U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 09:19 AM

8,150 posts, read 7,159,435 times

Advertisements

Personally I think names like Warriors or Chiefs is a tribute to these people who first lived here and so bravely fought for their lives and their land. After all, no team wants to be referred to as the "Frenchmen".

Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 AM

4,188 posts, read 1,516,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. Don't try to manipulate the discussion. The Redskins is an "Indian" team name.

Have you researched why American Indians think it's offensive. Could it be because it has NOTHING to do with anything complimentary?
Agreed. The OP is trying to steer the discussion away from the most controversial and debatable example of such a name. It's like having a discussion about acts of terrorism and not including 9/11.

"Chiefs" might be tolerable to a Native American, but I am guessing that "Redskins" is not.

Any Native Americans on this forum that can answer that question or comment? Sorry if I have already missed your post.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM

2,180 posts, read 490,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Agreed. The OP is trying to steer the discussion away from the most controversial and debatable example of such a name. It's like having a discussion about acts of terrorism and not including 9/11.

"Chiefs" might be tolerable to a Native American, but I am guessing that "Redskins" is not.

Any Native Americans on this forum that can answer that question or comment? Sorry if I have already missed your post.
I'm part native. But from those who are full native, most of them have no issue with "redskins."

Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 PM

839 posts, read 283,568 times
I started reading the comments and thought we have been through this a number of times before. So no more reading and off to something else.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Hey, don't forget about the "Fightin' Whities":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites
Tad controversial there, think I’ll sit this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Personally I think names like Warriors or Chiefs is a tribute to these people who first lived here and so bravely fought for their lives and their land. After all, no team wants to be referred to as the "Frenchmen".
I can see where you’re coming from with Warriors and Chiefs, but you’re on thin ice when you put down my ancestors.
If they hadn’t turned up at Yorktown both the French army under Lafayette fighting side by side with The Continentals and the French navy blocking Cornwallis’s escape, y’all may be speaking with British accents now.
Although I doubt it, we managed to hold on to Canada in the War of 1812, but they sound similar to you guys, not the same at all, but similar.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 AM

11,374 posts, read 16,920,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

I beg to differ.

Poll after poll, conducted by publications ranging from Sports Illustrated to The Washington Post, has found that most Native Americans could care less about the term Redskins. The vast majority simply has no problem with it.

Indeed one can even find a high school mascot called Redskins on an Indian reservation and Native American groups have happily attended Redskins games.

The indigenous peoples of the Americas do not have red colored skin.

The Washington Redskins were originally the Boston Braves, who shared a stadium with the then Boston Braves baseball team. After a year or so, they moved to Fenway and shared it with the Boston Red Sox. They changed their name to reflect their co-tenant much as The Chicago Cubs and Bears and the Detroit Lions and Tigers do. There is nothing particularly nefarious about that.

They did not chose the Indian motif out of honor or racial derision. They chose it because it's cool. Most Americans are very enamored with the mythological image of Indians no matter how inaccurate or archaic it is. In reality, most Americans view Native Americans/Indians the same way: a mixture of awe and pity.

And I think the vast majority of us know that watching a Redskins game is not akin to participating in a US Calvary assault circa 1875. It does have its own miseries, most recently on Thanksgiving.

Old Today, 01:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 2,862,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
For the point of this conversation, I'm setting aside "Redskins" because its use as a racial slur is a different conversation.

I'm hearing (mostly from the far left) that virtually ALL team names related to that culture is racist. But what is so bad about a team named the Chiefs (or something similar). I don't understand why that would be anymore offensive to a Native American than say, the "Cowboys" are to some folks in Wyoming or "Mariners" are to boaters.

I'm genuinely curious what is offensive about this. I would like for someone who does feel they are offensive to explain it to me. Maybe it is super obvious and I'm just missing it, but I just don't get it.

I'm part Native American, and I have no problem with team names like "Indians," "Redskins," "Chiefs," or anything else.

I do, however, have a problem with guilt-ridden predominantly white leftists attempting to exert influence over private enterprises in the name of political correctness.

Old Today, 08:21 AM

15,649 posts, read 9,223,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I started reading the comments and thought we have been through this a number of times before. So no more reading and off to something else.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.