U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 01:27 PM

55,728 posts, read 54,309,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
That's me too. I feel sorry for the dog.
It angers me that they use the dog in that way, and I've noticed that often there is a bowl of food and water there for the dog, which I think is their way of saying, "See, I'm taking care of my dog before myself." That's another trick to garner more sympathy.

As I already said, if you watch, you'll see the same dog passed around and used by different beggars, and I always wonder what happens to the poor animal when they are done using it as a prop. Heroin addiction harms far more than just the person sticking the needle in their arm.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:30 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,947,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My wife has a rule. If they have a dog, and it's safe to do so, we'll give them a couple of bucks. Hopefully, the dog gets some food.
Admittedly, I'm the same way... a few times on Haight Street (San Francisco), I bought a McDonad's hamburger for this one guy's dog! The dog almost tried to follow me home, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 PM

6,463 posts, read 2,317,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!

I do sometimes, I don't sometimes.

Last time I gave money to the homeless, I was at a local gas station that I go to sometimes on my way to work. I happen to know that homeless people do hang around close by. It's almost literally "down by the river." It was last winter, and it was cold. Mid 20's, if I remember correctly.

I noticed a man and a woman standing over by the side of the gas station, dressed in insulated overalls, knit hats, gloves, etc. Each of them had loaded up like... camping backpacks.

When I came back out, I happened to have a $10 bill. I walked over to them and said something like "I bet you could use this to buy some coffee or something. They said thank you, and took the money. They weren't begging for it, and I don't know...I just thought I saw a need there.

People approaching me in parking lots and on street corners? No. That's about as predatory as it gets and I don't believe for a moment their sad stories.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
That's me too. I feel sorry for the dog.
For the most part, they take better care of their pets than they do themselves... and Cesar Milan had an interesting theory on homeless people's dogs, regarding how their relationships are more "natural" than those of us with house dogs. It's in their nature to be constantly traveling, and following a pack leader without needing a leash. So unless I see obvious neglect or abuse, I really don't worry much about them.

I actually got one of my cats from a homeless man, when he was leaving town and couldn't take her along. She had originally "adopted" him, on the street where I used to work, and I'd often help by giving them cans/bags of cat food. One day I forgot to bring the food, so I gave him $10 instead - and a short time later, he popped his head into the library (where I worked), and showed me this big case of cat food. He was like "See, I spent it ALL on her!!" I'd even told him to use half of it for himself, but he decided she needed the food more than he did. I've had that cat for 10 years now, btw, and she's been a wonderful companion.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-14-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It angers me that they use the dog in that way, and I've noticed that often there is a bowl of food and water there for the dog, which I think is their way of saying, "See, I'm taking care of my dog before myself." That's another trick to garner more sympathy.

As I already said, if you watch, you'll see the same dog passed around and used by different beggars, and I always wonder what happens to the poor animal when they are done using it as a prop. Heroin addiction harms far more than just the person sticking the needle in their arm.
So many of you are way too bitter and cynical... not to mention judgmental (maybe not you personally), when I'm sure none of us are perfect.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:15 PM

677 posts, read 178,014 times
We have a trillion dollar war debt that we incurred to keep the rich with lined pockets. We have our politicians buying expensive furniture for their offices with our tax dollars. Interesting that we abandoned the mental institutions for all of that. Trillions more to added to our debt from the corporate tax cuts too.

Last edited by Snowpacked; 09-14-2018 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 03:01 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,386,256 times
I do give and I give food. I may not make a change but for one small moment some one got a hot sandwich. I've been the receiptant of a random act of kindness, I know it can make a small difference.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So many of you are way too bitter and cynical... not to mention judgmental (maybe not you personally), when I'm sure none of us are perfect.
None of us are perfect, but we don't have to choose to be stupid, either. You work in Manhattan for a few decades, you hear these stories, see these tricks, day after day, year after year. I know what a junkie looks like and acts like. I have a brother in the cemetery who used to be one. You know how you can tell they are lying? Their lips are moving. Or, in some case, they write their lies in black marker on pieces of cardboard.

It still bothers me to walk down a sidewalk on a winter morning and see piles of blankets alongside a building, knowing that there is a human being sleeping under there because that's better than the danger of a public shelter.

Do I have the power to fix it? No, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I will do what I can along with the rest of concerned society to see that food is available to everyone. I will not diminish my contribution to food resources for the poor by giving some of it away for drug use, even though I sympathize with their addiction. If they want food, they know where and how to get it, but it's not food they want the money for.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For the most part, they take better care of their pets than they do themselves... and Cesar Milan had an interesting theory on homeless people's dogs, regarding how their relationships are more "natural" than those of us with house dogs. It's in their nature to be constantly traveling, and following a pack leader without needing a leash. So unless I see obvious neglect or abuse, I really don't worry much about them.

I actually got one of my cats from a homeless man, when he was leaving town and couldn't take her along. She had originally "adopted" him, on the street where I used to work, and I'd often help by giving them cans/bags of cat food. One day I forgot to bring the food, so I gave him $10 instead - and a short time later, he popped his head into the library (where I worked), and showed me this big case of cat food. He was like "See, I spent it ALL on her!!" I'd even told him to use half of it for himself, but he decided she needed the food more than he did. I've had that cat for 10 years now, btw, and she's been a wonderful companion.
That's a good story.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 PM

14,316 posts, read 7,883,410 times
I will never never give some one on the street begging for money any, not even change. I will ask them if they are hungry and if I can get them something to eat. I haven't had anyone take me up on my offer yet, but they will take your money. Sorry, but I will not support anyone's addiction, or laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or