U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM

27,311 posts, read 59,237,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know what you mean by this.
I mean that the family finances of the typical small business owner and their effectiveness as a job boss
would be better served by either being the sort of employee of a larger company I described above
(with all of those benefits and perks on top of the day to day) ... or perhaps partnering up with a few
other small contractors in some sort of co-op arrangement and try to create that sort of coverage.

The existential part is that most of these very small business types that I've known (me included)
don't want any part of either approach on any level. The net result being that 98% of them
really don't have and won't ever have a 'stand alone' business that could be sold.

Even when they are objectively solvent and profitable...
the business entity remains an extension of the owner and their personality.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-15-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 AM

18,321 posts, read 15,403,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I mean that the family finances of the typical small business owner and their effectiveness as a job boss
would be better served by either being the sort of employee of a larger company I described above
(with all of those benefits and perks on top of the day to day) ... or perhaps partnering up with a few
other small contractors in some sort of co-op arrangement and try to create that sort of coverage.

The existential part is that most of these very small business types that I've known (me included)
don't want any part of either approach on any level. The net result being that 98% of them
really don't have and won't ever have a 'stand alone' business that could be sold.

Even when they are objectively solvent and profitable...
the business entity remains an extension of the owner and their personality.
Well, I still don't know what you mean by existential threat. I like the co-op idea actually, and most of his buddies are in contracting in some way. I think in reality there would be a lot of fights if they tried to partner. None of these guys are "businessmen" they are regular guys with a skill in some area, but including my fiancť, few are them are business savvy.

My honey is a sub-contractor, as are many small contracting work type businesses now. He would make much less as an actual employee. There aren't too many "big" companies in his area, outside of big box stores like Home Depot.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM

27,311 posts, read 59,237,293 times
Quote:
None of these guys are "businessmen" they are regular guys with a skill in some area,
but including my fiancť, few are them are business savvy.

I still don't know what you mean by existential threat.
To their egos when they acknowledgewhat you just described.
That doing well/better requires upending all that they are and think they are.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 1,443,886 times
Quote:
He doesnít have an option to do that. Even he goes through slow times when he himself doesnt have work for a week or two. Thereís no way he can guarantee somebody 20 hours a week. He canít even afford his own health insurance, he uses the VA. But we would lose our home in short order if he had to pay someone 20 hours a week regardless of how much work we got.

There are a lot of small businesses that are in a similar situation. It is not that they donít want to give guaranteed hours and benefits, they just canít.

He is very good to his workers. He doesnít even dock them when he has to drive an hour to a worksite to clean up their trash. No one is making them take the jobs offered, but if you commit to something you should see it through.
Sounds to me like this isn't a viable business model.

If you can't afford to employ people on a regular schedule and for a decent wage... then really you're saying that you can't afford to hire a decent employee. Peroid.

Sorry. You're not going to get good employees if you won't pay for them. If you provide bottom-of-the barrel wages, working conditions, stability, etc... then your labor pool will be the bottom-feeders.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
To their egos when they acknowledgewhat you just described.
That doing well/better requires upending all that they are and think they are.
I really donít know what youíre talking about.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Sounds to me like this isn't a viable business model.

If you can't afford to employ people on a regular schedule and for a decent wage... then really you're saying that you can't afford to hire a decent employee. Peroid.

Sorry. You're not going to get good employees if you won't pay for them. If you provide bottom-of-the barrel wages, working conditions, stability, etc... then your labor pool will be the bottom-feeders.
I’m not complaining I’m simply explaining our situation. I dont think it’s unusual today.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 02:33 PM..

Old Today, 06:20 PM

1,076 posts, read 614,622 times
no, it's that jobs that were available no longer are. job requirements have been raised. There's only low paying service jobs or professional jobs that require higher education. How is someone supposed to obtain experience when few will hire unskilled folks?

Old Today, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
no, it's that jobs that were available no longer are. job requirements have been raised. There's only low paying service jobs or professional jobs that require higher education. How is someone supposed to obtain experience when few will hire unskilled folks?
That’s been that way forever. I went to bartending school in my early 20’s which was way back in the 80’s and faced the same thing. Everyone wanted experience. Back then too if you wanted any kind of trade job, many were union, and it wasn’t about experience, but who you knew. I do think there should be more apprenticeship programs, perhaps give tax breaks to businesses who have them. But have some kind of data base in each state to connect job seekers with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or