Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't mind conversation, or people disagreeing with me, nor am I preaching to any choir....I'm intelligent enough to realize, we all think and feel differently about every single issue, and that is who we are....what I do not like is when someone uses mean words to disagree....then I automatically feel like a bear backed into a corner. I'm not tryint to persuade anyone, believe me, I really don't care what you think and believe, what I care about is when someone comes across Condescending and aloof.

You and others may not think you do, but there is a way to write and a way not to write, so I'll always defend my stance, humanely.

I've spent quit a bit of time in the Politics threads and many other threads here...which tells me your assuming something about someone you don't even know. I invite conversation and disagreement...and can handle it all with big girl panties.

you have your opinion, thoughts and feelings, I have mine...
so....lets
Carry on.

I want to say something else, this is a touchy subject, actually it doesn't matter the subject, there will always be people who disagree...I'm not here to run in a popularity contest, but I am here for personal reasons...and when someone comes into a thread and not only disagrees with me or anyone else,, but treats you like you have 3 eyes, your going to ruffle feathers...question is, did you mean to, or are you trying to persuade people over to your corner.

it s a discussion, that's all it is...and all it ever will be, and yes, we don't all agree with each other, big deal? there are more important things to get upset about....
I must say you seem to spend a lot of time explaining about how you're not really upset...you get ruffled quite easily....even with your big girl panties on. And you manage to make a lot of assumptions about deciding people are making assumptions - way too much pot calling the kettle black going on.

Perhaps the debate can continue rather than you commenting on the commenters?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:56 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
You know, I find it hard to believe, with the advanced brain imaging technology that we possess now, that it's impossible to have a brain scanning process that would detect lies more effectively even than polygraphs. And polygraphs are pretty accurate, actually, though they are not admissible in court, I know lots of people (particularly in this town) who went for security clearances for certain military and government jobs who had to get a polygraph test and be questioned about their lives, to get the clearance and the job. (Actually, I just read a thing, just now, and learned that polygraphs are admitted in court, in 26 states and some federal courts--I didn't know that! Seems, too, that accuracy is estimated at 70-90%.)

Anyhoo. I feel like there has got to be a difference, if you have a rape victim tell their story while their brain is being imaged, if she is lying or telling the truth. Got to be! How can you contemplate trauma like that without some bit of your brain "lighting up" like the 4th of July? Or maybe I just watch too many weird science documentaries.

The problem with our whole legal process with regard to rape and sexual assault and so on, besides the culture and all this, is that so very often, it's impossible to definitively prove with hard evidence. Most rapists do not assault in front of witnesses. And so maybe a victim could prove that sex happened IF they immediately go get a rape kit done, but then there is the question of how you prove it wasn't consensual? As well as the question of whether the kit will be processed?

I think until we find, perfect, and put into practice, some kind of brain-scanning technology to tell truth from lies and clear away the "he said/she said" element, we're going to have trouble making our justice system effective in these cases, which means that victims will still face probably more harm than good, from reporting, and many rapes will go unreported.

Of course our justice system does have this element of, "if you can game the system and win the trial, you can get away with it!" or the American sense that we ought to have a chance to get away with crimes. I mean, would all of us agree to have a device in our car that would report to the authorities if we exceeded the speed limit at any time? We talk about "privacy" a lot but I think sometimes people just want to be able to have some leeway to break laws. Would we be comfortable with plaintiffs and/or defendants needing to have their brains scanned? With some absolute process that would make it literally impossible to lie your way out of a crime? I wonder.

Of course I don't think that the most powerful lawmakers and politicians and leaders and the rich in this country would go for it, not one little bit. Because hey, if they couldn't buy their way out of justice by affording the best lawyers, I think a lot of 'em would be up a creek.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You know, I find it hard to believe, with the advanced brain imaging technology that we possess now, that it's impossible to have a brain scanning process that would detect lies more effectively even than polygraphs. And polygraphs are pretty accurate, actually, though they are not admissible in court, I know lots of people (particularly in this town) who went for security clearances for certain military and government jobs who had to get a polygraph test and be questioned about their lives, to get the clearance and the job. (Actually, I just read a thing, just now, and learned that polygraphs are admitted in court, in 26 states and some federal courts--I didn't know that! Seems, too, that accuracy is estimated at 70-90%.)

Anyhoo. I feel like there has got to be a difference, if you have a rape victim tell their story while their brain is being imaged, if she is lying or telling the truth. Got to be! How can you contemplate trauma like that without some bit of your brain "lighting up" like the 4th of July? Or maybe I just watch too many weird science documentaries.

The problem with our whole legal process with regard to rape and sexual assault and so on, besides the culture and all this, is that so very often, it's impossible to definitively prove with hard evidence. Most rapists do not assault in front of witnesses. And so maybe a victim could prove that sex happened IF they immediately go get a rape kit done, but then there is the question of how you prove it wasn't consensual? As well as the question of whether the kit will be processed?

I think until we find, perfect, and put into practice, some kind of brain-scanning technology to tell truth from lies and clear away the "he said/she said" element, we're going to have trouble making our justice system effective in these cases, which means that victims will still face probably more harm than good, from reporting, and many rapes will go unreported.

Of course our justice system does have this element of, "if you can game the system and win the trial, you can get away with it!" or the American sense that we ought to have a chance to get away with crimes. I mean, would all of us agree to have a device in our car that would report to the authorities if we exceeded the speed limit at any time? We talk about "privacy" a lot but I think sometimes people just want to be able to have some leeway to break laws. Would we be comfortable with plaintiffs and/or defendants needing to have their brains scanned? With some absolute process that would make it literally impossible to lie your way out of a crime? I wonder.

Of course I don't think that the most powerful lawmakers and politicians and leaders and the rich in this country would go for it, not one little bit. Because hey, if they couldn't buy their way out of justice by affording the best lawyers, I think a lot of 'em would be up a creek.

Actually, I think we already have that...the part I bolded. Geico used to advertise that there was this device you could have put on your car, that proved you were a safe driver, which would give you a discount on your car insurance.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I must say you seem to spend a lot of time explaining about how you're not really upset...you get ruffled quite easily....even with your big girl panties on. And you manage to make a lot of assumptions about deciding people are making assumptions - way too much pot calling the kettle black going on.

Perhaps the debate can continue rather than you commenting on the commenters?
you asked me questions and I answer, you accuse and I answer, however, not in the least bit ruffled...you want to continue than I suggest you stop....easy peasy. and you spend an awful lot of time trying to ruffle.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Actually, I think we already have that...the part I bolded. Geico used to advertise that there was this device you could have put on your car, that proved you were a safe driver, which would give you a discount on your car insurance.
Yes, it exists, but what if a law were proposed that made it MANDATORY for everyone, not a voluntary choice to save money...? Would people support that? I doubt it.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yes, it exists, but what if a law were proposed that made it MANDATORY for everyone, not a voluntary choice to save money...? Would people support that? I doubt it.

Ah. I see. Yeah...I agree with you. I think people would make a stink about it. Nanny state and all that. And actually, I guess I'd be one of those people. lol

Old 10-24-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Ah. I see. Yeah...I agree with you. I think people would make a stink about it. Nanny state and all that. And actually, I guess I'd be one of those people. lol
I think I probably would, too.

But I do think that I would support something as absolute as brain scanning for rape or murder cases. If it were like really, really science, beyond a doubt, proof of guilt or innocence type stuff. I do not believe that someone should be able to get away with having legit raped somebody, if they did it but they just got a really good defense and managed to beat the justice system, or there isn't enough evidence because they were smart enough to think it through and cover their tracks. That is one area where I'd for sure support something mandatory that would see perpetrators caught and punished.

Though I think that if we had that, truly foolproof and totally accurate lie detection, and were able to make it mandatory by court order for cases of rape or murder, then we could be safer in making it a felony to make a false rape accusation, we could more credibly clear the names of anyone falsely accused, and statutes of limitations for reporting (if the crime happened after the technology was available) would make more sense. Like now, one has less excuse to not report, and now, it would lay to rest the mania about women lying. Boom. Fixed it. Wouldn't that be great? I think that'd be great.

But I still suspect that enough people in positions of power would worry about being caught for things they actually did do, that they'd prevent such tech from ever being widely available or implemented. But I am suspicious like that.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
No, we do not need to accept "a few innocent men losing their children or their careers". At all.

Would you like it if you were falsely accused of something and the system said "too bad, we need to make it easier for the other party to get justice?"

With DNA testing, social media and technology these days it has never been easier for there other party to document an injustice and come forward. But blind accusations without any evidence should NEVER be allowed to overshadow the presumption of innocence. We'd end up with the Salem Witch Trials again. Which is what I'm seeing on social media with the current Kavanaugh case.
Exactly. I flat out refuse to believe accusations without proof and that proof better hold up in the court of law or I won’t be changing my mind about any public figures. I’ve had enough of the nonsense. Too many liars making up ludicrous stories, even some of the sexual “assaults” didn’t sound like assault but awkward situations where the “victim” had every chance to just leave but didn’t.

I’ve even known girls, ex-friends of my GF, who claimed rape publicly but admitted privately it was just sex they regretted. I will never meet with any girl in private without another girl present at least, no professional meetings that aren’t documented or in public, it’s too risky now days.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Exactly. I flat out refuse to believe accusations without proof and that proof better hold up in the court of law or I won’t be changing my mind about any public figures. I’ve had enough of the nonsense. Too many liars making up ludicrous stories, even some of the sexual “assaults” didn’t sound like assault but awkward situations where the “victim” had every chance to just leave but didn’t.

I’ve even known girls, ex-friends of my GF, who claimed rape publicly but admitted privately it was just sex they regretted. I will never meet with any girl in private without another girl present at least, no professional meetings that aren’t documented or in public, it’s too risky now days.

I am more of the "I flat out refuse to believe accusations that are only 'they said' testimony, and thus evidence is key, since it can be hard to really prove something."

Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,380 times
Nope. Don't get rid of presumption of innocence. That leads to vigilantes and lynch mobs. If anything, this is where presumption of innocence is even more important. What happened to the concept "It's more important to protect the innocent than to punish the guilty"? Let the evidence determine the extent or degree of guilt, not outrage over the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates