Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I understand you hate cops but your logic holds no weight and is delusional at best.

Either cops are evil and citizens can't be insubordinate to them without being shot on sight.

Or cops are evil and being non-compliant is the only way to "change the injustice."

Which one is is cop basher? Surely you can understand the idiocy behind such a lazy predictable anti-cop narrative.
No. I don't hate cops. I've worked with them a number of times, sometimes it was a very positive experience, other times it was a very negative experience. We need them in our society, but we need them to follow the Constitution and other laws.

You're very limited in your thinking if you believe that every issue is either/or.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
People do stupid stuff like reach for their wallet when a police officer is walking up to their car, blather on and incriminate themselves, videotape halfway through an altercation so we don't know REALLY h5ow things were escalated so we can then blame the officer. But also, by default, if a victim is dead, police officers will spin a story to save their bacon. Bottom line, if we ever saw a police officer's paycheck, though, we'd definitely be more respectful. That said, every parent should teach their children, about warranted searches and do role play dealing with officers. The ACLU has educational stuff about this.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Are there police officers that go rogue? Yes. Are there police officers that fall through the cracks that shouldn't be police officers? Yes. They are a small minority. You can be hyperbolic and paranoid, or you can just be a hater. My husband retired after nearly 30 years of service. I fell in love with him because he was a steady and reliable person. He was the same on the job. He was a Cook county jail guard before he was hired on his department. Different people require different was of being dealt with. You will never understand dealing with that mentality because you will be the one calling societies garbage men and women to handle it for you. Until you walk the walk and live the lifestyle, you will never understand the toll it takes on people. Some of them will snap and the best way to prevent that is if we do our part and be respectful. Don't act like a rectum and chances are you will be treated with respect. They all want to go home after their shift, and unfortunately, some won't. That's a lot of baggage to carry around every day at work for decades.
Right, thats why Ive always believed the job of a cop should not be a career type job, the positions should have limits on how long someone can serve as a cop, like maybe 2-4 yrs and then someone else must take over the position.

Better yet, make it mandatory that all qualified adults in the city serve at least one term as a city police officer, this would ensure different people are always holding the positions, and no one is there long enough to start enjoying the authority a little too much, or even make them elected positions, citizens would vote on who should serve as cops for the term. Something like this would be much better than what we have now.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Right, thats why Ive always believed the job of a cop should not be a career type job, the positions should have limits on how long someone can serve as a cop, like maybe 2-4 yrs and then someone else must take over the position.

Better yet, make it mandatory that all qualified adults in the city serve at least one term as a city police officer, this would ensure different people are always holding the positions, and no one is there long enough to start enjoying the authority a little too much, or even make them elected positions, citizens would vote on who should serve as cops for the term. Something like this would be much better than what we have now.
Biazarre. Why would anyone go through all the training for a job of less than 4 years?

Old 09-03-2018, 06:06 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Walk in the cops shoes for a time, it will change your opinion.
Damn straight it will.

People are so freaking clueless.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Chances are?

One night while working on the night shift a quiet rich town next to John's town had a cop shot in the chest by some thug jumping out of his car and trying to kill him. John was out there looking for them but they got away. It was fortunate that his friend was wearing his vest and suffered minor injuries. What you don't understand is that these things can happen in a blink of an eye. I remember in John's younger years that he wouldn't wear his vest. They are heavy and very hot. I begged him to do so, and after his friend got shot, he had a change of heart. Carry that thought with you every day and know that somewhere in the U.S. some cop might not be going home. Did you have a dangerous job or did you sit safely behind a desk somewhere? "According to the FBI, which publishes the data in the Uniform Crime reports, from 1980-2014, an average of 64 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed per year. Those killed in accidents in the line of duty are NOT included in that number." source: Wikipedia. I tried to Google how many police officers are killed in accidents but couldn't find any information. Lets not mention those injured so bad that they are permanently disabled. There were 3 that I know of on John's small department and we have another friend out on another department. You can look at one incidence and form a narrow opinion or you can read beyond your prejudices and find a different opinion.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
One night while working on the night shift a quiet rich town next to John's town had a cop shot in the chest by some thug jumping out of his car and trying to kill him. John was out there looking for them but they got away. It was fortunate that his friend was wearing his vest and suffered minor injuries. What you don't understand is that these things can happen in a blink of an eye. I remember in John's younger years that he wouldn't wear his vest. They are heavy and very hot. I begged him to do so, and after his friend got shot, he had a change of heart. Carry that thought with you every day and know that somewhere in the U.S. some cop might not be going home. Did you have a dangerous job or did you sit safely behind a desk somewhere? "According to the FBI, which publishes the data in the Uniform Crime reports, from 1980-2014, an average of 64 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed per year. Those killed in accidents in the line of duty are NOT included in that number." source: Wikipedia. I tried to Google how many police officers are killed in accidents but couldn't find any information. Lets not mention those injured so bad that they are permanently disabled. There were 3 that I know of on John's small department and we have another friend out on another department. You can look at one incidence and form a narrow opinion or you can read beyond your prejudices and find a different opinion.
That wasn't really the point.

You said: "Don't act like a rectum and chances are you will be treated with respect."

I'm saying there shouldn't be a "chances are" scenario if you're acting decently. I expect the police to be professional. Always.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:51 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I personally would exonerate anyone, police or otherwise, that beat the snot out of someone threatening to rape their wife or child.

You say something that menacing to a police officer, you better expect to have some sense knocked into you.
"Disrespectful" is automatically "menacing" - that interpretation is a big part of the problem. This topic is not about threatening someone but talking crap - big difference.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:53 AM

529 posts, read 490,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That wasn't really the point.

You said: "Don't act like a rectum and chances are you will be treated with respect."

I'm saying there shouldn't be a "chances are" scenario if you're acting decently. I expect the police to be professional. Always.
Not sure, and hopefully his statement wasn't what he was thinking. If you "act like a rectum", of course that person is not going to be treated with a lot of respect. How can you, when they are not listening, yelling, blabbering, and not backing down in order to have a civil discussion? Police are trained, and should approach everyone with respect and professionalism. On how far that goes, and the level of it, depends on the person contacted, and that could be a millisecond in some situations. Problem is the "outsider" looking in and making an opinion without all the facts.

What I don't understand is his continued posting going toe to toe with people who are not willing to look objectively and have a fixed opinion. Although it is entertaining.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
Cops have a long history of being seen as thugs with badges. It's not a new problem. That the police have a dangerous job is beyond question. They also tend to make very good salaries. We citizens who pay their salaries have every right to expect the police to act as well trained professionals. Which means enforcing existing laws, not making up laws as needed, then arresting and sometimes assaulting the very people they were hired to protect. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates