U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:49 AM

1,504 posts, read 734,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't get these repeat winners, but I've read about a lot of them. It takes some incredible good fortune to win over a million dollars by playing the lottery, but to do it twice? I'd like to see someone research this and try and explain how some people beat the mathematical odds like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
He is the only person Ive heard of that has won twice, both times being multi millions, but surprisingly I know a few other people that consistently win things, one guy constantly wins scratch off lotto tickets, (he doesnt win huge amounts though, its usually around $500-1000, although he has hit over $20K a few times), another friend wins radio call in type contests very often...

I dont think 'luck' has anything to do with it, as I do not believe some people are more lucky than others. Im not sure how they win like this.

My wife has a friend like your friend, he is always winning local scratch tickets, and sometimes big. But in their case this person is also always giving of themselves, volunteering at food clinics, giving back as much as possible, and when winning larger sums, donates the extra winnings to local charities.

So it could be argued karma has a role in how lucky you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 AM

5,454 posts, read 792,516 times
Quote:
Thing is though, most people say the same thing...but when you see your new bank balance after the winnings are deposited, I would imagine that changes someones mentality pretty quick.
I think age has a lot to do with it, though.

When I was young, although I was intelligent, I had no real money sense except for trying to make sure that my monthly outgo did not exceed my monthly income. However, like many younger people, my income was not enough for unexpected major expenses, and so I fell into the credit card trap, yet whenever I would receive unexpected cash and did not have an urgent need for it, I would usually "blow" it -- usually on nice dinner out or a vacation, but once for a down payment on a new Fiat Spider. (This was what my then-husband wanted; he was 24 at the time.)

However, after I married my current husband and we were in my 40's and started receiving monetary inheritances at about ten-year intervals (not HUGE amounts of money, but more than 'just' a couple of thousand dollars), we learned to just use those gifts to pay off first our debts, and then our mortgage at the time, and then put the rest in the bank.

Because of that -- but mainly because we have worked hard for most of our lives and looked at the long-term instead of the short-term --we are looking at a comfortable (although not extravagant by ANY stretch of the imagination) retirement. (Knock wood!!!)

Old 11-08-2018, 08:42 AM

7,217 posts, read 1,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
My wife has a friend like your friend, he is always winning local scratch tickets, and sometimes big. But in their case this person is also always giving of themselves, volunteering at food clinics, giving back as much as possible, and when winning larger sums, donates the extra winnings to local charities.

The friend of mine that constantly wins scratch games is the total opposite of your friend...he likes to hoard money, even from his wife.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:24 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,181,493 times
Most of the lottery winners going broke are much, much, much smaller lottery prizes than the big Powerball and Megamillions jackpots. Very few people are winning $50m+ and going broke. Not saying it never happens, but it is exceedingly rare.

The lotto winners going broke are usually dealing with prizes on the order of $250k, $1m, maybe even $5m. While that's a lot of money, it certainly isn't unimaginable to go broke if you had that kind of windfall. Especially if you aren't used to managing money which lottery winners tend not to be (that's why they are they playing lotteries in the first place )

Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Most of the lottery winners going broke are much, much, much smaller lottery prizes than the big Powerball and Megamillions jackpots. Very few people are winning $50m+ and going broke. Not saying it never happens, but it is exceedingly rare.

The lotto winners going broke are usually dealing with prizes on the order of $250k, $1m, maybe even $5m. While that's a lot of money, it certainly isn't unimaginable to go broke if you had that kind of windfall. Especially if you aren't used to managing money which lottery winners tend not to be (that's why they are they playing lotteries in the first place )
That is true, if someone wins $100 mill or up, they could spend lavishly on just the interest alone, and be fine the rest of their lives.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM

20,011 posts, read 13,542,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post

I remember hearing a guy from Michigan get interviewed, he won over a million dollars in the lottery on two separate occasions. He said that he believed that he would win both times, and he guaranteed that he would win the lottery a third time.

This was probably 15 years ago when I heard him speak, but he said belief is why he won the first two times. I don't know if he ever won the lottery again, but I think he wrote a book on how to win it.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM

4,540 posts, read 5,421,424 times
To quote Nietzsche, about your Sweden “common good” comment, “Whatever is common by definition cannot be good.” No thanks to any society where mediocrity is celebrated, that’s a civilization in decline.

Of course money brings happiness, but only to those who know how to use it, much like any tool. A lot of people are too dumb, especially lottery players, and they have no clue how to put it to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Would you rather have a 1 in 200,000 chance of winning $250,000 (do the taxes yourself), or a 1 in 200,000,000 chance of winning $250 million? I would prefer the former. A thousand times better chance of winning, none of the hassles of winning way too much, and for me, $250,000 is life-changing. I don't require six houses and a dozen sportscars to feel better.
I wouldn’t play such a small lottery. $250K wouldn’t make any difference to my life whatsoever. If you said $2.5M after taxes, sure, that sounds great and it would make a difference though wouldn’t be life changing. But $250K is not much money at all. I wouldn’t say no to it, but play the lottery to win it?! No way.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
To quote Nietzsche, about your Sweden “common good” comment, “Whatever is common by definition cannot be good.” No thanks to any society where mediocrity is celebrated, that’s a civilization in decline.

Of course money brings happiness, but only to those who know how to use it, much like any tool. A lot of people are too dumb, especially lottery players, and they have no clue how to put it to use.

I wouldn’t play such a small lottery. $250K wouldn’t make any difference to my life whatsoever. If you said $2.5M after taxes, sure, that sounds great and it would make a difference though wouldn’t be life changing. But $250K is not much money at all. I wouldn’t say no to it, but play the lottery to win it?! No way.
Seriously, $1 or 2 for the chance to win 250K...thats WELL worth it.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 PM

5,303 posts, read 1,508,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Winning the lottery is better for people who don’t blow the money in a couple years.
Whether you’re a burger flipper or billionaire, money has to be managed responsibly.
Well, sure. But clearly that often isn't happening.

Maybe the people buying lottery tickets - a pretty illogical thing to pin your hopes on - are intrinsically less likely to be financially responsible?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 PM

4,540 posts, read 5,421,424 times
Quote:
Seriously, $1 or 2 for the chance to win 250K...thats WELL worth it.
Not for me. I only buy tickets to the biggest lotteries of all time, $300M and up and usually lately more like $450M or up. I am not wasting $1-2 on a chance to win a small sum of money. If I win a lottery I want it to be at least enough for a nice house so $2.5M would be minimum but as I said I don’t play lotteries that are small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or