Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:13 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

As multiple devastating wildfires raged across California, a private firefighting crew reportedly helped save Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s home in Calabasas. The successful defense of the $60 million mansion is the most prominent example of a trend that’s begun to receive national attention: for-hire firefighters protecting homes, usually on the payroll of an insurance company with a lot at risk.

Firefighters are consistently ranked the most beloved public servants because they treat everyone equally.
But if we allow firefighting to become a two-tiered system (with one tier for the elite and another tier for everyone else), then that threatens the democratic-republican ideal of everyone contributing their fair share for the greater needs of the commonwealth.

For some - including many firefighters from municipalities - protection from a deadly wildfire isn't something that some neighbors should be able to buy when others can’t.

Is this a story of the ramifications of economic disparity in this country?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ighting/575887
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...est-of-us-burn

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
How is that any different than the rich hiring private security guards rather than relying on the local police like everyone else?

Look at it this way, the for-hire fire fighters freed up the other fire fighters to lend help elsewhere.

Just a fact, the work they did saving the Kardashian house also saved other houses.

Another thought, I wonder what is costs to insure mega-million dollar homes?

Unless this trend starts to somehow decrease the availability of public, tax supported services I don't have a problem with it.

The rich get all kinds of perks the rest of us don't, it's just a fact of life.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
As multiple devastating wildfires raged across California, a private firefighting crew reportedly helped save Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s home in Calabasas. The successful defense of the $60 million mansion is the most prominent example of a trend that’s begun to receive national attention: for-hire firefighters protecting homes, usually on the payroll of an insurance company with a lot at risk.

Firefighters are consistently ranked the most beloved public servants because they treat everyone equally.
But if we allow firefighting to become a two-tiered system (with one tier for the elite and another tier for everyone else), then that threatens the democratic-republican ideal of everyone contributing their fair share for the greater needs of the commonwealth.

For some - including many firefighters from municipalities - protection from a deadly wildfire isn't something that some neighbors should be able to buy when others can’t.

Is this a story of the ramifications of economic disparity in this country?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ighting/575887
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...est-of-us-burn
So what? We have mercenary armies and private security companies too. If someone has the money to hire a private fire fighting crew to save their house more power to them.

That’s why rich people live in 60 million dollar mansions. Because they can.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:11 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How is that any different than the rich hiring private security guards rather than relying on the local police like everyone else?

Look at it this way, the for-hire fire fighters freed up the other fire fighters to lend help elsewhere.

Just a fact, the work they did saving the Kardashian house also saved other houses.

Unless this trend starts to somehow decrease the availability of public, tax supported services I don't have a problem with it.

I mostly agree... Plus it isn't like Kim and Kanye aren't still paying taxes that fund the local fire Dept.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,433,136 times
I can't say I disagree, if I had a 60 million dollar home I would take steps to protect it also.

Probably with a built in fire fighting system.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Understood, but I don't think that elnina was saying they shouldn't be allowed to utilize private firefighters but rather she was pointing out the growing disparity between the 'haves and the have nots'. I thought about this while looking at private schools for my grandson. Tuition for grades 1-5 at the best private elementary school in the area is $22,350 and they have more applicants than they do openings. It got me to thinking about the disparity between schools like that and public schools in the district, and it doesn't stop at schools.

The question that it raises is, should the quality of education, the excellence of police work and fire fighting all be based upon how much you can afford to pay? If so, where is the line drawn? Should the wealthy get special ambulances that can get them to the hospital quicker? Should they be treated in special hospitals where their money guarantees that they won't die waiting to be seen in the ER? Should organ transplants be doled out to the highest bidder?

I'm not claiming to have the answers to these questions but I think they merit an honest discussion and they point out a growing problem where more and more of our nation's wealth is in the hands of fewer and fewer people.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
It's only a matter of time before firefighting and police services are privatized. And if you can't afford fire or police protection - good luck.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The question that it raises is, should the quality of education, the excellence of police work and fire fighting all be based upon how much you can afford to pay? .
According to conservatives, yes. They also want to eliminate public schools by slowly defunding them and giving vouchers to the wealthy for private schools.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Understood, but I don't think that elnina was saying they shouldn't be allowed to utilize private firefighters but rather she was pointing out the growing disparity between the 'haves and the have nots'. I thought about this while looking at private schools for my grandson. Tuition for grades 1-5 at the best private elementary school in the area is $22,350 and they have more applicants than they do openings. It got me to thinking about the disparity between schools like that and public schools in the district, and it doesn't stop at schools.

The question that it raises is, should the quality of education, the excellence of police work and fire fighting all be based upon how much you can afford to pay? If so, where is the line drawn? Should the wealthy get special ambulances that can get them to the hospital quicker? Should they be treated in special hospitals where their money guarantees that they won't die waiting to be seen in the ER? Should organ transplants be doled out to the highest bidder?

I'm not claiming to have the answers to these questions but I think they merit an honest discussion and they point out a growing problem where more and more of our nation's wealth is in the hands of fewer and fewer people.
How are we going to stop rich people from taking advantage of their wealth?

Make it illegal to hire their own security/fire fighters? Make it illegal for them to send their children to expensive, private schools? Make it illegal for them to fly an ill loved one half way around the world to access the best physician they can find?

Where would you draw the line on how the rich are allowed to spend their money?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I can't say I disagree, if I had a 60 million dollar home I would take steps to protect it also.

Probably with a built in fire fighting system.
A $60 million dollar home is no more important to it's owners than a $60,000 home is to it's owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.