U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:33 PM

3,701 posts, read 3,302,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

"Redskins" BTW- does not refer to the color of Native Americans' natural skin, but to the war paint those living near the east coast commonly wore. Again-- a tribute to their strength and bravery. Nobody names a team the Lovebirds, Whimps or Puppies. [Except the Chicago Cubbies. Did I ever mention I was a White Sox fan?]
The Washington Redskins started out as the Boston Braves. But when they got evicted from Braves Stadium by the baseball Boston Braves they decided to switch to Redskins and drop the Braves nickname after they found a new stadium.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM

4,589 posts, read 1,585,092 times
I'm part N/A. Most indigenous don't have a problem with "The Chiefs". Some do though. They feel that it marginalizes, and that it's a form of ethnic stereotyping. Not everyone is a chief, not everyone is an alcoholic, not everyone wears eagle feathers, etc.

But like I said, most don't have an issue with "The Chiefs". Many N/As DID AND DO have an issue with "Redskins" and with the image of the Cleveland Indians. It's a racial and ethnic stereotype, and one I find personally offensive.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:11 PM

19,306 posts, read 9,087,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
When a Native American rings in, this thread might have more value than a strip of bumwad. Used bumwad.
You know that's highly unlikely, but this Ending the Era of Harmful isn't good enough for you.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:45 PM

4,504 posts, read 2,508,727 times
More PC crap.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 PM

5,556 posts, read 8,249,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
For the point of this conversation, I'm setting aside "Redskins" because its use as a racial slur is a different conversation.

I'm hearing (mostly from the far left) that virtually ALL team names related to that culture is racist. But what is so bad about a team named the Chiefs (or something similar). I don't understand why that would be anymore offensive to a Native American than say, the "Cowboys" are to some folks in Wyoming or "Mariners" are to boaters.

I'm genuinely curious what is offensive about this. I would like for someone who does feel they are offensive to explain it to me. Maybe it is super obvious and I'm just missing it, but I just don't get it.
They're not offensive except to the hypocrites that are always looking for something to be offended about.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 PM

13,683 posts, read 7,337,932 times
Quote:
LOL. You are taking straw manning to a whole new level. Like, you know you are doing it and don't even care. Don't manipulate the discussion? You mean don't ask people who are posting in the thread to address the question I posed instead of going off on a tangent?

And actually, I think being called a chief could be quite complimentary. It is a common nickname fathers call their sons. Guess it is in the eye of the beholder.
Right - and you aren't the beholder that counts in this case...so your opinion is irrelevant. Thanks for playing.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:12 PM

8,635 posts, read 5,961,623 times
Quote:
LOL. You are taking straw manning to a whole new level. Like, you know you are doing it and don't even care. Don't manipulate the discussion? You mean don't ask people who are posting in the thread to address the question I posed instead of going off on a tangent?

And actually, I think being called a chief could be quite complimentary. It is a common nickname fathers call their sons. Guess it is in the eye of the beholder.
This pretty much says that you're not really interested in an honest discussion of the topic but are looking to confirm your own biases. Got it.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 PM

8,342 posts, read 10,127,448 times
Because we've become a PC society where a large number of people seem to spend their lives obsessing over and being offended by how things sound and appear.

Honestly, how many Indian Americans were truly personally offended because some football/sports teams have names like Seminoles, Redskins, etc. ... until the PC crowd told them they should be?

The 'animal rights' folks are probably the next in line to be offended by sports teams named after lions, bears, tigers and dolphins.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 PM

383 posts, read 82,817 times
Quote:
For the point of this conversation, I'm setting aside "Redskins" because its use as a racial slur is a different conversation.

I'm hearing (mostly from the far left) that virtually ALL team names related to that culture is racist. But what is so bad about a team named the Chiefs (or something similar). I don't understand why that would be anymore offensive to a Native American than say, the "Cowboys" are to some folks in Wyoming or "Mariners" are to boaters.

I'm genuinely curious what is offensive about this. I would like for someone who does feel they are offensive to explain it to me. Maybe it is super obvious and I'm just missing it, but I just don't get it.
I am over 50% Native American (Cherokee & Choctaw) and it is not offensive to me. Sadly, those who want to hate on others falsely crying foul come in all races

Old 11-10-2018, 04:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm part N/A. Most indigenous don't have a problem with "The Chiefs". Some do though. They feel that it marginalizes, and that it's a form of ethnic stereotyping. Not everyone is a chief, not everyone is an alcoholic, not everyone wears eagle feathers, etc.

But like I said, most don't have an issue with "The Chiefs". Many N/As DID AND DO have an issue with "Redskins" and with the image of the Cleveland Indians. It's a racial and ethnic stereotype, and one I find personally offensive.
An interesting discussion, although I don’t have a dog in this hunt, coming from across the pond, the only Indians I come into contact with, are from the sub continent.
Actually, a great deal of our “Indian” restaurants are owned and staffed by Bangladeshis, many, being Muslim, don’t serve alcohol, but will let you bring some from the corner store, usually owned and run by Indians.
The word chief over here, particularly in London, was used among blue collar guys to address people they came into contact with, but didn’t yet know.
e.g., a truck driver would walk into a factory or warehouse, and say to someone who appeared to be in charge, “Where do you want these boxes chief?”, or someone would go into a car parts depot, and say, “Alright chief?,(alright? is a London term for how you doing?), you got any brake linings for a Ford Fiesta?”
I didn’t know that redskins referred to war paint, every day’s a school day I guess.
I got a tad confused at the mention of the Boston Braves, having caught a couple of ball games in Atlanta when on vacation, so I turned to Google, and found that the Boston Braves had morphed into the Atlanta Braves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates