U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:34 PM

18,822 posts, read 10,390,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If racial identity is a cultural phenomenon, which culture is perpetuating the racial identity? And is it possible to live with racial identity as a cultural phenomenon if the majority culture is the one who is trying to define that racial culture for what the majority wants it to be?
Well, let's ask this question: How would it have been generally received if Barack Obama had tried to identify himself as white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM

20,031 posts, read 9,466,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not qualified to say. You'd have to ask someone who's black.

Do you even think about what you write?

I asked: "Can different Black people have a different view on it?", and you respond that you're not qualified to say if people have a right to have different opinions.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM

12,692 posts, read 14,930,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

So now, not only the action is offensive,but there are consequences of voicing said opinion NOT in favor of the unpopular opinion.

Do you think there should be consequences for THAT?
Aunt Jemima was big when I was young.....a popular choice among many children.

The "unpopular opinion" meant nothing back then....just that the children had fun.
Halloween should still be for just the children.....it's when adults get involved that the troubles start.
It's too bad...a real shame.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 570,805 times
[quote=Redraven;53527751]Halloween evening, I saw a colored man in downtown Billings, MT, in WHITEFACE!

Seeing a black man in Billings Mt. PERIOD is, well............

Old 12-09-2018, 09:10 PM

18,822 posts, read 10,390,233 times
[quote=mtnbkr5;53844599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Halloween evening, I saw a colored man in downtown Billings, MT, in WHITEFACE!

Seeing a black man in Billings Mt. PERIOD is, well............
Redraven didn't say he saw a black man. He said he saw a colored man.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:09 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
7,068 posts, read 2,120,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As has already been said, the offensive thing about Kelly's statement was an apparent failure to understand what "blackface" means in today's parlance and an unawareness of the current cultural attitude toward that word that should not be the case with any prominent entertainment celebrity.

If it was acceptable in her community when she was a kid, she should know about modern cultural sensitivities today.

For instance, I certainly can't refer nostalgically today to what might have been acceptable male ideas about women back when I was a teenager. And I know that. And we expect any male celebrity to know that.
Personally, this is the crux of the matter for me. From Maya Angelou: "I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better".

This can be a personal thing &/or a hope for humanity.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM

1,018 posts, read 505,905 times
Consequences by voicing an opinion on an UNpopular opinion?

As it relates to this site, your thread will simply be deleted apparently.
What a joke this section is.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM

610 posts, read 375,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
Yep. It's called Free Speech. If he does a good job on my lawn, I couldn't care less how he votes.

Back in the good old days, people could have opposing opinions without getting their panties in a twist. In the 60s and 70s, the Nazi Party held rallies and parades in downtown Chicago. We didn't agree with anything the party stood for, but we didn't get irate and offended. We just chose not to attend. It was free speech. That's how it works.

It's beyond sad to me that we cannot show respect to each other. I've lost friendships with friends not because they were liberal, but because they became so hateful towards people who disagreed with them.

For the record, I am a conservative. For the most part, that means I vote Republican. I don't always agree with everything Trump says or does. There are many Republicans I don't care for and not too many Democrats I do care for. But I try to give consideration to all.

I think political correctness has reached the level of insanity. Does anyone remember Don Rickles? He made a career of insulting people. Look how far we've come. Nowadays, you can't say or do anything without being accused of some kind of racism or (fill-in-the-blank)-phobia or cultural misappropriation, no matter how innocent or trivial your transgression might be.

You are welcome to your opinions. But so am I. So is everyone.

I grieve for the loss of mutual respect and constitutional rights. If that makes me racist, fascist, or some kind of phobe, then so be it. But I'm willing to support your right to disagree with me. Are you willing to do the same?

/thread

As a libertarian, I say +1,000 to this post.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 PM

426 posts, read 245,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
NO. Freedom of speech is fully intact. NOTHING is being undermined. Everyone has the right to say anything they want. Is that not true?

Those speaking DO NOT have the right to control the reaction of those hearing.

How can you disagree with this?

Again, as Trump supporter, would you hire an anti-Trump lawn guy who wants to mow your grass in a "Dump Trump" t-shirt . His FOS is fully intact when you fire him.
I agree that everyone still has the right to say what they want.
But the current "in" group appear to want to dominate the "out" group by having them submit or make them timid or discouraged. That can lead to bad consequences in itself for our speech and liberties. For them, it's apparently okay to impose consequences on the "out" people speaking unpopular opinions if your the in-group, even if the severity of those consequences are questionable.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM

3,127 posts, read 1,139,688 times
Where did you get the idea that Americans have freedom of speech?.

"Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech",

Anybody else can abridge freedom of speech -- only Congress can't. i
If I own a printer or a microphone or a soap-box, I can abridge whatever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or