U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 369,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I see nothing wrong with it. however, if there is a conflict between public service on the private sector guys, the public service should have the right of way. Example would be if there is one fire hydrant, and both entities need to hook to it, the public service should have the right of way to do so over the private sector people.
Private sector probably uses their own water, too LOL with a tanker of Perrier in tow...

Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM

1,636 posts, read 369,718 times
People raised with certain values, or lack thereof, often think "well if no one's using it, then why can't I?" While this may apply to toys in daycare, it certainly does not apply to other people's property as adults.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM

3,054 posts, read 1,780,547 times
Private fire services for the wealthy. At most, it should only be supplementary to the local fire department. The problem comes when neighboring properties catch fire (the "who gets first dibs on a hydrant" or "do the private firefighers have obligations to protect neighboring properties too) makes me thing that it's just plain easier to establish a public fire station in the wealthy neighborhood. That way you avoid lawsuits about breach of contract (if an alliance of wealthy homeowners) and all that garbage.

Now if you're talking about critical services and infrastructure that are well away from other built-up areas (major airports and such), then there may be a point. But even in the case of neighboring properties, it's simpler to ensure adequate public fire protection coverage in the surrounding neighborhoods.

In other words, any short term convenience for the wealthy is more than wiped out by all the confusion, legal issues, etc. that can potentially result from private fire crews (unless that mansion or property are way out in the countryside, WELL away from the nearest public fire protection). The wealthy can probably get the city government to establish a new public fire station nearby anyway IF they so desire it.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:12 PM
DKM

2,104 posts, read 697,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I see nothing wrong with it. however, if there is a conflict between public service on the private sector guys, the public service should have the right of way. Example would be if there is one fire hydrant, and both entities need to hook to it, the public service should have the right of way to do so over the private sector people.
There are already rules in place that take care of this situation so nothing to be worried about.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 555,958 times
Money really does buy everything, doesn't it? It's a clever business move for companies to make money and offer another service to their customers, and I imagine the pay is better for the firefighters too or at least a side income.

On a side note, if California ever runs out of water, I imagine rich people have the money to actually truck out-of-state water directly to their homes while average people die from dehydration. And they have private jets to fly them to another house out of state.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 PM

14,364 posts, read 12,665,117 times
It doesn't always have to be a rich vs poor scenario.

Let's say my neighbor and I make the exact same amount of money.

There is a week long power outage in the middle of winter.

I use my generator so I can stay in the comfort of my own home for that week.

My neighbor is stuck in some crappy shelter for a week while the pipes in his home freeze and burst.

I had the money to have a whole house generator installed but my neighbor didn't.

I had the money because, unlike my neighbor, I drive an old, used car, never go on vacation and didn't spend money on a nice big boat.

Is it unfair that I didn't suffer like my neighbor?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:33 PM

24,870 posts, read 59,936,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is NOT what I have said or suggested. I don't think we have to make every service equal but the question is where do we draw the line? If public schools were all safe and had reasonable class sizes then the idea of 25k a year private elementary schools would not be an issue. If the wealthy would retain their private fire departments to help others when their own property is not in jeopardy it would demonstrate that they at least have empathy for others. When the Duchess of Cambridge had her baby it was in a public NHS hospital, maybe she had private nurses or a special room - I wouldn't doubt it, but at least she demonstrated to the public that what is good enough for them is also good enough for her.
You have never been to a bad school or living in a bad school district obviously. Safety and class size is not the problem in these schools Unless you mean lack of safety at home. That is one of the factors that can make a bad school bad. Money is not going to fix the bad schools A complete change in the culture is necessary. Mostly it is bag parents that make the schools bad

Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 PM

9,430 posts, read 7,403,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A $60 million dollar home is no more important to it's owners than a $60,000 home is to it's owners.
Of course. The $60k homeowners are free to hire their own firefighters if they want to.

I don't see the problem. Everyone is getting firefighting services, whether private or public.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 PM

27,549 posts, read 11,577,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You have never been to a bad school or living in a bad school district obviously. Safety and class size is not the problem in these schools Unless you mean lack of safety at home. That is one of the factors that can make a bad school bad. Money is not going to fix the bad schools A complete change in the culture is necessary. Mostly it is bag parents that make the schools bad
You don't know anything about me so please avoid making assumptions. Schools in most parts of the Country are worse in poor areas than they are in wealthy areas. There are a number of reasons for that and most do not involve "bag parents" whatever that is supposed to mean.

Districts where funding is through local property tax tend to favor wealthy areas at the expense of low income areas. A growing trend is for a wealthy district to secede from the district and form their own district, a form of de facto segregation. School choice has exacerbated the problem in some areas because 'choice' carries with it the burden of transporting your child to a school that is sometimes miles away which can be impossible for an urban family without a car.

https://hechingerreport.org/the-gap-...over-a-decade/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tion-evolution

https://www.brookings.edu/research/n...gated-schools/

Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 PM

4,888 posts, read 1,229,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Bad parenting AND bad students.

I've atteneded bad schools, and alot of folks don't realize the amount of class disruptions that occur in them by the future burger flippers of America who couldn't care less. Imagine 1 person disrupting a class, now imagine a class full of these people, that is what it's like to attend a bad school.

So it's no secret that people with money will try to send their kids to the best public and private schools this country can offer, keeping them away from the riff raff contained in the majority of public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or