U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM
DKM

2,115 posts, read 707,130 times

Advertisements

It will only ruin the college sports environment further. Its already dominated by schools willing to push the envelope on academic standards and finding barely legal ways to pay their families. This would just let the richest schools have the best teams as long as they can pay for it. Parity would be further eroded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 03:14 PM

4,982 posts, read 1,260,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i graduated electrical engineering from a d-1 mid-atlantic university. during march-madness my school happen to make it to the sweet-sixteen in my hometown of boston. i was planning to travel with them to root them on but i had a engineering lab mid-term so i couldnt go. there were no engineers on the basketball team. i guess they select majors where they can write mid-term papers on the road which means no physical labs (anything science, engineering, computer, med, ... relateted); since, they have to be 4 different cities usually in different regions in the country in that 5 week period when most students are in the library cramming.
There are plenty of engineers in America who played college sports. Maybe not basketball but they still played other sports.

Lets not act like every student athlete in history is studying kinesiology.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:17 PM

42,382 posts, read 50,172,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I love college football. But I don't understand how our institutions of higher education have gotten into the business of fielding semiprofessional athletic teams.

No admittance for athletes unless your test scores and GPAs meet at least the 25% percentile of that incoming freshman class. This way, we don't have functional illiterates entering college purely on their ability to catch a pass or hit a baseball. My daughter tutored athletes while going through college, and was shocked at some who could barely read or write a compete sentence. At the same time, it sends a signal to high school athletes that they better take their studies seriously.

No paying athletes. Anyone with an above average IQ should be able to see where this would go. There's already national insanity over some 5-star athlete choosing his college. Can you imagine how much worse it gets when he's playing for the highest bidder. Can you imagine? Most college athletic programs lose money as it is. I can't imagine how many more would be in the red if this idea gained legitimacy.
Agree.

I think pre-pro sports should be done like some baseball.
Go from high school to A, AA, AAA farm teams instead of pretending to be there to learn.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:52 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,984,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There are plenty of engineers in America who played college sports. Maybe not basketball but they still played other sports.

Lets not act like every student athlete in history is studying kinesiology.
fair enough, but d-1 basketball and football are much more extreme than rowing.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 PM

2,433 posts, read 2,150,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Even mentioning "closest thing to" with regards to slavery pretty much undercuts your entire argument with it's gross hyperbole.

For example, enlisting in the military is vastly closer to slavery.
I disagree. Being drafted into the military is closer to slavery.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It will only ruin the college sports environment further. Its already dominated by schools willing to push the envelope on academic standards and finding barely legal ways to pay their families. This would just let the richest schools have the best teams as long as they can pay for it. Parity would be further eroded.
So what? Why does parity matter? Are you afraid that if rich schools start paying players higher salaries, all the studs that go to Coastal Carolina, Hofstra, Pepperdine, South Dakota State, and Lipscomb will start considering Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, and Ohio State?

...oh wait, there is already no parity between the haves and the have nots.

Why do you think parity in a sport is more important than the right to earn a living? The only reason there is any need for parity is to keep fans interested. The NBA is doing as well as it has ever done right now and there is virtually no parity as Golden State, for the 3rd or 4th straight season, is the odds on favorite to win the NBA championship.

What's next? Don't let the best restaurants pay the best servers the highest wage? Don't let individuals pay the best lawyer they can afford? Don't let Google hire the best engineers?

It is idiotic and the writing is on the wall as far as the legal issues are concerned.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
No, they are already on scholarship.
If you are an employer and are paying someone $20/hr but they bring in $200/hr of value to the company, would you refuse to give them a raise to $25/hr because "they are already making $20/hr"?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:47 PM
46H

860 posts, read 487,750 times
Why is it ok not to be paid for your talents and skills?

The idea that a "scholarship" is a fair trade is nonsense. As a high school student, you are forced to sign a contract without representation. The 4 year scholarship is actually a 1 year scholarship to be renewed at the coach's discretion each year. You can be dumped for almost any reason based on the contract you signed without a lawyer. Much of the time the scholarships are chopped up into little pieces to spread the wealth which means you need more money. If you need to earn money to pay for the rest of school, you cannot use your special athletic skill to tutor other athletes, unlike student scholarship musicians who can earn money in a bar band or student scholarship art students who can tutor other artists for money.

As a student-athlete, you are owned by the school for about 20 hours a week - in season and out of season. This does not include travel time or overnights due to travel. This time suck makes studying difficult. Many athletes will be directed to the easiest classes because coaches have a " high grade" bonus clause in their contracts. If you want to transfer the coach can dictate where you go.

The NCAA also gets into bed with the pro leagues to screw athletes. If you sign to play baseball or hockey in college, you cannot play in MLB/NHL related leagues for 3 years. For football you must be out of high school 3 years to even be considered. Basketball has the absurd 1 and done. Then, if you are one of the lucky few, you get drafted and have no choice about where you go (unless your dad is Archie Manning or you can play another sport) If you get drafted and cut you can no longer play in the NCAA.

My nephew plays d2 baseball ($2k scholarship/$20k cost). He is not allowed to get a job at a baseball academy tutoring for $25/hr. He is allowed to play baseball for free during the summer in a college baseball league in Cape Cod or NC or Michigan where people pay to watch him and he gets a bedroom at a host family. I guess it is a good thing my brother can afford to feed him and pay for his car expenses during the summer while my nephew chases his dream. The owners of these teams have figured out another way to make money if you have free labor and talent whored out by the NCAA.

If the sport makes money, the athletes should get paid. This has zero to do with Title 9. If you are the starting QB at Alabama you should get paid. If you are playing D2 baseball, you are not going to get paid.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:38 PM

9,207 posts, read 16,641,195 times
Yes, I think the best should get a small amount for living expenses. A full-ride scholarship is nice, but you've still got to live, and working part-time while being a college athlete just doesn't work. That's where you get the cheaters. The big car dealer says to the big star, "I'll put you on my payroll and you don't really need to work, just show up now and then for appearances." The kid with poor parents and no money needs some cash for living expenses so jumps at the chance. Then he and the school are both in trouble. Just let the athletic department help out with a small "allowance". They're making big bucks from these kids, so helping them out with a little cash should be acceptable.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 2,305,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...202272034.html

Interesting stance, as a former collegiate student athlete I know very well that many small schools canít afford to pay their players.

While I understand the unfairness of broke college students bringing in tons of money for the school, I think at the end of the day the scholarship itself is worth a lot so long as you finish your education in a marketable degree.
Athletics should be pursued for the joy and glory of doing it. Being gifted enough to do that, is a blessing and it should not be tainted by money. There are multitudes of people who would pay money, to be able to participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or