Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

My high school was the Braves. We had the stereotypical headshot. We did “tomahawk chops” and fake native cheers.

Our mascot and themes were basically a hodge podge of stereotypes. Why would you want your culture reduced to a mishmash of stereotypes.

While this metaphor won’t go the distance, let’s go with it. Let’s pretend there was a team called the Euros. The team wears kilts, sings Russian folk songs, drinks black tea and busicuts during the game breaks, and does cheers in Italian.

Imagine a world where the primary exposure and recognition about “Europe” is via sports teams. And when you say you are “European,” people start asking you about your kilt, sing to you in Russian and so on. And you are really from Portugul and none if this stuff reflects your culture or identity. But everyone else is an “expert” because they have seen how the Euro team is represented in sports.

Maybe it is too hard for you to imagine being basically invisible in society other than skme stereotypes so it is hard to relate.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
I’m waiting for the San Diego Crackers to make their debut.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Those of the First Nation are not the only ones who've had their names and caricatures of their images co-opted for use as mascot names by sports teams. In my own region, there are the Vikings, Axemen (another term for Vikings), Vandals, Scots, Irish, Highlanders, Saxons, Spartans and Samurai, just to name a few. Is there no objection by people descended from those groups, to the parodies of their ancestors that this involves? Is selective political-correctness legitimate?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
When a Native American rings in, this thread might have more value than a strip of bumwad. Used bumwad.
Maybe we should ask Elizabeth Warren?
Just kidding.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Maybe we should ask Elizabeth Warren?
Just kidding.
1/2020th For Pres....

https://pics.me.me/elizabeth-warren-...e-37104456.png

Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yeah, I'm sure most Redskins fans would know that.

(And just so ya know...I lived in the D.C. burbs most of my life, so I know better).
Hey, you never know. Like I said, there are so many areas in Maryland with Native American names (either tribe names or other words from native american languages) that there may be quite a few Redskin's fans that might have a slight inkling of some of the major tribes that inhabited the area. But they probably don't know it because they did their homework before deciding to root for the home team. More from just exposure to the use of the names in geographical areas. However, I don't think not knowing the tribes of the DMV area makes Redskins fans hypocrites. I'm sure most of the population of the area don't know the tribes.

(And just so ya know...I have lived in Maryland ALL of my life, but I don't assume to know better than anyone.)

Old 11-16-2018, 08:27 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My high school was the Braves. We had the stereotypical headshot. We did “tomahawk chops” and fake native cheers.

Our mascot and themes were basically a hodge podge of stereotypes. Why would you want your culture reduced to a mishmash of stereotypes.

While this metaphor won’t go the distance, let’s go with it. Let’s pretend there was a team called the Euros. The team wears kilts, sings Russian folk songs, drinks black tea and busicuts during the game breaks, and does cheers in Italian.

Imagine a world where the primary exposure and recognition about “Europe” is via sports teams. And when you say you are “European,” people start asking you about your kilt, sing to you in Russian and so on. And you are really from Portugul and none if this stuff reflects your culture or identity. But everyone else is an “expert” because they have seen how the Euro team is represented in sports.

Maybe it is too hard for you to imagine being basically invisible in society other than skme stereotypes so it is hard to relate.
That was a good way to look at it. I've never been bothered by team names (and from what I've read, the majority of Native Americans aren't bothered either), but your post did help me view the issue in a new light. Thanks for your perspective.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
they arent

Old 11-16-2018, 04:23 PM

34,997 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I believe that place names are based on tradition. Native Americans should not have dictatorial power over the use of place names. Worse, it reduces awareness of Native American heritage. In short, bad idea to find offense over that.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:10 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Hey, don't forget about the "Fightin' Whities":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates