Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 AM

510 posts, read 447,186 times

Advertisements

To what do you attribute the breakdown of society?

I see it resulting from lack of faith in God, breakdown in families, greed on all levels.

Do you agree or disagree and why?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post

I see it resulting from lack of faith in God, breakdown in families, greed on all levels.

It has much to do with mentorship, and the lack of mentorship.

Ideas are spread and must be debated. The problem with reality is that it is personal, and not all realities are viable.

Faith in God is an idea, some people do not need the idea of someone looking over their shoulder to be good people.

The Nazi regime, communist leaders like Stalin and Mao, all had ideas and realities and I would argue that their realities yielded unstable social structures... what you are calling "breakdowns'.

Unstable social structures have to breakdown, because humanity does not paint it's realities on a canvass of peace and stability, but on a canvass of suffering and chaos.

I would say in the United States major breakdowns that yielded a more stable society were the end of slavery and the civil rights movement, no one will argue that those events were not the right thing to do.

Also remember that there are more people in the world, so that's more events in the human domain with the probability being high of the LACK of mentorship and of isolated communites/societies going down the same road of unstable social ideas.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Two main causes ( at least here in the US)

1. Diversity

2. Liberalism

Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Two main causes ( at least here in the US)

1. Diversity

2. Liberalism

I disagree with Diversity as a breakdown of society. That's wrong on so many levels. Name one prominent culture that did not have do deal with diversity? Even within a homogeneous society IDEAS can be diversity, and unless your talking about the shallow idea of race or skin colors, IDEAS are the definition of diversity.

2. Liberalism? The only way of dealing with the diversity of ideas is by being liberal.

Liberal -open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

I would say a traditional value of women being expected to stay at home and having many children may not have a place in society anymore, however if a woman does want to stay at home and have children then that is by far a more powerful contribution to society than being forced to do that. I expect that example can be applied across a wide range of traditional values, that forcing choices on people yields less than having them choose their own roles in society. (With mentorship of course, and peer review.)

Society must reward those with the most utility, and incentivize the right behaviors not the wrong.

An example of having the incentive on the wrong behavior is in our medical industry here in the United Sates, where doctors make more money from an unhealthy populace rather than making the most money from a healthy one.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
I disagree with Diversity as a breakdown of society. That's wrong on so many levels. Name one prominent culture that did not have do deal with diversity? Even within a homogeneous society IDEAS can be diversity, and unless your talking about the shallow idea of race or skin colors, IDEAS are the definition of diversity.

2. Liberalism? The only way of dealing with the diversity of ideas is by being liberal.

Liberal -open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

I would say a traditional value of women being expected to stay at home and having many children may not have a place in society anymore, however if a woman does want to stay at home and have children then that is by far a more powerful contribution to society than being forced to do that. I expect that example can be applied across a wide range of traditional values, that forcing choices on people yields less than having them choose their own roles in society. (With mentorship of course, and peer review.)

Society must reward those with the most utility, and incentivize the right behaviors not the wrong.

An example of having the incentive on the wrong behavior is in our medical industry here in the United Sates, where doctors make more money from an unhealthy populace rather than making the most money from a healthy one.

I rest my case !

Oh yeah, I forgot to include the epidemic of single Motherhood .

According to 2017 U.S. Census Bureau, out of about 12 million single parent families with children under the age of 18, more than 80% were headed by single mothers.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
The left embracing all aspects of degeneracy as a part of their political platform, regardless of religious aspects. I'm 100% atheist yet have no issue following the laws, norms and morals which have been the foundation of civil society for generations.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Society has been challenged for generations. But it’s resilient. Decency, morals and respect for others always prevail in the long run.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I used to read about the decline of the Roman Empire (and of other highly developed societies) and it seems to be that a lot of it was due to the lowering of standards and greed with resultant corruption.

If I had more time, I'd explain more--but to make it quick--when a group of people live together they need rules. Human nature requires this. This country is a huge group. We need laws and we need to follow the laws. The businesses and big corporations need rules and they need to follow them.

For quite a while now, it's been about lowering our standards, anything goes. Look at the dumbing down of our educational system. Now you need a college education to learn what we used to learn in high school. It seems okay to not be able to spell or use correct grammar. It seems fine to not know any history--you can always look it up if you want to know it.

It's not any political party, although maybe it's both political parties at their worst extremes. We can't do away with the rules of society. We can't let our country be a free for all with the winners being the strongest, meanest, greediest. Every man for himself works in some ways but in the end, no.

We made some great advances, such as liberating women from the drudgery of being just a housewife and more tolerance and opportunity for races other than white, but somewhere along the way, it went too far.

(I wish I had more time), but in general, I think we needed law and order, rules and regulations, and we needed to have it applied fairly and evenly without regard for some greedy, selfish person making a lot of money or getting to do what THEY want to do while restricting the freedom of others. In a functioning society, everyone has to give a little, compromise, think of the whole instead of just themselves. We became too obsessed with ourselves and didn't care enough about the country as a whole. Who is "we"? When did this begin? Good questions.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-19-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post

It's all of those, but there's much more.

The American people have lost the ability to analyze information, and filter - with their own brains - truth from fiction. People used to verify information first before believing and accepting.

Secondly, no matter how bad things get, the American public will not take action to correct wrongs and evils. We are complacent and ultimately obedient puppets. Nothing will stir us, and those in charge love that and take full advantage of it. Read about earlier Americans - 18th and 19th century - and you'll see a different breed of people. They kept matters in check before problems become too unmanageable.

By the way, it's one word; breakdown.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-19-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to read about the decline of the Roman Empire (and of other highly developed societies) and it seems to be that a lot of it was due to the lowering of standards and greed with resultant corruption.

If I had more time, I'd explain more--but to make it quick--when a group of people live together they need rules. Human nature requires this. This country is a huge group. We need laws and we need to follow the laws. The businesses and big corporations need rules and they need to follow them.

For quite a while now, it's been about lowering our standards, anything goes. Look at the dumbing down of our educational system. Now you need a college education to learn what we used to learn in high school. It seems okay to not be able to spell or use correct grammar. It seems fine to not know any history--you can always look it up if you want to know it.

It's not any political party, although maybe it's both political parties at their worst extremes. We can't do away with the rules of society. We can't let our country be a free for all with the winners being the strongest, meanest, greediest. Every man for himself works in some ways but in the end, no.

We made some great advances, such as liberating women from the drudgery of being just a housewife and more tolerance and opportunity for races other than white, but somewhere along the way, it went too far.

(I wish I had more time), but in general, I think we needed law and order, rules and regulations, and we needed to have it applied fairly and evenly without regard for some greedy, selfish person making a lot of money or getting to do what THEY want to do while restricting the freedom of others. In a functioning society, everyone has to give a little, compromise, think of the whole instead of just themselves. We became too obsessed with ourselves and didn't care enough about the country as a whole. Who is "we"? When did this being? Good questions.
This post, combined with Thoreau424's above post say it pretty well. But, I think people are worried and started to fight back a few years ago. Let the sunshine in to disinfect some of what is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates