U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 AM

13,710 posts, read 9,811,412 times

Advertisements

The world is divided into two groups :
• People who have Creator endowed rights*, and
• People who want to take them for their own benefit.

(* Rights to life, natural liberty, personal liberty, inherent powers, absolute ownership, privileges and immunities not dependent upon consent, etc.)

America’s governments were instituted to secure endowed rights of the people in the first group. Unfortunately, those governments were infiltrated by people from the second group (i.e., predators, parasites, etc).

I am not sure any "wing" advocates securing endowed rights for all men.
One wing is advocating "tax and bribe" and the other is advocating "bribe and tax."
The only difference are the recipients and the donors, under glorious collectivism, enforced by a “benevolent” Totalitarian Police State, perpetually bankrupt and under the dominion of usurers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:10 AM

7,425 posts, read 2,181,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? Has oppression and injustice been erased from the planet? Until that time, people will fight for social justice.

How is this a bad thing?
Social justice does not treat everyone equally. By definition it is NOT justice.

It decides that you belong to group X therefore you get more. It decides that you belong to group Y therefore you get less.

Across the board, arbitrarily, no other explanation except whatever identity label has been slapped on you defines what you "deserve".

Example: Asian kid has tremendously high test scores, lives at poverty level in inner city, desperate for scholarship for college. Black kid has poor test scores, parents are middle class and can afford to take out loans. Who gets the scholarship? The black kid ... because he's black and that's the social justice quota that the college needs to fill. The college is full up on Asians, so that poor Asian kid with the high test scores who worked his butt off and can't afford it ... is SOL, and doesn't get the scholarship.

That is how "social" justice works.

It is not justice. It creates injustice.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 AM

12,328 posts, read 7,473,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems as if you think that one has to be EITHER for individual people OR for the common good. That's very limited thinking. Both are important.
On the contrary; that disparity is what separates those who, when there's not enough bread to satisfy everybody, seek a way to bake more bread rather that merely "redistribute" and ration a dwindling supply. There is no such thing as a "greater common good" - it's just a buzz-phrase used by those who seek greater concentration of power in their hands, at the expense of the rest of us.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:39 AM

7,954 posts, read 3,119,031 times
Quote:
Huh? Has oppression and injustice been erased from the planet? Until that time, people will fight for social justice.

How is this a bad thing?
Quote:
My definition is in my earlier response. I don't play politics or take sides. I care about people.
You didn't actually define the term in your earlier response. You said that as long as certain conditions existed then people would fight for social justice but you didn't say what that is.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 AM

2,688 posts, read 1,763,280 times
Quote:

How is this a bad thing?
It’s a bad thing when those groups create oppression and injustice themselves.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM

23,405 posts, read 17,427,675 times
I vote mostly Republican, but you could consider me an old school "little l" liberal.

I'm a very open-minded person. I stick out quite a bit here in small town, traditional Tennessee. I'm bisexual. I believe in the Second Amendment, but I'm not an NRA guy and don't feel that strongly about it. I'm not religious. I'm also not into all the causes of the far left.

I absolutely think the SJWs are among the most dangerous people in society. I've had plenty of liberal friends over the years. Most are reasonable enough to have a conversation with, or even be personal friends with. These people aren't. They're slash and burn unless you're completely on board with them.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,012,260 times
I'm often critical of the social justice left for being overly dogmatic ideologues and embracing tactics that alienate rather than convert people to their cause.

But, I think these discussions can take on a "fine people on both sides" quality to them. Some people become outraged about the overreach of SJW types, but indifferent about genuinely awful racism, bigotry.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:40 PM

4,717 posts, read 1,180,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The social justice movement is a threat to many freedoms. In fact, certain sects of the SJW cult are unwittingly working against themselves.
Thanks. I have been trying to figure out what SJW meant. I was thinking single jewish something....lol

Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 PM

4,094 posts, read 4,711,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I'm often critical of the social justice left for being overly dogmatic ideologues and embracing tactics that alienate rather than convert people to their cause.

But, I think these discussions can take on a "fine people on both sides" quality to them. Some people become outraged about the overreach of SJW types, but indifferent about genuinely awful racism, bigotry.
I dislike extremists. Regardless of which "side" they occupy.

SJW/Antifa, Neo Nazi, KKK, BLM, PETA, Scientologists, and so forth. They are all the same to me. Spiteful, ignorant people who live life by ideology over reason. All of them dangerous.

At least in my case, I won't deride one and show indifference to another.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:19 PM

13,710 posts, read 9,811,412 times
Quote:
How is this a bad thing?
When anyone who "has" is denounced as an oppressor by anyone who "has not," that's a BAD THING.
When merit and ability are replaced by quotas and privilege, that's a BAD THING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or