Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,495,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I am more of the "I flat out refuse to believe accusations that are only 'they said' testimony, and thus evidence is key, since it can be hard to really prove something."
Thats a big problem with sex crimes though, usually there is NO evidence that 2 people had sex.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,776,197 times
Ireland is having a big issue about a rape case. Pictures of a 17 year old girl's panties were introduced as evidence. I don't think even Victoria's Secret carries one like hers. The defense is arguing that they support consent. Personally, it's hard to imagine why a girl would wear undies like that except to arouse someone.

Now, maybe it wasn't the guy that wound up aroused. But they were meant to be seen for sure.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Ireland is having a big issue about a rape case. Pictures of a 17 year old girl's panties were introduced as evidence. I don't think even Victoria's Secret carries one like hers. The defense is arguing that they support consent. Personally, it's hard to imagine why a girl would wear undies like that except to arouse someone.

Now, maybe it wasn't the guy that wound up aroused. But they were meant to be seen for sure.
That is a good point, not something I had ever thought of.

Pretty much every female I have ever dated, they wore 'sexy' underwear everyday, so there must be some reason they choose to wear those and not just some regular old white underwear (granny panties as they are called sometimes).

Old 11-15-2018, 02:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 14,524,593 times
Really?

Sexy underwear means she consented?

I know MEN who wear lacy women's underwear secretly under their men's clothing, and no one knows. They do it because for whatever reason, it makes THEM feel sexy.

The very thought of introducing a 17 year old's undergarments, having them inspected and ogled by a courtroom full of adults, so as to be able to look at her and tut tut and say she intended seduction and is lying about her assault...my god, it makes me sick.

This is why women don't report and don't try to get justice. This right here. The trial is more traumatic than the rape.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,222,824 times
A wise man once said "The Road to hell is paved in good intentions"

Moral certainty can be used to justify the harm done by failing policies and actions. Those with good intentions believe their practices are good for the group; it is self-evident to them. They justify collateral damage in the belief they do a greater good. The Nazi concentration camps were created to hold so-called "racially undesirable elements" of German society. The GULAG system was introduced in order to isolate disloyal elements not contributing to the dictatorship of the proletariat. The Inquisition was established to eradicate heretics in religious states.

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ro...ood_intentions

Old 11-24-2018, 04:36 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,085,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Why is it any more heinous than any other crime against persons?

The presumption of innocence is the basis of a polite society. If you want to return to the law of the jungle, move to the jungle. This is a civilized advanced society. We're better than presumptions of guilt. This isn't a communist nation where that crap flies.
That and if you have a culture of presumed guilt then people will act guilty. Like shooting cops and their accusor rather than stand trial in a kangaroo court. Domestic terrorism would become highly sophisticated with military grade equipment and much more prolific.

It would be a super dangerous place to live if we had a presumption of guilt. If you falsly accused me of something and I knew that it was going to be a nightmare to fight, I would just shoot you and any cops that I needed too. Because this would become normallized the cops could not keep up with it, many citizens would become radicalized, people would begin stock piling weapons and armor and training for an inevitable confrontation. It would be a super bad deal.

It would not surprise me if cops started becoming sniper targets since the cops were the ones who were putting you in hand cuffs over a bogus accusation and delivering you up to the kangaroo courts, might as well get rid of them. The good honest cops would quit their jobs.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,428,821 times
Not at all. Everyone is not guilty until proven guilty.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,050,909 times
It seems that when it comes to sex crimes though, that people are judged based on allegations though, without actually being proven guilty first.

For example, the director and actor Nate Parker was accused of rape, but not proven guilty by the legal system, but because of the allegations, his career has gone downhill now because of it. So it seems that people are judged for sex crimes, based on allegations sometimes.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It seems that when it comes to sex crimes though, that people are judged based on allegations though, without actually being proven guilty first.

For example, the director and actor Nate Parker was accused of rape, but not proven guilty by the legal system, but because of the allegations, his career has gone downhill now because of it. So it seems that people are judged for sex crimes, based on allegations sometimes.
I would say people are judged based on allegations in sex crimes ALL THE TIME! Especially when minors are involved!

I see this all the time on my news feed, there will be some story of a teacher being caught having a sexual relationship with an underage student (even if the student is 16 or 17), there will be 1000s of comments about how they would like to see him put to death in the most violent way possible, they will call him a pedophile rapist, child molester, and every name in the book.....based solely on an allegation?!!! WTF?

I think it comes down to people today being far too trusting of law enforcement, they feel if police had enough evidence to arrest him, surely he MUST be guilty!

Ive said it before, people like this would be much happier living under a brutal dictatorship or a mob rule system.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,050,909 times
But I thought were were talking about cases where people are not being arrested though and are just being accused by someone. So how are these people too trusting of law enforcement, when law enforcement is not playing a role in these situations and it's just allegations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates