Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times

Advertisements

In this new world of butt hurt folks who become livid over any little thing they disagree on---negative consequences of free speech will surely be a fact of life. Just reading the posts here on financial matters, politics, religion, and other issues will be a revealing experience for those who feel they can say what's on their mind without consequence.

People being fired for their supposed social misfeasance won't find any humor in the fact of their unemployed status, but, it is a laughable thing for others who see these reprimands as an over the top response to free speech. Our fundamenatl rights are actually being undermined by all of this, but, then again this isn't about guns or abortion, so..........

Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
In this new world of butt hurt folks who become livid over any little thing they disagree on---negative consequences of free speech will surely be a fact of life. Just reading the posts here on financial matters, politics, religion, and other issues will be a revealing experience for those who feel they can say what's on their mind without consequence.

People being fired for their supposed social misfeasance won't find any humor in the fact of their unemployed status, but, it is a laughable thing for others who see these reprimands as an over the top response to free speech. Our fundamenatl rights are actually being undermined by all of this, but, then again this isn't about guns or abortion, so..........
NO. Freedom of speech is fully intact. NOTHING is being undermined. Everyone has the right to say anything they want. Is that not true?

Those speaking DO NOT have the right to control the reaction of those hearing.

How can you disagree with this?

Again, as Trump supporter, would you hire an anti-Trump lawn guy who wants to mow your grass in a "Dump Trump" t-shirt . His FOS is fully intact when you fire him.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They spout off.
You spout off.
We all spout off.
I learned early on not to spout off at my job about my political, religious or other views. The only time I spout off is when it is about company or agency matters and I wouldn’t do it in front of the world, only to the people involved.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

This is why I comment as little as possible when it comes to controversial topics. I keep an eye out for that little "globe" on how the privacy setting is set for that person's post. If it shows "friends only" can see this, then I'll comment, if it's global...then a Trump-lovin' employer may Google my name, and see my opinion on the current administration and might can me for what I commented.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Halloween evening, I saw a colored man in downtown Billings, MT, in WHITEFACE!
Is THAT acceptable?
Personally, I am not offended. I simply find it hilarious that a man who is quite obviously of (partial) Negro ancestry would think that such a "costume" is acceptable, given all the foofaraw about whites being in BLACKFACE!
IMO, if you are offended by such a thing, you should suck it up and deal with it. QUIETLY!!

Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It seems to me that everyone is under the eye of the collective "Thought Police", and one expresses an opinion about ANYTHING at his or her peril. Orwell's 1984 comes very much to my mind when I read reports and threads like these.
As individuals, we are free (at our own peril) to express our views, the problem is that we are running out of sites to host us.

Venues, such as the one we are on right now; have faced repercussions for allowing the open discussion of "controversial" topics & all news outlets have been streamlined to only allow one-sided (read: left) information through.

Sites voicing any alternative or opposing information can still be found; if you are willing to scan through 46 pages or so of search results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
NO. Freedom of speech is fully intact. NOTHING is being undermined. Everyone has the right to say anything they want. Is that not true?

Those speaking DO NOT have the right to control the reaction of those hearing.

How can you disagree with this?
I can certainly disagree with it. Despite protection under 47 U.S.C. § 230.CDA of 1996, (provides immunity from liability for providers and users of an "interactive computer service" who publish information provided by third-party users), search engines, mainstream news & social media giants have chosen to employ censoring algorithms; such as Google's initiative; Project Owl.
https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Project-Owl

How do I really know where I stand on an issue if inconvenient or unfortunate details are filtered out? The ramifications of this are huge when you consider elections, matters of public health, public safety, etc ...

What is even more concerning, is that the twister of the arms of these participating tech/media giants is not "the Russians" ... it's coming from a few select U.S. "Departments of ..." (read: DHHS).

Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
I think within reason one should be able to say as they wish and not be fired for something that didn't take place in the workplace. Me; I say what I want and anybody here who reconizes my post, knows that. I'm not swinging from anybodies nuts to get those Who's Line points up there in the right corner. It's one reason I keep my facebook profile friends only, what I do on my private, was there over a decade before I started working for you, none of your concern profile, is not for you. I won't even add co-workers.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 PM

71 posts, read 53,299 times
Quote:
You're a Trump supporter. You hire a guy to cut your lawn. He shows up wearing an "Impeach Trump" t-shirt. Do you keep him in your employ?
Yep. It's called Free Speech. If he does a good job on my lawn, I couldn't care less how he votes.

Back in the good old days, people could have opposing opinions without getting their panties in a twist. In the 60s and 70s, the Nazi Party held rallies and parades in downtown Chicago. We didn't agree with anything the party stood for, but we didn't get irate and offended. We just chose not to attend. It was free speech. That's how it works.

It's beyond sad to me that we cannot show respect to each other. I've lost friendships with friends not because they were liberal, but because they became so hateful towards people who disagreed with them.

For the record, I am a conservative. For the most part, that means I vote Republican. I don't always agree with everything Trump says or does. There are many Republicans I don't care for and not too many Democrats I do care for. But I try to give consideration to all.

I think political correctness has reached the level of insanity. Does anyone remember Don Rickles? He made a career of insulting people. Look how far we've come. Nowadays, you can't say or do anything without being accused of some kind of racism or (fill-in-the-blank)-phobia or cultural misappropriation, no matter how innocent or trivial your transgression might be.

You are welcome to your opinions. But so am I. So is everyone.

I grieve for the loss of mutual respect and constitutional rights. If that makes me racist, fascist, or some kind of phobe, then so be it. But I'm willing to support your right to disagree with me. Are you willing to do the same?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Quote:
You're a Trump supporter. You hire a guy to cut your lawn. He shows up wearing an "Impeach Trump" t-shirt. Do you keep him in your employ?
I'd try to educate him.

Megyn Kelley got fired because it isn't allowed to point out that at one time, blackface was acceptable. The line is that blackface was always unacceptable and only racists and the ignorant did it or weren't offended by it.

Well, I was there. And I can say that in polite society blackface was acceptable. And not only on Halloween. Maybe blacks found it offensive but equally as likely, they weren't instructed to find it offensive yet and so didn't.

And a couple of decades earlier, "White Only" was socially acceptable. It was the way of life in the South and few in the North thought much about it one way or the other.

Why weren't Jimmies Kimmel and Fallon fired? They actually wore blackface and wore it after it had crossed the line of social acceptability.

My own opinion is that NBC lured MK away from Fox because they didn't want a smart, attractive (beautiful, actually), conservative woman having a successful TV show. They put her in situations they knew wouldn't work, biding their time and knowing eventually they'd have a pseudo excuse send her to Siberia.

The one they got was close enough. For them.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:10 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I'm very pro-Trump. I don't apologize for it. While I don't go talking politics at work or with people on the street, if pushed, I'll definitely tell you where I stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates