U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 1,678,627 times

Advertisements

Voters can participate at various levels, but what if they are overruled? There is often high voter turnout in major presidential elections, but as we've seen, millions can go one way, and a 500-ish group of electors go another way. So those millions don't have a lot of power. Some votes clearly count than others.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-14-2019 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM

32,848 posts, read 40,242,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Of course they are.

The higher the participation rate, the more the election results represent the will of the people. I think that low rate reflect deep dissatisfaction with the political system at worst or with specific candidates at best.
Or laziness. Or, like this past year here, bad weather. Or forgetfulness. Even people who you'd think are invested in a candidate due to their campaigning or asking for a yard sign or donating money will skip voting. Especially if they think their candidate is a lock to win.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 PM

339 posts, read 76,572 times
It should be mandatory that you vote or you should lose rights. Tests are a good thing to use for determining the worthiness of a voter. I know tests were used to discriminate in the past, but now everyone has access to the same information. Some of the things you mentioned are a great starting point.

This would likely cause people not to vote a straight ticket. That kind of voting is a horrible idea and is one of the main reasons we have so many problems with our politicians. I cannot recall ever voting a straight ticket.
I research each candidate and vote based on the data collected while researching their habits.

Old Today, 05:41 PM

81 posts, read 17,766 times
Although informing one's self about the candidates is only to be commended, it does lead to unresolvable problems.

For example, I research the candidates and their views on the issues that concern me. I find that there is no perfect match. Therefore, I end up voting for a candidate who will act against my wishes on one or more issues.

It becomes worse that this, because the elected
representative enters office with the belief that they have a mandate to enact whatever they had promised in their campaign.

It can also cause issues for the elected person. If they fail to implement all their campaign promises they are denigrated in the public eye. This can happen even if they research the issues in more detail and change their mind when they find that a majority of their voters would oppose their original promise.

In the end, we can only do limited research and as we very seldom really know any candidate personally, we all rely on gut feeling when we line up to vote. Despite this, I really prefer that everyone vote rather than ignore their democratic rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or