U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:03 AM

502 posts, read 195,626 times

Advertisements

I think it can be very helpful if you can find a good therapist. I just wish therapy was more accessible for people of lower income levels.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:10 AM

400 posts, read 125,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Just wondering how people feel about therapist for mental issues or even counselors for marriage. Do you think its a scam that exploits the sad ,the crazy, and the desperate or is there a real benefit.
I guess as I have gotten older I have become a cynic of many things, and a person sitting on a couch or whatever and just chatting away while someone else is charging high fees seems like a hustle to me. And if you have to see a stranger to fix your marriage, I think it's time to move on.

I never found it helpful, in fact, I think it's one of those things people will look back in 50 years the way we do at all the quack practices of old times.

Like all scams, they prey on desperate people. Many (mostly women) get hooked on pouring out their problems to these charlatans and spend years and years forking over money, but never see their lives improve. The biggest skill of a therapist is being able to keep a straight face and act interested while they watch the clock.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:51 AM

245 posts, read 112,419 times
While I don't think it's a scam, I don't think it does much good for people. People who see therapists on a regular basis don't seem to solve their problems - it's more a crutch to vent and unload upon more than anything.

While "talking things out" can be wonderfully beneficial to someone going through hard times, you don't need a therapist for that - a good friend or loved one will do just fine.

Heck, I've used a video camera to talk about my problems and it's done wonders.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 392,933 times
Yeah, any help is a scam. Anyone saying "Good morning" to you is a scam. Traffic lights to avoid accidents are a scam. Everything is a scam.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 AM

6,254 posts, read 3,540,401 times
Sometimes an observant stranger is better able to see problems and patterns that people who live daily with them no longer notice.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,572,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
I never found it helpful, in fact, I think it's one of those things people will look back in 50 years the way we do at all the quack practices of old times.

Like all scams, they prey on desperate people. Many (mostly women) get hooked on pouring out their problems to these charlatans and spend years and years forking over money, but never see their lives improve. The biggest skill of a therapist is being able to keep a straight face and act interested while they watch the clock.
That part is kind of funny. I remember watching Growing Pains as a child and Alan Thicke occasionally falling asleep with a patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
While I don't think it's a scam, I don't think it does much good for people. People who see therapists on a regular basis don't seem to solve their problems - it's more a crutch to vent and unload upon more than anything.

While "talking things out" can be wonderfully beneficial to someone going through hard times, you don't need a therapist for that - a good friend or loved one will do just fine.
I guess that's my theory, that its just a good place to vent for those that lack another outlet. Maybe I'm just underestimating the value of venting or that I personally have enough people to belt things out too.
Probably makes sense to me too why married women on the job seem to like to pour out all of their marriage issues, even I ask 1 or 2 simple questions about the homelife.

But take someone like a pedophile, I just don't think any amount of therapy will change that person. You just have to watch them.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:14 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,824,530 times
Quote:
Just wondering how people feel about therapist for mental issues or even counselors for marriage. Do you think its a scam that exploits the sad ,the crazy, and the desperate or is there a real benefit.
I guess as I have gotten older I have become a cynic of many things, and a person sitting on a couch or whatever and just chatting away while someone else is charging high fees seems like a hustle to me. And if you have to see a stranger to fix your marriage, I think it's time to move on.
I am very much a supporter of therapy, particularly behavioral therapy.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 PM

1,070 posts, read 639,282 times
Ask potential therapist what course of therapy they subscribe to: like what methodology they utilize

CBT is better than the new "People Centered Therapy" strategy that is the latest. I met with one recently who used the strategy of re-packaging my questions and request for advise and fed my own questions back to me.
Talk about a USELESS, wishy-washy waste of time.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:33 PM

15,118 posts, read 8,447,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

Heck, I've used a video camera to talk about my problems and it's done wonders.
Anyone can listen....a good therapist provides insights and new strategies to try. Sometimes friends can do that and sometimes not, especially if the person surrounds themseves with unhealthy people like themselves. A good therapist can give your fresh ideas presented in a way that is most meaningful to you.

Not gonna get that from a videocamera or a dysfunctional family member.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:39 PM

400 posts, read 125,072 times
Quote:

I guess that's my theory, that its just a good place to vent for those that lack another outlet. Maybe I'm just underestimating the value of venting or that I personally have enough people to belt things out too.

Just to start out, I work in the mental health industry. The overwhelming profile of a psychotherapist, I've found, is that they come from upper middle class families and have been exposed to very little in their lives. They go to school, maybe get a MSW (master of social work) degree as well. Then, their entire rest of their lives is spent distancing themselves from the people they see - it's a requirement to prevent burn out. They have no knowledge of the life of people who have followed anything but the one they chose. How can they possibly understand the struggles of others, other than in a clinical, text book way.

I know it sounds like a case of terminal uniqueness, but I have had a ridiculously varied life. I don't even tell people the extent. Therapists look at me like an alien - I really think that they think I'm delusional. I believe the course of my life has been directed by mental illness. But I don't believe that our personalities change - we just manage them better, perhaps. There have been many times I wished there was a way to cure this 'thing', but there isn't - it's zombiehood and a life of medication or gritting your teeth and praying for the cycle to end.

Last edited by IWLC; 09-01-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or