Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 01:17 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Confrontational? Come on, now you’re just proving my point to why cops NEED cameras.
No, you said I demanded that you cite some data.
I said, "Please cite".
That is not demanding.

But we agree on one thing...cops do need cameras. The question about cameras is why do they so often fail or get turned off right when something important happens?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...meras-failures

Old 09-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Not all police are bad of course, it's just the ones that make the newspapers and media are the bad ones, cause the media likes those stories that can sell.

I got stuck in the snow while driving once, and a cop came and helped push me out. Now he didn't have to do that. And it never made the media that a good Samaritan cop, came and helped push me out of the snow. Because the media only wants to report on the bad ones, cause crime stories are news, where as police being good, is not news really.
I don't think you're really getting a grasp on what many of us our saying.

Most cops do their jobs.
Most cops do their jobs well.
Many cops actively help people (such as the example you give here).

Most of us accept all of that as being true.

Yes, we know that there are a minority of cops who are not doing their job well.
The problem we see is that police organizations tend to protect their own...often including the bad cops. This is not uncommon in many professions, including my former profession. The difference, however, is that when that issue occurs on police forces it can result in beating and deaths.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Do you think that if you were in a bar, and a 20 something well built man were standing there, and you started throwing verbal assaults at him, his family, wishing death on him, do you think that perhaps, every once in a while, you might tick that man off and get your butt kicked?

Same with cops, they're human after-all.
And both the guy in the bar and the cop should be prosecuted - that's what the law says.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think you're really getting a grasp on what many of us our saying.

Most cops do their jobs.
Most cops do their jobs well.
Many cops actively help people (such as the example you give here).

Most of us accept all of that as being true.

Yes, we know that there are a minority of cops who are not doing their job well.
The problem we see is that police organizations tend to protect their own...often including the bad cops. This is not uncommon in many professions, including my former profession. The difference, however, is that when that issue occurs on police forces it can result in beating and deaths.
Yeah that's true, I don't get why they protect their own so much, like what's the big deal of giving up one of your own? Like for example, I'm not a cop, I work in a factory, but if one of the workers beats up another worker, I'm not going to go through hoops to protect him from being charged over it.

So if factor workers, can bring themselves to 'not look the other way', why can't many police officers?

Plus another thing is, how do these cops protect their own exactly? If a prosecutor wants to prosecute, they will prosecute, regardless of what the other cops think.

So I think the accountability of a bad cop not being charged is most likely the prosecutor's fault, and not the bad cop's coworkers doing.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:06 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
No, you said I demanded that you cite some data.
I said, "Please cite".
That is not demanding.

But we agree on one thing...cops do need cameras. The question about cameras is why do they so often fail or get turned off right when something important happens?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...meras-failures
They don’t. It’s just the next tactic in the war against cops since only negative police reporting is allowed.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2018, 08:12 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Plus another thing is, how do these cops protect their own exactly? If a prosecutor wants to prosecute, they will prosecute, regardless of what the other cops think.
They don’t. Just another false narrative used as a catch-all to justify hating on ALL cops. The blue wall has been gone for over a generation.

Policing has a high rate of turnover. Even those who complete full careers typically are only there 20-25 max. In a few short years, you’ll have very few cops nationwide who know what it was like to police without cameras.

Aspects like the “blue wall” disappear quickly for this reason. It’s only the media and coo haters who think it still exists.

The problem is that cops know that police work is dirty. We see particularly nasty videos and say, “that’s normal,” while citizens immediately see that as protectionism because they either don’t know the laws, the full story, or just don’t care to accept that cops often have to go “hands on.”

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2018, 08:30 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I'll bet your one of those constitution-waving types... even though you openly admit here that you care not one iota about due process.
A black man is a constitutional waiving type for police? Hahaha good one.

So do I spout off Constitution rights before or after I get the gun pointed in my face for reaching in my pocket to retrieve my drivers license?

I'm a law abiding citizen with no criminal record. You're more than welcome to test your due process by provoking the police into a beatdown as a white man.

I'll be at home enjoying not being in prison or dead for fully complying with police..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Being of color does not make you an automatic victim. Follow the law and you're unlikely to be in a casket whether you're white, black, brown, red, yellow, purple, pink, blue, green, striped or spotted.
Thanks, my lack of a criminal record as a black guy speaks for itself.

The point of my post is that I SUPPORT cops 100%, comply 100%, listen 100%, so I can go home 100%.

Everyone else is whining about police beating them down like those who mouth off to police don't deserve beatdowns.

Last edited by Rocko20; 09-02-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 08:40 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
But total societal compliance in matters of injustice results in the continuation of that injustice.
I understand you hate cops but your logic holds no weight and is delusional at best.

Either cops are evil and citizens can't be insubordinate to them without being shot on sight.

Or cops are evil and being non-compliant is the only way to "change the injustice."

Which one is is cop basher? Surely you can understand the idiocy behind such a lazy predictable anti-cop narrative.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:12 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
I personally would exonerate anyone, police or otherwise, that beat the snot out of someone threatening to rape their wife or child.

You say something that menacing to a police officer, you better expect to have some sense knocked into you.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
They don’t. It’s just the next tactic in the war against cops since only negative police reporting is allowed.
I'd like to point out that the poster failed to respond to the article I cited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates