Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

First, I want to be clear that although I am now an agnostic (former Methodist), I have always LOVED Easter, the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

However, lately, these holidays seem to be the cause of disharmony between Americans rather than occasions for both friends and strangers to just share a good time together. Every one of the holidays I listed now have some controversy attached to them, with some people saying that the 4th of July celebrates our white heritage too much, that celebrating Halloween is pagan and unChristian, that Thanksgiving is a travesty because of what the Pilgrims and others did to the natives, and that such things as community Easter Egg hunts or "Breakfast with Santa" are exclusionary (or worse) to people of other religions.

Now, I personally would not like to see those holidays entirely omitted from public notice, but reading some of the comments on some of the current and recent threads (both pro and con about any certain holiday), it makes me think that the public celebration of these holidays are causing more ill will lately than good will.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
That's too bad because I will continue to celebrate these holidays even if it causes distress for other people.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
OP - it sounds to me like you are paying too much attention to click bait headlines and the fringe of the population. Some people like to complain about everything, but it is a small number who have any problem with public celebration of the holidays you listed. Relax and enjoy them!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:34 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
OP - it sounds to me like you are paying too much attention to click bait headlines and the fringe of the population. Some people like to complain about everything, but it is a small number who have any problem with public celebration of the holidays you listed. Relax and enjoy them!
Yes, you are probably right on the bold (at least I hope so) and definitely correct about the rest of your post!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have always LOVED Easter, the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
You have them listed in a nice order, first we celebrate someone is resurrected from the dead, we set off fireworks, there's a night where the dead come to life (only one night, they are still dead), we put on a big feed to fatten ourselves up for winter, and a Jolly man comes around and hands out presents!!

I honestly do not see what the fuss is all about...

Old 12-12-2018, 12:13 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
First, I want to be clear that although I am now an agnostic (former Methodist), I have always LOVED Easter, the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

However, lately, these holidays seem to be the cause of disharmony between Americans rather than occasions for both friends and strangers to just share a good time together. Every one of the holidays I listed now have some controversy attached to them, with some people saying that the 4th of July celebrates our white heritage too much, that celebrating Halloween is pagan and unChristian, that Thanksgiving is a travesty because of what the Pilgrims and others did to the natives, and that such things as community Easter Egg hunts or "Breakfast with Santa" are exclusionary (or worse) to people of other religions.

Now, I personally would not like to see those holidays entirely omitted from public notice, but reading some of the comments on some of the current and recent threads (both pro and con about any certain holiday), it makes me think that the public celebration of these holidays are causing more ill will lately than good will.

What do you think?
I think ... I don’t much care if somebody feels excluded after they self-exclude themselves from festivities. Am I obligated to enable someone’s passive-aggressive tendencies now?

I’ve never seen anyone excluded from community events based on common knowledge of religion or country of origin & it’s not like our government forces all citizens to participate in fasting observations, or to sign notarized pledges regarding what they will give up for Lent.

I suppose they would be free to go into work on Christmas Day, or to return any holiday pay but I’ve never seen that happen either.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:54 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Exactly.

There's no stress or distress in OUR household regarding these holidays. We celebrate, and enjoy them as a family, and will continue to do so, just as we always have. NO one is going to steal our joy or freedom in celebrating them to the fullest as we so choose.

It's just social media that causes and manufactures distress and controversy. When you give yourself a break from all that "noise" and nonsense, you'll be amazed at what you DON'T miss.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
However, lately, these holidays seem to be the cause of disharmony ...
What do you think?
I think there are a LOT of Christian people in the US
and because so many of them want to have Christmas off to celebrate...
the NATION as a whole agrees to accommodate that practical reality.

The only problem with this sort of arrangement is when SOME PEOPLE
choose to use this sort of concession as an excuse to recast the nature of the national government
(as also being Christian). Most of them know better but they do persist.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-12-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
I will continue to celebrate all the holidays and days of festivities. At Christmas time, I not only decorate inside but outside as well. If our country's customs and celebratory days offend, those people are free to stay inside like hermits or move to a country where none of that is celebrated. From what I've seen in my travels, they can pretty much rule out living in any western country if they want to avoid Christmas.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Should there be no public acknowledgment of some holidays whatsoever?

In my opinion, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's too bad because I will continue to celebrate these holidays even if it causes distress for other people.

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
You have them listed in a nice order, first we celebrate someone is resurrected from the dead, we set off fireworks, there's a night where the dead come to life (only one night, they are still dead), we put on a big feed to fatten ourselves up for winter, and a Jolly man comes around and hands out presents!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

I honestly do not see what the fuss is all about...
Well, there are people of a different or non existent religious persuasion who may not be pleased but the way I see it this IS America and these ARE a part of our social fabric at least for the time being. As far as the foreseeable future I couldn't say with an accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I will continue to celebrate all the holidays and days of festivities. At Christmas time, I not only decorate inside but outside as well. If our country's customs and celebratory days offend, those people are free to stay inside like hermits or move to a country where none of that is celebrated. From what I've seen in my travels, they can pretty much rule out living in any western country if they want to avoid Christmas.

Again, I agree wholeheartedly.

I remember well all the brouhaha concerning nativity scenes...but it seems some are here to stay...for now at least.

Supreme Court: You Can Only Have Public Nativity Scenes If They Don’t Mean Anything
Many people know Bryan, Ohio — if they know it at all — as the home of Dum-Dum lollipops. But in northwestern Ohio, Bryan is famous for another thing: its annual “Christmas on the Square” celebration.

Supreme Court: You Can Only Have Public Nativity Scenes If They Don

Despite hostility, Nativity scenes in the U.S. are ‘here to stay’

https://cruxnow.com/ap/2016/12/23/despite-hostility-nativity-scenes-u-s-stay/

Conflicts continue over nativity scenes on public property
A new Pew Research Center survey finds that most Americans favor allowing religious displays like nativity scenes to be placed on government property.

Most Americans favor allowing nativity scenes on public property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates