U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 03:19 PM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times

Advertisements

Instead of reducing the amount of working hours, let's reduce the amount of unpaid hours and fix a few more things while we're at it:

- If you're not on a customer-facing team and you do your job from a computer, you can work from home. All internal meetings will be via conference bridge. This will boost employee satisfaction as well as alleviate traffic issues.

- No employer should be allowed to require an employee to travel on their own dime to be reimbursed at a later time. The known costs (travel, accommodations) and reasonably anticipated costs (food, fuel and transport, deposit for incidentals) should all be charged to a company credit card. If they employee doesn't travel regularly, a card should be arranged to borrow for the duration of the occasional trip.

- No employer should be allowed to require an employee to surrender miles earned while traveling on airlines.

- Salary exempt should disappear altogether. Salary Plus or Non-exempt, depending on role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,451,704 times
the30 hours goes along with free medical a free base pay, free education and free retirement with five week vacation a free one year paternity leave.

Im the opposite, I think it should be five ten hours days and you pay for what you want

Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 PM

18,891 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the30 hours goes along with free medical a free base pay, free education and free retirement with five week vacation a free one year paternity leave.

Im the opposite, I think it should be five ten hours days and you pay for what you want
It's a shame you don't know what this thread is about. You need to gay back and read the original post.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 PM

4,620 posts, read 2,609,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why?

Why shouldn't "workers" have similar rights?
Public sector workers negotiate contracts with government leaders who are then supported by union leaders who guide the public sector workers and tell them who to vote for.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Public sector workers negotiate contracts with government leaders who are then supported by union leaders who guide the public sector workers and tell them who to vote for.
I suppose that happens some places. But when I was a union building rep at our school for two years THAT NEVER HAPPENED. In fact, never once in five districts did ANYONE suggest how I should vote.

The problem is that you feel certain groups that you like...who will vote Republican...should more rights than other groups that you don't like.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:09 PM

3,103 posts, read 1,722,747 times
Not going to happen. A salaried employee these days is lucky to work a 40 hour week. Lots of salaries employees are working 45, 50, or 60+ hours a week.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,609,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I suppose that happens some places. But when I was a union building rep at our school for two years THAT NEVER HAPPENED. In fact, never once in five districts did ANYONE suggest how I should vote.

The problem is that you feel certain groups that you like...who will vote Republican...should more rights than other groups that you don't like.
Is that last sentence trying to infer something?

I don’t know where you are based, but it’s been clear in NY based upon discussions that one party had the kid’s and teacher’s best interests in mind, and the teachers actively campaigned for those candidates. There were letters sent out by the association strongly urging voters to approve certain board candidates because “it’s for the children”. My neighbor was a high school teacher and he said he voted straight line for one party because that’s what was expected. Maybe he’s an outlier.

For other unions, the leadership publicly supported one party’s candidate in the press and on TV. If you are telling me there is never any suggestion from that same leadership to their members I would be surprised. I’ve heard it myself from Local members I know. Not so much “you must vote for X”, but “X has our best interests at heart, or X is a true union supporter, wink wink”.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:44 AM

3,723 posts, read 1,669,188 times
Why don't you run it by your boss?

"Hey boss, next week I'm only working 39 hours and I'll work one less every following week until I hit 30. And you can pay me the same, OK?"

Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Is that last sentence trying to infer something?

I don’t know where you are based, but it’s been clear in NY based upon discussions that one party had the kid’s and teacher’s best interests in mind, and the teachers actively campaigned for those candidates. There were letters sent out by the association strongly urging voters to approve certain board candidates because “it’s for the children”. My neighbor was a high school teacher and he said he voted straight line for one party because that’s what was expected. Maybe he’s an outlier.

For other unions, the leadership publicly supported one party’s candidate in the press and on TV. If you are telling me there is never any suggestion from that same leadership to their members I would be surprised. I’ve heard it myself from Local members I know. Not so much “you must vote for X”, but “X has our best interests at heart, or X is a true union supporter, wink wink”.

So you also think that teachers, and probably other governmental workers, give up their right to the democratic process. I've got news for you, as a public employee I still have all the rights every other citizen has, and that includes the right to congregate with people who are like-minded, to advocate for a political cause, and to vote for whom we wish.

Personally, I think there's a big difference between what you said in the earlier post -- "tell them who to vote for" -- and what you're saying in this post -- "discussions", "strongly urging", "the leadership publicly supported".

Because I enjoy politics, I often talked politics. And you know what happened during elections? Regardless of who the union advocated for, individual teachers voted for whomever they wanted, and I had numerous colleagues who campaigned for Republicans...not perceived as the party of education.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:17 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Not going to happen. A salaried employee these days is lucky to work a 40 hour week. Lots of salaries employees are working 45, 50, or 60+ hours a week.
Yes.

I would be happy to have a 50 hours a week cap.

However Looking around many offices, I think it woudl be easy to go to a 30 hour work week for the masses, maybe even 20. Simply ban cell phones and Facebook in the workplace. If people woudl actually work at work, they could probably get the same amount done in 15 - 20 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates