U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:07 PM

43 posts, read 9,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I think society expects these people to fit in way too hard, instead of helping them their communication skills.

I think these people are ultimately outsiders, we have different mindsets when compared to the rest of society...

Now I am not saying we should too lenient to the point where we even want to justify murder, but let's try to remember it wasn't the person's intended purpose.

I am a person with some obvious physical abnormalities and mental impairments. I think most people who have known for me for a good length time would say that I'm a bit peculiar, don't fit in with any social/racial/political/religious group, or as one person recently put it, I'm "an enigma."

Now, with all this out in the open, I'll say that I really don't understand why such harsh reactions to this post, like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The only people that have difficulty communicating are the deaf. I communicate just fine with the retarded kid who bags my groceries at Kroger's.

This one in particular is probably a common example of how people think. This is how society sees those of us with any sort of disability. It's about them, never about how we see the world - because our thoughts aren't really valid.

I try hard not to be a stupid person but the brain just can't catch up to the pace of just about everyone else I've ever met in life. I don't think there is much more that could done about social attitudes toward people with disabilities. Some of us are given opportunities to make the big bucks which might enhance the quality of life but those are the exception not the rule. Landing a well-paying job, maintaining a house/family, healthy lifestyle takes more that just hard work and long hours. People in high places first and foremost have the ongoing personality for it, the looks, the stamina, usually in superior health, and are always of sound mind if you're talking about why society has a difficult time helping mentally challenged people reach a point of stability and longevity of social status in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 AM

3,834 posts, read 2,120,380 times
Absolutely not in fact you could argue to be more harsh as the likelyhood of offense recommital is as high if not higher.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:18 PM

4,031 posts, read 1,576,518 times
We don't need to be harsh to anyone, unless they are politicians or other snake-like troublemakers.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:46 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,321,531 times
Of course, people should be less harsh in general. So many live a fast-paced life that if you don't bring something that benefits them immediately, they may brush you off. If that is the kind of person that is being targeted, just make sure you are prepared and have something to offer for predictable social gatherings.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:39 PM

4,161 posts, read 1,870,181 times
You know what we need?

Understanding & I don't mean the compassionate, "all God's children" type of understanding (although that wouldn't hurt): I mean; the Pull Your Head Out & Start Researching The Cause Instead of The Next Great Quick-Fix ... kind of understanding.

"Nurture" has had its turn & it has wasted so much precious time & caused so many lives to be lost, all the while nobody has ever denied that learning, behavior, cognition & moods all originate from the Brain.

Do you want to study matters of the heart? Study Cardiology & stop asking; "How does that make you feel?" and stop insisting that I have Mommy/Daddy issues, or that we can't defy negative experiences from our past.

How I learn, how I feel, the way I interpret the world around me, how I fit into the context of others & how they fit into mine ... Comes from the Brain.

I want Nature. I want science to focus on Nature & bring us to an understanding of these disabilities. I want science to ignore politics & social agendas because they are man-made & are, therefore; inferior to natural science. The truth will set you free & the science will set those afflicted free but only after the science is understood.

If your new wonder-antidepressant-drug begins to show a correlation with suicide? Say so when it's first noticed; don't wait for a decade while children bury their parents & parents bury their children.

If those studies of brain tissue from those with developmental, mental or degenerative brain conditions showed markers of viral inflammation? You should have said so, right off the bat. Because when you didn't? Some of those people were prescribed some of those same new wonder-antidepressant-drugs & even more children buried their parents & more parents buried their children.

Imagine what the impact could have been if The Tobacco Industry Research Committee scientists would have sounded the alarm at the first indication of smoking being implicated in lung cancer? Or if our scientists at the NIH would have declined their spot in Big Tobacco's wallet?

My son doesn't need "less harshness" based on forced social correctness; he needs more understanding of what caused his condition that will lead to real options to help alleviate it.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:51 PM

13,286 posts, read 7,340,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Maybe, but some of us struggle to communicate with the world big time, those that do, anyway to help them out without being a little to expectant? Perhaps maybe teaching them social cues could help?

I know life can be hard for anyone who is born different Luciano. I was in healthcare for twenty five years and I've taken care of many different people with disabilities. They were all treated with dignity and kindness. It is difficult for people with no experience with people who are born different to understand and communicate. I guess you could say that even the so called "normal" people are handicapped in their own way in this instance.

There is a group home around the corner from our house and one of the residents stopped to chat with me as I was taking down my Halloween decorations. He's in his 40's and I could clearly see that he was special needs. We talked about his girlfriend and how his parents live in Wisconsin. At first I felt sorry for him because I thought his parents may have dumped him, but, that wasn't the case. It was his choice to move into the home. He loves it here in our village and has a job. He also loves living in the group home. He wants to marry his girlfriend and have her live with him in the home. Why not? His goals are no different then the rest of us. He wants love, a job, and a roof over his head. He just needs a little help getting there. So did one of my patients and his special needs girlfriend. They had my home number and we chatted a lot. It broke my heart when she died and he followed about a year later.

In the end it would be nice if we could all not lose track of the fact that we are all of the human species. We come in different colors, size, shape and intellects. Mutual respect and kindness should be the cornerstone of how we treat each other. Sadly for too many people that isn't the case.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:12 PM

5,037 posts, read 2,261,589 times
In varying ways it's important to know your limitations and stop right there. Period.
I don't overcompensate. . I tolerate.
Once advocated for a special needs fellow. Boy was my accessment wrong! The gent was a danger ..stalking folks and coming off with the but gee I'm not right in the head you have to be fair to that diagnosis.
I was horrified when the lady associate was injured by this guy...she pretty much made it clear that my 'bleeding heart' didn't seem to take into consideration the welfare of the person attacked. So in essence my desire to treat ppl fairly didn't help . .so my first line holds true. I know my limitations ...and stop there . That includes even daring to be blind to the antics of humans.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:27 PM

19,409 posts, read 9,148,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In varying ways it's important to know your limitations and stop right there. Period.
I don't overcompensate. . I tolerate.
Once advocated for a special needs fellow. Boy was my accessment wrong! The gent was a danger ..stalking folks and coming off with the but gee I'm not right in the head you have to be fair to that diagnosis.
I was horrified when the lady associate was injured by this guy...she pretty much made it clear that my 'bleeding heart' didn't seem to take into consideration the welfare of the person attacked. So in essence my desire to treat ppl fairly didn't help . .so my first line holds true. I know my limitations ...and stop there . That includes even daring to be blind to the antics of humans.
I'm not clear what the point of this post is.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:33 PM

19,411 posts, read 12,818,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I definitely think people need to be compassionate with people with learning disabilities in social settings and give them some slack when they seem odd or socially out of synch. It's not a crime to
be socially inept, and yes, many times people with a severe learning disability have a difficult time being socially appropriate, even if they try.

Giving them a pass for property and violent crimes is a completely different issue. If charged with a crime, their attorney is already going to use their client's mental disability as a defense and many times this will be taken into consideration but it's not, nor should it be, a blank check.
This.

If the OP feels he needs more understanding from others in social settings, then, yes, I do believe that people should try to be that way. But someone who struggles to communicate is going to have a hard time telling a doc or EMS person what is wrong or what hurts. It is essential that people learn to use words well, even if it is a struggle.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 7,184,916 times
Less harsh in what way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or