U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 PM

19,011 posts, read 8,921,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Reporting what was acceptable when she was a teenager. Shouldn't comedians also be expected to be worldly enough not to wear blackface?
I'm curious...in which post did I discuss comedians?

Well, I guess I did...indirectly...because she is/was a clown-journalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 03:17 PM

18,024 posts, read 9,891,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Reporting what was acceptable when she was a teenager.
And then asked "What is racist about that?" Whether she personally feels she's racist or whether she personally has done it in being racist, she's been around to know it's something that racists have done--she certainly ought to be well-read enough to know what blackface has been in American history--and shouldn't have to ask that question.

Quote:
Shouldn't comedians also be expected to be worldly enough not to wear blackface?
Actually, no, because knowingly upending social custom is their profession, and has been for several hundred years. They wear blackface ironically.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And then asked "What is racist about that?" Whether she personally feels she's racist or whether she personally has done it in being racist, she's been around to know it's something that racists have done--she certainly ought to be well-read enough to know what blackface has been in American history--and shouldn't have to ask that question.

Actually, no, because knowingly upending social custom is their profession, and has been for several hundred years. They wear blackface ironically.
I agree with the first paragraph.

However, I don't think you're very consistent with your second paragraph. One can joke in black face, but one cannot sing in black face.

And by the way, I'm not condoning wearing black face now or ever. At the very least it was unnecessary. But it was more often than not racist. I just don't think that in a far different era that we can say all entertainers who donned black face were being insulting. Even many Black entertainers in that era wore black face, which I find really bizarre (not that that excuses anyone else).

Old 11-03-2018, 04:18 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,332,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Happy Halloween...and thus the jist of this post...

I am noticing a major increase in those who are easily offended social media. With the recent posts of people going black face as their Halloween characters, I'm seeing MULTIPLE cases where people are doing this again and again this past week in celebration of the holiday.

For instance , a recent case where a woman went black to look like Biance' (sp?) and I saw a few other cases popping up online this Halloween. She got fired from her job at the hospital, and rightfully so. Correct?

What I'm finding a bit silly is that Megan Kelly was fired for saying, "Well, it's Halloween...what did you expect? I fail to see the problem. What is "racist" then? She was fired immediately...but really? Should she have been? It's not like SHE donned the black face, right?

Recently a small town politician said something like Megan Kelly, "I did the same thing when I was a kid at 16 with my African American friend (they swapped races on Halloween...his black friend went white, he went black), He made a statement where he didn't see what the big deal was it about then.

With these local elections, this could prove problematic and impact the outcome the said vote only because he shared an unpopular opinion (reminds me of those memes, "Unpopular opinion time!....change my mind!!") It's a thing.

So now, not only the action is offensive,but there are consequences of voicing said opinion NOT in favor of the unpopular opinion.

Do you think there should be consequences for THAT?

There are consequences. And then... there is "cruel and unusual punishment" And the opinions and consequences in this issue are one sided depending on political allegiance. That's wrong.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:56 PM

2,102 posts, read 939,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You're a Trump supporter. You hire a guy to cut your lawn. He shows up wearing an "Impeach Trump" t-shirt. Do you keep him in your employ?
Yes, if he does a good job.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
However, I don't think you're very consistent with your second paragraph. One can joke in black face, but one cannot sing in black face.
Right. Exactly.

I don't know why you don't get that. You're old enough to know Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, et al.

Quote:
And by the way, I'm not condoning wearing black face now or ever. At the very least it was unnecessary. But it was more often than not racist. I just don't think that in a far different era that we can say all entertainers who donned black face were being insulting. Even many Black entertainers in that era wore black face, which I find really bizarre (not that that excuses anyone else).
"Blackface" was more than simply wearing dark makeup. It was the entire schtick of perpetuating a negtive stereotypical view of black people for the gratification of whites.

Black entertainers wore black face when whites would only patronize them if they perpetuated those same stereotypes (a practice that continued without makeup after the forties into the 60s).

It was not just the makeup, it was also the stereotypical act that went along with it.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Right. Exactly.

I don't know why you don't get that. You're old enough to know Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, et al.

"Blackface" was more than simply wearing dark makeup. It was the entire schtick of perpetuating a negtive stereotypical view of black people for the gratification of whites.

Black entertainers wore black face when whites would only patronize them if they perpetuated those same stereotypes (a practice that continued without makeup after the forties into the 60s).

It was not just the makeup, it was also the stereotypical act that went along with it.
I didn't respect Lenny Bruce so I paid no attention to him after I was aware of his shtick.
What has George Carlin got to do with black face?
Yes, I remember the black face routine in "Silver Streak". Funny but objectionable.

Well, if you get to pick and choose appropriate versus inappropriate black face in a particular era...so does everyone else. That's freedom of thought and freedom of speech.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't respect Lenny Bruce so I paid no attention to him after I was aware of his shtick.
What has George Carlin got to do with black face?
Yes, I remember the black face routine in "Silver Streak". Funny but objectionable.

Well, if you get to pick and choose appropriate versus inappropriate black face in a particular era...so does everyone else. That's freedom of thought and freedom of speech.
See, you didn't read what I wrote.

"Blackface" was more than simply wearing dark makeup. It was the entire schtick of perpetuating a negative stereotypical view of black people for the gratification of racist white people.

Black people are much more mature about this than you give us credit for. We totally understand nuances.

We found Robert Downey Jr's funny when he was playing a dude "playing a dude pretending to be another dude." We got it. And the joke was not on us..we understood that, too. The joke was not on us.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
See, you didn't read what I wrote.

"Blackface" was more than simply wearing dark makeup. It was the entire schtick of perpetuating a negative stereotypical view of black people for the gratification of racist white people.

Black people are much more mature about this than you give us credit for. We totally understand nuances.

We found Robert Downey Jr's funny when he was playing a dude "playing a dude pretending to be another dude." We got it. And the joke was not on us..we understood that, too. The joke was not on us.
Check your ego.
I read what you wrote. I agreed with some of it.
And no, I have seen no evidence of you understanding nuances. Because the nuance that interests me is that not everyone who ever put on black face was racist. Misguided, perhaps. Unwise, perhaps. Clueless, perhaps.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Check your ego.
I read what you wrote. I agreed with some of it.
And no, I have seen no evidence of you understanding nuances.
And yet, you didn't see massive black outrage over Kimmel, Fallon, and Downey, and you can't seem to understand why not.

And your ego prevents you from letting someone explain it to you.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-04-2018 at 01:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or