Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM

62,656 posts, read 28,833,717 times

Advertisements

[quote=Sassybluesy;53328907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If someone is talking loudly in a public setting then how is it eaves dropping to hear it? Why would I care about their personal lives and want to know what they are talking about? I wouldn't even know them! You're grasping at straws now.
Well that's kind of the question of the week isn't it? Why DO yu care what they're talking about? Like you said, you don't even know them.

And why oh why would 2 ladies talking to each other in Spanish owe me any kind of respect, except basic civility...the same I'd expect from anyone?

No, it's their lack of respect for our nation's language and those around them when they know how to speak English but refuse to. If one isn't fluent in English then speaking it as often as they can will make them more fluent. Newsflash. U.S.A doesn't have an official language. Now...various states have official languages...English being ONE of them. Bet you didn't know that, right?

For instance, in Louisiana, the official LANGUAGES are english and french. In New Mexico, it's English and Spanish.

Why don't you just read all of the replies I have posted in here already instead of the same old attacks and questions over and over as some others in here? Don't like my opinion? I really don't care. I'm not shaming you for yours so why shame me for mine? I don't owe anyone any explanations for my views but I have offered them anyway only to be ridiculed for it.

I never said that English is our "official" language on the federal level but it certainly is our national de facto one spoke by the majority of Americans as their primary language. By the way, the official language of Calif. is English and so is it in many other states. I have never said that it's illegal to speak a foreign language in public either just that under certain circumstances it's rude and annoying. There are you all caught up now?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
While English may be the "de facto" language, it is by no means the only language commonly spoken in this country.

Spanish has always been present, even before the so-called "illegal Mexican problem". I've already discussed this upthread.

In addition, the large Hispanic community isn't solely comprised of Mexicans.

And for grins and giggles, my Mexican-American husband speaks not a lick of Spanish, yet Anglos insist on talking to him in Spanish and we get Spanish ads all of the time in the mail.

I don't give a crap about random people so why should I care even if they were talking about me?

Also, since when is American culture primarily Anglo, as if English speakers and Europeans are the only groups that contributed anything?

We do have an identifying language and culture. We adopted English as our identifying language not Spanish. The contributions as you put it are just a part of the melting pot. "Out of many, ONE".

Non-Hispanics number 270 million in this country. The Hispanic population pales in comparison.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 PM

11,142 posts, read 7,886,642 times
The only people I’ve heard talking loudly are non Spanish speakers who think that by talking louder.. the person they’re trying to communicate with will understand.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 PM

[quote=latetotheparty;53327825]
Quote:

and THERE lies the rub.......

re: the two above..... who is forcing ANYONE to listen to personal conversations in public spaces?? Or is all this "loud foreign babble" that you are so upset about actually people shouting and speechifying??

Please.... I am confused by what you mean by "loud"

Normal conversational tone between two or three people?? Is that loud??

If a conversation is loud enough to be heard by others then that is loud. Who said anything about force? Many times you just can't escape it. What is one suppose to do abandon their meal in a restaurant to escape it? Why don't you guys just give it up? Why does my opinion offend you so much? How is my opinion effecting you?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The only people I’ve heard talking loudly are non Spanish speakers who think that by talking louder.. the person they’re trying to communicate with will understand.

What nonsense! Does English sound like babble to you?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,053,341 times
Quote:
I already addressed both under another reply. No, they aren't automatically loud but most of the time they are spoken loud enough for others to have to listen to it.
You did not address my statement about English. If people are speaking English loudly enough that you able to hear it, should they stop? English babble is okay? Much of it does sound like babble.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I debated whether or not to enter this debate, but I'm a little bored today, so here goes:

I personally don't like how this country is becoming more and more multicultural to the point that, in my opinion, Euro-white culture in many areas is being overtaken by other cultures and some people are trying to make us feel guilty and/or ashamed of our heritage and the actions of SOME of our ancestors. I also think that people who come to this country with the intention of making it their home should learn English for reasons of communication and costs. (One of my pet peeves is how much it costs government -- and businesses -- to accommodate non-English speakers, and especially to put out voter information in other languages.)

HOWEVER --

1. I think any attempt to force people or make them feel guilty or ashamed for not speaking English is just stupid and unkind. How does anyone know that they are not just tourists or temporary visitors. Would you like to be penalized and/or scorned if you go to Portugal on vacation and don't speak Portuguese fluently?

2. The simple fact is that the U.S. is getting to be more and more multicultural, and Euro-whites will become less and less dominant. In my view, people can either (a) just accept that fact, (b) resent it and become bitter and regularly outraged, or (c) move to a less multicultural area where the Euro-white culture still prevails.

No we are not multi-cultural per se. We have an identifying one with minority ones living among us. Getting back to the language topic the reason we hear so much Spanish being spoken is directly due to massive illegal immigration into our country. So we should just accept that? Um no! Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual. Who's forcing anyone to do anything? Certainly not me! You talk about shame and yet I've been shamed by many in here because I hold a different view on this issue.

Let's face it, when I hear Spanish everywhere I go it's likely that most of them aren't tourists especially in the state I live in here in the southwest. I don't expect tourists to have a command of English anyway. This is about legal immigrants and citizens who know how to speak English but won't or refuse to learn it.

This is isn't just about whites. Do you think blacks like hearing all the babble also and having their neighborhoods taken over by Spanish speaking Hispanics whom many are here illegally?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
You did not address my statement about English. If people are speaking English loudly enough that you able to hear it, should they stop? English babble is okay? Much of it does sound like babble.

I answered that question long ago under this topic and yes English being spoken loudly is also annoying but it's more annoying when it's foreign babble.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,069,447 times
Quote:
What nonsense! Does English sound like babble to you?
I mean... Depends on the accent man.

But seriously Spanish sounds like Spanish to me not "babble." Maybe you should get your hearing checked.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM

405 posts, read 255,224 times
Why would 2 people who speak Spanish (or any other language) speak English to one another, (in public or not). I didn't speak Spanish to the other Americans I was with when I was in Peru.

Will everyone just accept that there are other nationalities living in this country and quit thinking that speaking English is proof of being happy to be in America. For God's sake - don't people have other things to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates