might just turn him in for the sake of doing it. Depends on what moral obligations are at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates