U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2018, 07:13 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,809 posts, read 52,167,550 times
Reputation: 83522

Advertisements

As multiple devastating wildfires raged across California, a private firefighting crew reportedly helped save Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s home in Calabasas. The successful defense of the $60 million mansion is the most prominent example of a trend that’s begun to receive national attention: for-hire firefighters protecting homes, usually on the payroll of an insurance company with a lot at risk.

Firefighters are consistently ranked the most beloved public servants because they treat everyone equally.
But if we allow firefighting to become a two-tiered system (with one tier for the elite and another tier for everyone else), then that threatens the democratic-republican ideal of everyone contributing their fair share for the greater needs of the commonwealth.

For some - including many firefighters from municipalities - protection from a deadly wildfire isn't something that some neighbors should be able to buy when others can’t.

Is this a story of the ramifications of economic disparity in this country?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ighting/575887
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...est-of-us-burn
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2018 at 07:23 PM..

 
Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,364 posts, read 12,665,117 times
Reputation: 19194
How is that any different than the rich hiring private security guards rather than relying on the local police like everyone else?

Look at it this way, the for-hire fire fighters freed up the other fire fighters to lend help elsewhere.

Just a fact, the work they did saving the Kardashian house also saved other houses.

Another thought, I wonder what is costs to insure mega-million dollar homes?

Unless this trend starts to somehow decrease the availability of public, tax supported services I don't have a problem with it.

The rich get all kinds of perks the rest of us don't, it's just a fact of life.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 PM
 
16,617 posts, read 17,769,585 times
Reputation: 23844
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
As multiple devastating wildfires raged across California, a private firefighting crew reportedly helped save Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s home in Calabasas. The successful defense of the $60 million mansion is the most prominent example of a trend that’s begun to receive national attention: for-hire firefighters protecting homes, usually on the payroll of an insurance company with a lot at risk.

Firefighters are consistently ranked the most beloved public servants because they treat everyone equally.
But if we allow firefighting to become a two-tiered system (with one tier for the elite and another tier for everyone else), then that threatens the democratic-republican ideal of everyone contributing their fair share for the greater needs of the commonwealth.

For some - including many firefighters from municipalities - protection from a deadly wildfire isn't something that some neighbors should be able to buy when others can’t.

Is this a story of the ramifications of economic disparity in this country?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ighting/575887
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...est-of-us-burn
So what? We have mercenary armies and private security companies too. If someone has the money to hire a private fire fighting crew to save their house more power to them.

That’s why rich people live in 60 million dollar mansions. Because they can.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 09:11 PM
 
881 posts, read 434,385 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How is that any different than the rich hiring private security guards rather than relying on the local police like everyone else?

Look at it this way, the for-hire fire fighters freed up the other fire fighters to lend help elsewhere.

Just a fact, the work they did saving the Kardashian house also saved other houses.

Another thought, I wonder what is costs to insure mega-million dollar homes?

Unless this trend starts to somehow decrease the availability of public, tax supported services I don't have a problem with it.

The rich get all kinds of perks the rest of us don't, it's just a fact of life.
I mostly agree... Plus it isn't like Kim and Kanye aren't still paying taxes that fund the local fire Dept.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 PM
 
4,808 posts, read 1,908,666 times
Reputation: 4887
I can't say I disagree, if I had a 60 million dollar home I would take steps to protect it also.

Probably with a built in fire fighting system.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,542 posts, read 11,577,585 times
Reputation: 19477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How is that any different than the rich hiring private security guards rather than relying on the local police like everyone else?
Look at it this way, the for-hire fire fighters freed up the other fire fighters to lend help elsewhere.
Just a fact, the work they did saving the Kardashian house also saved other houses.
Another thought, I wonder what is costs to insure mega-million dollar homes?
Unless this trend starts to somehow decrease the availability of public, tax supported services I don't have a problem with it.
The rich get all kinds of perks the rest of us don't, it's just a fact of life.
Understood, but I don't think that elnina was saying they shouldn't be allowed to utilize private firefighters but rather she was pointing out the growing disparity between the 'haves and the have nots'. I thought about this while looking at private schools for my grandson. Tuition for grades 1-5 at the best private elementary school in the area is $22,350 and they have more applicants than they do openings. It got me to thinking about the disparity between schools like that and public schools in the district, and it doesn't stop at schools.

The question that it raises is, should the quality of education, the excellence of police work and fire fighting all be based upon how much you can afford to pay? If so, where is the line drawn? Should the wealthy get special ambulances that can get them to the hospital quicker? Should they be treated in special hospitals where their money guarantees that they won't die waiting to be seen in the ER? Should organ transplants be doled out to the highest bidder?

I'm not claiming to have the answers to these questions but I think they merit an honest discussion and they point out a growing problem where more and more of our nation's wealth is in the hands of fewer and fewer people.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Texas
6,881 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Reputation: 14597
It's only a matter of time before firefighting and police services are privatized. And if you can't afford fire or police protection - good luck.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
6,881 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Reputation: 14597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The question that it raises is, should the quality of education, the excellence of police work and fire fighting all be based upon how much you can afford to pay? .
According to conservatives, yes. They also want to eliminate public schools by slowly defunding them and giving vouchers to the wealthy for private schools.
 
Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,364 posts, read 12,665,117 times
Reputation: 19194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Understood, but I don't think that elnina was saying they shouldn't be allowed to utilize private firefighters but rather she was pointing out the growing disparity between the 'haves and the have nots'. I thought about this while looking at private schools for my grandson. Tuition for grades 1-5 at the best private elementary school in the area is $22,350 and they have more applicants than they do openings. It got me to thinking about the disparity between schools like that and public schools in the district, and it doesn't stop at schools.

The question that it raises is, should the quality of education, the excellence of police work and fire fighting all be based upon how much you can afford to pay? If so, where is the line drawn? Should the wealthy get special ambulances that can get them to the hospital quicker? Should they be treated in special hospitals where their money guarantees that they won't die waiting to be seen in the ER? Should organ transplants be doled out to the highest bidder?

I'm not claiming to have the answers to these questions but I think they merit an honest discussion and they point out a growing problem where more and more of our nation's wealth is in the hands of fewer and fewer people.
How are we going to stop rich people from taking advantage of their wealth?

Make it illegal to hire their own security/fire fighters? Make it illegal for them to send their children to expensive, private schools? Make it illegal for them to fly an ill loved one half way around the world to access the best physician they can find?

Where would you draw the line on how the rich are allowed to spend their money?
 
Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,745 posts, read 21,918,807 times
Reputation: 45003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I can't say I disagree, if I had a 60 million dollar home I would take steps to protect it also.

Probably with a built in fire fighting system.
A $60 million dollar home is no more important to it's owners than a $60,000 home is to it's owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top