Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 AM

62,576 posts, read 28,768,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ugh!

I grew up in a town with mainly Protestants and Catholics, and a handful of Jews. Most of the people were white, but about five percent of my public school classmates were African-American. The town had a rather sizable minority of immigrants from Sicily and their children, with many still speaking Sicilian Italian; 2nd and 3rd generation Irish who had not yet intermarried outside their ethnic group and about 50% descendants of Yankees from New England and the handful of Jews of Eastern European origin. It was a wonderful environment to grow up in...even when prejudice reared its head, as it did every now and then. It was a capsule of American history.

Most of those Europeans that you mentioned however became a part of the melting pot and wanted to be American in every way and assimilated into our society not so much with the immigrants of today. We have too many from one ethnic/cultural group today which is different from past immigrants who came from all over Europe so colonization didn't happen back then. Most of the immigrants from Europe were Christians also either Catholic or Protestant. Today we are getting many from religions that are not compatible with Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most of those Europeans that you mentioned however became a part of the melting pot and wanted to be American in every way and assimilated into our society not so much with the immigrants of today. We have too many from one ethnic/cultural group today which is different from past immigrants who came from all over Europe so colonization didn't happen back then. Most of the immigrants from Europe were Christians also either Catholic or Protestant. Today we are getting many from religions that are not compatible with Christianity.
Good point.
Looks like the native population wasn't compatible with Christian values and look what happened to them.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 23 days ago)

34,565 posts, read 16,631,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I can't stand "diversity" politics or admissions.

I know Black people that got 1400+ on their SATs that are pissed off, rightly, that their applications were passed over for other Black people with significantly lower scores due to "a lesser degree of adversity" than that applicant.

"WHAT?! The adversity of being a dumb s---?"
I'd love a mainstream link on that because that's my instinct too. My sister-in-law has a close friend whose son is half Native-American. He got 1600 on his SAT's but didn't get into Stanford. I forget where he's going but I think it is an Ivy League school. But the point remains.

The reason "Make America Great Again" resonated, despite its demagogic undertones, is that we have lost our focus on excellence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good point.
Looks like the native population wasn't compatible with Christian values and look what happened to them.
It is tragic but primitive people almost always lose in a contest with more advanced people. The Roman Empire being the only exception I can think of.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:11 PM

62,576 posts, read 28,768,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good point.
Actually, no one was native to this continent back then. Everyone migrated here from somewhere else. It's not Christian like to murder anyone and the Amerindians were just as guilty of doing so. It was a primitive time back then and only the strongest survived. The Amerindians are still alive and well today. I was speaking more of the early 1900's after those occurances when immigrants arrived through Ellis Island and we were already established as a country. They joined the melting pot and most wanted to be Americans in every way.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,765,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
This Princeton professor has an interesting take on "diversity"

And:https://archive.is/o/LEIdJ/www.princ...f%20Others.pdf

And how can policies like this be considered fair?

Not to mention this.

This admissions study reaffirmed the importance of extra-curricular activities on an application, those who had leadership roles or won awards improved their chances of being accepted even more. Except activities more associated with more rural areas, like junior ROTC, 4-H clubs, and Future Farmers of America. Students who participated in these types of activities actually reduced their chances of being accepted, with those in leadership and those who excelled hurt their chances the most, cutting their chance of admission by up to 65%. Unfortunately, the authors don't give any explanation for what they found. On the surface it sounds like obvious discrimination, but there's not enough detail to warrant lighting torches and sharpening the pitchfork.
ZOUNDS! You cad! One must take especial care of their tools!

I keep my pitchfork sharpened to a pointy-sharp-point at all times. And my torches are well oiled, with a magnesium lighter to hand for quick lighting thereof. One should always be ready to join a mob of villagers ready to storm the lair of the mad scientist, vampire, werewolf, lawyer, or other creatures of evil.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,765,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Time and again we have seen when the government gets involved with something they botch it up.

Shouldn't the best person for the job get the job?
Shouldn't the best students get to go to college?

Affirmative Action/ Diversity whatever they want to call it is not good for the general population because it stifles the opportunity for people to lift themselves up to a higher standard.

Affirmative Action tells minorities that it is OK to not be as smart as a a white/Asia person when they should be studying harder to earn a spot in college.
Oh bull. The problem is that the SAT/ACT and similar tests are horribly culturally biased.

The truth is theses tests are SUPPOSED to be indicators of possible future success in college, but the test scores do not correlate AT ALL to future success. One obvious example of this is the gender gap - women routinely score lower on these tests, but do FAR better than men in actual college classes.

Clearly, women should not "accept" that they are not "as smart" as a white male. Because they are actually SMARTER, despite the test scores.

The tests are biased. So are all IQ tests. They are culturally, racially, and gender biased. They are nonsense. EXPENSIVE nonsense that you want to use to keep black people away from the chance to advance themselves. Black people are not dumber than white people. BIGOTS are dumber than non-bigots, though. For sure.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:50 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,274,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Oh bull. The problem is that the SAT/ACT and similar tests are horribly culturally biased.

The truth is theses tests are SUPPOSED to be indicators of possible future success in college, but the test scores do not correlate AT ALL to future success. One obvious example of this is the gender gap - women routinely score lower on these tests, but do FAR better than men in actual college classes.

Clearly, women should not "accept" that they are not "as smart" as a white male. Because they are actually SMARTER, despite the test scores.

The tests are biased. So are all IQ tests. They are culturally, racially, and gender biased. They are nonsense. EXPENSIVE nonsense that you want to use to keep black people away from the chance to advance themselves. Black people are not dumber than white people. BIGOTS are dumber than non-bigots, though. For sure.
The first bold statement kinda shows YOU to be bigoted against intellectual metrics.

The second bold statement is absolutely true...

Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 AM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times
Diversity is meaningless when it's engineered. That's all I have to say about it.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,606,873 times
Quote:
Actually, no one was native to this continent back then. Everyone migrated here from somewhere else. It's not Christian like to murder anyone and the Amerindians were just as guilty of doing so. It was a primitive time back then and only the strongest survived. The Amerindians are still alive and well today. I was speaking more of the early 1900's after those occurances when immigrants arrived through Ellis Island and we were already established as a country. They joined the melting pot and most wanted to be Americans in every way.
Trust me, Stan4 knows what you are talking about. Some people sincerely hate 'White America' so much that they love to pretend that the events of 150 to 500 years ago have some type of relevance to the destruction of the way of life that 'made America great' that is occurring today. Every single nation on earth is made up of immigrants from SOMEWHERE, but only the foolish or weak are allowing themselves to be colonized by those who desire to eradicate their way of life.

If a thousand of Putin's closest friends emigrated to the US, assimilated into our culture, and started companies that employed themselves and 1,000s of current Americans, that would be awesome. If they started companies that only employed other Russians, and lived in enclaves where current Americans are not welcome, and used the proceeds to continue and escalate that cycle while destroying jobs for others, that would be BAD for the USA.

If the Native Americans could have wiped out the European and involuntary African settlers of the Americas, they would have done it in a heartbeat. They destroyed other Native American peoples when they had the chance. It's always been 'Us vs. Them', throughout time, until all of 'Us' or all of 'Them' are dead, assimilated, or separated into separate nations or 'districts'.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:01 PM

50,306 posts, read 23,903,054 times
Quote:
I can see how racial diversity can play an important role genetically but cultural diversity within a society not so much. All you end up with is a clash of ideals, religious beliefs, languages and other factors that makes us incompatible with one another. I think that a homogenous society "culturally" makes for a much more peaceful society.
Well, you're certainly not in tune with people I know and work with.

So what country are you going to move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates