Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
USA is a mixed bag for integration success. Asians and most Muslim / or South Asian immigrants do very well, in fact having a higher medium income than Whites. Hispanics and Sub Saharan African immigrants are towards the White average, depends somewhat on country of origin. But the overwhelming evidence is that African Americans and Native Americans are way behind everyone else and little progress has been made.
African-Americans and Native Americans have been at the very bottom from the start. My perspective is this. African-Americans and Native Americans are basically starting from zero. The way Black people came here, not the same way immigrants came. Immigrants came as free people and had the mindset of such. With Black Americans, they came as chattel and by force, to build for a nation which had no intentions of including them. Even after slavery ended, Blacks had to keep fighting just to be treated as equals in America. Blacks are at the bottom, but they started in a horrible position. Native Americans are basically people who were conquered and stripped of lands they had and put on the reservations.

Conquered population vs an unwanted population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With Black Americans, they came as chattel and by force, to build for a nation which had no intentions of including them. Even after slavery ended, Blacks had to keep fighting just to be treated as equals in America. Blacks are at the bottom, but they started in a horrible position. Native Americans are basically people who were conquered and stripped of lands they had and put on the reservations.

Frederick Douglass and George Washington Carver started from zero, managed to learn to read and write, and made something of themselves. And a lot more since then have accomplished a lot, when there no longer were legal barriers. I would argue that the U.S. is doing fantastically compared to just about every other country.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I'm one of those persons who isn't about that "like stays with like" mentality. I've always been someone who would try and integrate. I want a truly integrated society, or at the least, a society that is more inclusive and accepting. I will admit that I do have a problem with the way many things are in society.

As for the bus, I take public transportation myself alot. I try to avoid sitting in the back of the bus.
I'm white but feel the way you do. When I was a principal, I spent more time working with out minority students than I did with our majority white students. When I traveled, it was mostly in Asia for the different culture. Out in public, I talk to anyone who wants to talk to me.

There are certainly places I don't want to be that are dangerous, and people that are risks that I don't want to be around. But to me, differences in cultural background are interesting, not something to be afraid of or to be disdainful of.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Frederick Douglass and George Washington Carver started from zero, managed to learn to read and write, and made something of themselves. And a lot more since then have accomplished a lot, when there no longer were legal barriers. I would argue that the U.S. is doing fantastically compared to just about every other country.
Which further proves my point. Once barriers started coming down, more and more Blacks started doing better. My point is that Blacks started off in a much worse position than anyone else in America. I'd rather be an immigrant than a slave. When you start in the gutter while everyone else starts at ground level (or near it), you have a further climb ahead of you.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm white but feel the way you do. When I was a principal, I spent more time working with out minority students than I did with our majority white students. When I traveled, it was mostly in Asia for the different culture. Out in public, I talk to anyone who wants to talk to me.

There are certainly places I don't want to be that are dangerous, and people that are risks that I don't want to be around. But to me, differences in cultural background are interesting, not something to be afraid of or to be disdainful of.
I'm Black and I've gotten used to being in predominantly White places throughout my life, with mixed results. In high school I was one of those Black kids who would sit with White kids. I didn't feel like it was necessary to "stick to my own kind". I never had that in me. I remember high school. Black kids, for the most part, sat with the Black kids, and the White kids sat mostly with the White kids. I had sort of a loner's way about me. I went wherever I wanted. One group of White females I sat with, it was a hit. We got along well. There were other times when I would sit with someone I knew, and it got awkward fast.

I got to college and pretty much made it standard to get to know people from all over the world. I was someone who had that kind of openness. I could also be socially awkward. Chalk it up to being nerdy. However, I am one to strive for that integration.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm Black and I've gotten used to being in predominantly White places throughout my life, with mixed results. In high school I was one of those Black kids who would sit with White kids. I didn't feel like it was necessary to "stick to my own kind". I never had that in me. I remember high school. Black kids, for the most part, sat with the Black kids, and the White kids sat mostly with the White kids. I had sort of a loner's way about me. I went wherever I wanted. One group of White females I sat with, it was a hit. We got along well. There were other times when I would sit with someone I knew, and it got awkward fast.

I got to college and pretty much made it standard to get to know people from all over the world. I was someone who had that kind of openness. I could also be socially awkward. Chalk it up to being nerdy. However, I am one to strive for that integration.
I like that. Too many people are afraid of the "unknown" simply because it is unknown to them.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I like that. Too many people are afraid of the "unknown" simply because it is unknown to them.
In my case, there have been times when I've been afraid because I wondered if I'd be welcome. Chalk it up to social anxiety/getting bullied alot as a kid. There are times I wonder what is up with the world.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
In my case, there have been times when I've been afraid because I wondered if I'd be welcome. Chalk it up to social anxiety/getting bullied alot as a kid. There are times I wonder what is up with the world.
I can relate to that. Of course, what used to make me laugh was when I was living not far out of D.C. and would go downtown with friends or relatives and they would be constantly afraid of Black people. I went downtown often, including at night...never had any problems with African-American people. But in D.C. I was robbed three times...by white guys.

Admittedly, there were parts of D.C. I didn't go into, but heck, I had Black friends who wouldn't go to those same areas.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:49 AM

652 posts, read 340,223 times
Quote:
I can relate to that. Of course, what used to make me laugh was when I was living not far out of D.C. and would go downtown with friends or relatives and they would be constantly afraid of Black people. I went downtown often, including at night...never had any problems with African-American people. But in D.C. I was robbed three times...by white guys.

Admittedly, there were parts of D.C. I didn't go into, but heck, I had Black friends who wouldn't go to those same areas.
White shame is sad. Good luck with that.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM

652 posts, read 340,223 times
Quote:
African-Americans and Native Americans have been at the very bottom from the start. My perspective is this. African-Americans and Native Americans are basically starting from zero. The way Black people came here, not the same way immigrants came. Immigrants came as free people and had the mindset of such. With Black Americans, they came as chattel and by force, to build for a nation which had no intentions of including them. Even after slavery ended, Blacks had to keep fighting just to be treated as equals in America. Blacks are at the bottom, but they started in a horrible position. Native Americans are basically people who were conquered and stripped of lands they had and put on the reservations.

Ahh, another ‘perpetual victim’ advocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates