Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I was born and raised in the U.S. and emigrated to Europe just after I turned sixty. I have to say that almost all the Europeans that I encounter use "America" to mean the U.S. So, while you are correct - strictly speaking - popular usage seems to keep the label reserved for the U.S. Perhaps the reason may be that the country is the United States of America, just as "Canada" is actually the Dominion of Canada and "Mexico" is the United Mexican States...and so on down the line.

However, when I applied for my residency visa at one point the clerk put down for nationality: North American. I did not notice, but when the card arrived I was afraid that this mistake might make it legally invalid. So, I went back to the same clerk and explained that I was actually a citizen of "the United States." She looked puzzled/perturbed - I wasn't sure which, and then said regarding my nationality, and truly with the wave of her hand, "United States, North American...it's the same thing." And she would not correct my card.
Yes some Europeans are very ignorant when it come to North America.

In the 1980's in England, I noticed that when asked if I were American, I would answer no, I'm Canadian. Their response, well that's America. They weren't being ignorant, but factual since they explained to them America was The America's. I explained that actually IN North America Canadians make the distinction because people of the US called themselves Americans.

Anyway, thing have changed, and now America seems to mean the US more and more...then there are those that you have to explain that there are actually different countries in North America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 02:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
By its nature civil war is anti anywhere it occurs

Old 09-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Keep in mind too, the US becoming a nation was basically the violent overthrow of a sitting govt (England). We celebrate and honor what all those patriots did in those days, destruction of property, resorting to violence, etc. That was patriotic by definition.

If a group of people tried the exact same thing today (violently breaking free to form a new nation), I have a feeling they would be viewed as terrorists by many.
Yes, they would be, just as it was back then.

But if they were successful in breaking away and turned the piece of the US into a new successful nation, then in generations to come those fighters would be considered patriotic heroes by their descendants.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Hasn't this "who should be called Americans" issue been beaten to death in 2 different threads, in the past 2 weeks?

Old 09-24-2018, 02:22 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes some Europeans are very ignorant when it come to North America.

In the 1980's in England, I noticed that when asked if I were American, I would answer no, I'm Canadian. Their response, well that's America. They weren't being ignorant, but factual since they explained to them America was The America's. I explained that actually IN North America Canadians make the distinction because people of the US called themselves Americans.

Anyway, thing have changed, and now America seems to mean the US more and more...then there are those that you have to explain that there are actually different countries in North America
The "Americas" are not America, they are North America and South America. We have more of a right to name our own nation than foreigners do, and we named our country America. We didn't need anyone's permission or approval to name our nation nor do we need it to keep that name when some foreigners decide not to recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Hasn't this "who should be called Americans" issue been beaten to death in 2 different threads, in the past 2 weeks?
You'd think but then some foreigner and/or leftist chimes in to tell us we don't have the right to name our own nation and we have to go through it all over again.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
The "Americas" are not America, they are North America and South America. We have more of a right to name our own nation than foreigners do, and we named our country America. We didn't need anyone's permission or approval to name our nation nor do we need it to keep that name when some foreigners decide not to recognize it.

You'd think but then some foreigner and/or leftist chimes in to tell us we don't have the right to name our own nation and we have to go through it all over again.
Go back and read my post again. It seems you have fully misunderstood it.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times
Does what people consider to be anti American vary according to the individual and/or group espousing sentiment that could be considered anti American ? I mean do we let Americans more off the hook than foreigners when it comes to criticism of our country ?

Old 09-26-2018, 11:48 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Anyone residing on this continent whether Canadian or Mexican is American and those in the South were also American. They were just anti-USA because they believed persecution of a minority was okay.
Their viewpoint did not match our founders who formed the new world with a foundation of not allowing persecution.
If by persecution you mean slavery, I would disagree.

4 out of the first 5 U.S. Presidents were Virginians and slave owners. They even brought their slaves into the White House. Hired-out slaves partially built the U.S. Capitol building. (Ironic, since the figure atop its dome, is called the "Statue of Freedom")

Even Ben Franklin, a northerner, owned 2 household slaves, and his newspaper commonly advertised slaves for sale.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, they would be, just as it was back then.

But if they were successful in breaking away and turned the piece of the US into a new successful nation, then in generations to come those fighters would be considered patriotic heroes by their descendants.
Yes. If England had triumphed over America in the American Revolution, all the historical patriots and heroes we celebrate, would have went down in history as terrorists, its really interesting to think about it from that perspective.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:34 PM

651 posts, read 416,077 times
Default the American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes. If England had triumphed over America in the American Revolution, all the historical patriots and heroes we celebrate, would have went down in history as terrorists, its really interesting to think about it from that perspective.
Sometimes ago I read the text of the American National Anthem. Before I didn't know the translation of the Anthem. But English isn't my native language and I try to learn the text of good and famous English songs (mostly hits) by heart.

When I began to translate the text ... I smiled and was very surprised. This is a great historical symbol. I know or understand a few anthems but the American Anthem is the special one. This is like a real flash or photo from XVIII century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates