U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:59 AM

32,232 posts, read 14,886,630 times

Advertisements

I think the division in this country is between cultural and linguistic lines not so much racially anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 AM

19,383 posts, read 9,131,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think the division in this country is between cultural and linguistic lines not so much racially anymore.
Where in heck do you live?

Old 10-20-2018, 01:05 PM

581 posts, read 198,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Where in heck do you live?
Look at the cultural divide in the U.S. It is a chasm.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 8 days ago)

13,653 posts, read 5,377,037 times
This thread is off the rails. I am talking about a truly integrated society where races interact in the daily course of business. Hybridization, itself an objectionable term, is a different issue, often involving involuntary relationships. The societies of the early U.S., while seeming to be integrated, were headed in the other direction, segregation and literally Jim Crow, when there were significant numbers of freed slaves.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM

581 posts, read 198,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This thread is off the rails. I am talking about a truly integrated society where races interact in the daily course of business. Hybridization, itself an objectionable term, is a different issue, often involving involuntary relationships. The societies of the early U.S., while seeming to be integrated, were headed in the other direction, segregation and literally Jim Crow, when there were significant numbers of freed slaves.
I have to disagree. While, yes, *hybridization* sounds like you're breeding cattle, inter-marriage does indeed help integrate people... something I read about reducing what they call *social distance*. I am NOT advocating mixed marriages. They are more likely to end in divorce. Voluntary/involuntary... I know a lot of married guys who feel like they have a ball chained to their ankles. If they divorce, the missus gets everything. A lot of millennial men are foregoing marriage altogether because they perceive the cards are stacked against them. A lot of millennial women remain single also or turn to Lesbianism.

Well-to-do (and poor) whites and blacks tend to self-segregate. It's true here in the DC metropolitan area. Integration was forced on people by the courts. Left to their own devices, people tend to cluster with like kind. Take a look at a racially diverse middle school at lunch time. See who sits with whom.

Last edited by 2ner; 10-20-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 02:27 PM

1,839 posts, read 683,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Right. We shouldn't confuse segregation, discrimination and integration. In a truly integrated society groups that can be differentiated by race, creed, team affiliation or whatever would still interact in public & private affairs as if those affiliations made no difference....If one guy is a Lion and the neighbor is a Moose, they can still enjoy each others' company at the yearly block party. The same principle should hold when talking about genetic differences as well as club memberships.

I do agree with Oldglory's comment above: in this day and age, a job applicant is not rejected because of his genetics, but because he acts, dresses &/or speaks in a manner too readily identified and not being appropriate for the job description..."When in Rome, do as the Romans do," was good advice 400 yrs ago and still holds today.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 PM

10,527 posts, read 7,649,401 times
I work in an organization that sends out climate surveys. Roughly speaking, out of 100 people about 7 are black. So when the results of the survey come out at an organizational assembly, they pat themselves on the back that only 7% believe there's racial discrimination.
NEXT.
Most people of all colors would rather live their lives in peace, taking care of their families and celebrating our similarities. And a fair shake. We all want a fair shake.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 PM

563 posts, read 316,045 times
I would not consider a society to be integrated unless the top levels of government is composed of a mixture of groups that resembled the general population, and that the wealth of the top tenth of a percent was distributed similarly.
I know that it cannot be a perfect match, but it should kind of mostly be similar.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM

7,000 posts, read 1,700,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Right. We shouldn't confuse segregation, discrimination and integration. In a truly integrated society groups that can be differentiated by race, creed, team affiliation or whatever would still interact in public & private affairs as if those affiliations made no difference....If one guy is a Lion and the neighbor is a Moose, they can still enjoy each others' company at the yearly block party. The same principle should hold when talking about genetic differences as well as club memberships.

I do agree with Oldglory's comment above: in this day and age, a job applicant is not rejected because of his genetics, but because he acts, dresses &/or speaks in a manner too readily identified and not being appropriate for the job description..."When in Rome, do as the Romans do," was good advice 400 yrs ago and still holds today.
We dont know if this is accurate or not.

I used to have a boss that was very racist, he would not hire a black person...BUT he also recognized that he legally could not get away with that, so when a black person would apply and/or be interviewed, he would find some other reason NOT to hire them (he used to joke about this).

It not like anyone was ever going to grill him about why this person was not hired, and even if he was, he could just make something up.

I have a feeling there is alot of this still going on in many workplaces today, but there is no way to uncover it.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:01 PM

2,788 posts, read 1,025,966 times
I give the US a D-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or