U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM

3,925 posts, read 1,662,939 times

Advertisements

I posted this link on another thread. It really says it all.

Hope the link works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwVp...youtu.be&t=176
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM

13,309 posts, read 7,350,590 times
I have a better idea. Lets celebrate all holidays from all ethnic backgrounds. We went to a Diwali light festival with our Hindu friends. It's a spiritual festival of the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance. Ignorance is local library's canceling their Santa visit. They did that around here and our friend just lost a lot of money. Look, kids are kids and our Hindu friends daughter believes in Santa. They celebrate Christmas with us and will be spending the night on Christmas Eve. Their little one doesn't think in terms of Hindu vs atheist or Hindu vs Christian. She's in it for the good food, time with loved ones, and Santa presents. We do the same for Easter and she is here on Halloween, which is huge in our house.

We enjoyed the light festival. We ate some amazing food off of a banana leaf with our bare hands. The kids running around with sparklers on a crisp fall night was beautiful. I didn't care if it was a Hindu based festival. I was in it for the food, the fun, and time spent with dear friends exploring who they are. Maybe we should all try and remember what it was like being a shortie and look at these different religions as opportunities to have some fun and explore some new eats ? (Did I mention that the food was amazing?) Okay but I had to say it again. I will also say that we were treated like royalty. We were the only white people there, and they were grateful that we wanted to explore who they are as human beings.

I think in the end we are all the same, we just have different ways of having fun. Why try and destroy that?

Old 12-12-2018, 11:03 AM

18,490 posts, read 10,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I will continue to celebrate all the holidays and days of festivities. At Christmas time, I not only decorate inside but outside as well. If our country's customs and celebratory days offend, those people are free to stay inside like hermits or move to a country where none of that is celebrated. From what I've seen in my travels, they can pretty much rule out living in any western country if they want to avoid Christmas.
I've worked with and around a whole lot of immigrants--particularly Indians--and I've never heard any of them complain about the common US holidays.

When we've discussed such things, their attitude seems to be, "We're not offended that you celebrate your holidays in your own country. If you come to India, we will continue to celebrate our holidays, so we expect you to continue to celebrate yours."

They're happy for the freedom to continue their celebrations while in the US. Indian Hindus, in particular, don't seem to mind expanding their own holiday celebrations.

It seems to me that it's Americans who are afraid of offending immigrants with American holidays.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 AM

401 posts, read 190,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

It seems to me that it's Americans who are afraid of offending immigrants with American holidays.
They are only afraid because the immigrants raise a big stink about them. For some reason, America is expected to give up its culture to pander to the wishes of people from other cultures, while other countries are admired for preserving their cultural identities.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Independence Day have long been part of the fabric of our country, which is slowly being unraveled due to the wishes of folks coming here from other countries who feel the need to turn America into the 3rd world cesspool they chose to leave. Many of the immigrants these days, legal and illegal, have no desire to assimilate into our culture, learn English, or respect our laws and traditions. It's our fault that we continue to allow this.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:32 AM

7,203 posts, read 2,626,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have a better idea. Lets celebrate all holidays from all ethnic backgrounds. W
Speak for yourself.

People don't have to celebrate other holidays that aren't from their ethnic backgrounds; in some cases doing so would even be considered cultural appropriation. I would feel silly and inappropriate celebrating a Hindu holiday. It's not my place to do that.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:34 AM

7,203 posts, read 2,626,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
They are only afraid because the immigrants raise a big stink about them. For some reason, America is expected to give up its culture to pander to the wishes of people from other cultures, while other countries are admired for preserving their cultural identities. .
Pretty much true. Too much offense is taken. Nobody has the right to go to another country and insist that people stop their traditions and cultures.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM

18 posts, read 19,248 times
Some other people are Americans also. My old boss was jewish, grew up in public school. They had months of all things Christmas, art, music, parties, he felt excluded. As employer we were given Christmas gifts, bonuses, paid days off but also for jewish holidays. Since half or clients were jewish were sent holiday cards, not christmas cards. I only wish merry Christmas to people who i know or who were christmas jewelry or something. I wish happy holidays to everyone.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:55 PM

19,459 posts, read 12,842,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I want to be clear that although I am now an agnostic (former Methodist), I have always LOVED Easter, the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

However, lately, these holidays seem to be the cause of disharmony between Americans rather than occasions for both friends and strangers to just share a good time together. Every one of the holidays I listed now have some controversy attached to them, with some people saying that the 4th of July celebrates our white heritage too much, that celebrating Halloween is pagan and unChristian, that Thanksgiving is a travesty because of what the Pilgrims and others did to the natives, and that such things as community Easter Egg hunts or "Breakfast with Santa" are exclusionary (or worse) to people of other religions.

Now, I personally would not like to see those holidays entirely omitted from public notice, but reading some of the comments on some of the current and recent threads (both pro and con about any certain holiday), it makes me think that the public celebration of these holidays are causing more ill will lately than good will.

What do you think?
I think most Americans simply celebrate the holidays. But you can use the holidays however you wish. You can turn them into celebrations of diversity or family togetherness or something else. It is entirely up to you.

But the vast majority us of simply celebrate without a lot if thought as to context and subtext.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM

11,821 posts, read 13,270,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
....I suppose they would be free to go into work on Christmas Day, or to return any holiday pay but I’ve never seen that happen either.
Funny reminder. On my first job you were not guaranteed holidays off, only a day as a token for the holiday that you had to work....and that included the biggies Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve. My mother was outraged that I had to work on my first Christmas. She insisted, "Tell them you can't. You have to come home!!!" I worked of course.

Once out of primary school, high school and the parent domain I think adults should play the holidays however they feel they want to. As for public observances skip 'em if they offend you, or even if they just seem bogus and non-historical. Or go beat a drum in the band, on the other hand, if you are into them.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM

18,490 posts, read 10,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
They are only afraid because the immigrants raise a big stink about them. For some reason, America is expected to give up its culture to pander to the wishes of people from other cultures, while other countries are admired for preserving their cultural identities.
You missed my point.

It is not the immigrants who raise bit stink about American holidays being celebrated in America.

The ones raising a stink are Americans who are "white knighting" for immigrants. Immigrants are happy to go on with their own holidays in addition to American holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates