U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 PM

896 posts, read 446,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

I do agree with Oldglory's comment above: in this day and age, a job applicant is not rejected because of his genetics, but because he acts, dresses &/or speaks in a manner too readily identified and not being appropriate for the job description..."When in Rome, do as the Romans do," was good advice 400 yrs ago and still holds today.
Hmm.... There is no genetic basis for racial classifications but cultural differences are real... So what is race really if not cultural?

It's pretty well documented that to get a job entails acting white and being white is even better. Asking other races to "do as the Romans do" while claiming racism is over is a hilarious position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 08:03 PM

15,614 posts, read 15,528,724 times
Tribalism is inborn in Humans. This base-instinct is a natural way in which people group, identify and divide. Throw in the dynamics of integration and you have, much of the time, a big mess.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 AM

32,517 posts, read 14,964,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Tribalism is inborn in Humans. This base-instinct is a natural way in which people group, identify and divide. Throw in the dynamics of integration and you have, much of the time, a big mess.

I disagree. Some cultures are tribal but not all of them.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 17 days ago)

13,710 posts, read 5,409,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree. Some cultures are tribal but not all of them.
Which ones, other than homogeneous ones, are not?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM

6,394 posts, read 10,604,698 times
quote: "There is no genetic basis for racial classifications but cultural differences are real."

Sorry, thinking has evolved on this subject. Of course race has a genetic basis. Scientists can tell what race you are by examining your DNA. They do it all the time. Ask Ancestry.com. Do you honestly think that your DNA doesn't show that you are Chinese, for example?

This has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with scientific fact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/o...tics-race.html

Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 PM

896 posts, read 446,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: "There is no genetic basis for racial classifications but cultural differences are real."

Sorry, thinking has evolved on this subject. Of course race has a genetic basis. Scientists can tell what race you are by examining your DNA. They do it all the time. Ask Ancestry.com. Do you honestly think that your DNA doesn't show that you are Chinese, for example?

This has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with scientific fact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/o...tics-race.html
I didn't say that DNA does not determine physical features nor that DNA can't be used to trace ancestory to historical populations... I said that racial classifications are junk science. The article you posted suggests as much as well.

Last edited by history nerd; 10-22-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM

32,517 posts, read 14,964,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Which ones, other than homogeneous ones, are not?

I think we know which cultures are tribal. For example, putting your ethnic group above the immigration laws of our country. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:56 AM

10,205 posts, read 7,352,950 times
Intergration happens naturally and it is only when it is forced by some gov. mandate that problems arise.

My wife who is foreign lived and worked in Tennessee at one time and she made an interesting observation. During work hours the company had a mix of white and black workers and everyone got along just fine but at lunch the diversity ended there with each group separated. She wondered why and it turned out that the blacks didn't have much in common with the whites so what would they talk about?

No one can force people to comingle if they don't have much in common.

Other observations consider people from India where the caste system has traveled along with them to America. I have had some dealing with some well to do Indian people and they were downright hateful of their fellow countrymen that were beneath them.

The same can be said of black people that look down on their darker skinned people.

I think as a whole America is doing rather well with its mix and acceptance of the many races that call it home despite what the media tells us.

At the end of the day people want to be near other people that are most similar to them.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 PM

15,614 posts, read 15,528,724 times
Humans, for the most part, are most comfortable around others similar to themselves. The USA is making it hard to follow this imbedded trait................and IMHO, this is one of the things that is making the country worse.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 PM

19,501 posts, read 9,187,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think we know which cultures are tribal. For example, putting your ethnic group above the immigration laws of our country. I'll just leave it at that.
Oh, you mean so many of the white expat Americans living in Thailand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or