U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 PM

19,461 posts, read 12,849,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
They are only afraid because the immigrants raise a big stink about them. For some reason, America is expected to give up its culture to pander to the wishes of people from other cultures, while other countries are admired for preserving their cultural identities.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Independence Day have long been part of the fabric of our country, which is slowly being unraveled due to the wishes of folks coming here from other countries who feel the need to turn America into the 3rd world cesspool they chose to leave. Many of the immigrants these days, legal and illegal, have no desire to assimilate into our culture, learn English, or respect our laws and traditions. It's our fault that we continue to allow this.
I really do not agree with this. Many non-Christian residents celebrate Christmas in a secular way, just as many natural born citizens do, for one thing.

Some natural-born Americans choose not to celebrate any holidays.

There are no laws governing how people celebrate any holidays. And plenty of people work through most holidays, anyway,

I imagine our Christmas celebrations today differ greatly from celebrations 100 years ago. Things change, because things change. And I do not think immigrants have much to do with all of this.

It is true that as a culture our sensitivities have changed. Once hurtful behavior is being pointed out. And, just because a behavior does NOT hurt you, does not mean someone else is not being hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 PM

28,440 posts, read 43,835,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I suppose they would be free to go into work on Christmas Day, or to return any holiday pay but Iíve never seen that happen either.
I would gladly go to work on Christmas if I could instead use that day for one of my holidays... but they don't even give us that option, especially since I work for a public agency (meaning we close for all federal holidays + some others). I don't care if people want to celebrate ANY holiday, though, as long as they're not forcing it on me. Honestly, all the BS "War on Christmas" nonsense bothers me waaaay more than the holiday itself!

Old 12-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Speak for yourself.

People don't have to celebrate other holidays that aren't from their ethnic backgrounds; in some cases doing so would even be considered cultural appropriation. I would feel silly and inappropriate celebrating a Hindu holiday. It's not my place to do that.
And yet people get offended if us non-Christians wish them a "Happy Holidays." This is essentially the same as forcing us to "celebrate" your holidays, so I think the other poster had a fair solution to that... but I'd rather you (general you) just leave us alone, and do your thing without expecting the rest of us to acknowledge it. Christmas for me is just a day off, nothing more nothing less. I'm glad if you all are having fun, but don't get pissy with me if I don't share your excitement. That's all I ask.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
They are only afraid because the immigrants raise a big stink about them. For some reason, America is expected to give up its culture to pander to the wishes of people from other cultures, while other countries are admired for preserving their cultural identities.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Independence Day have long been part of the fabric of our country, which is slowly being unraveled due to the wishes of folks coming here from other countries who feel the need to turn America into the 3rd world cesspool they chose to leave. Many of the immigrants these days, legal and illegal, have no desire to assimilate into our culture, learn English, or respect our laws and traditions. It's our fault that we continue to allow this.
Nice little anti-immigrant rant, but it's mostly nonsense - especially considering the majority of our immigrants come from Catholic countries, and therefore would (I assume) at least celebrate Christmas and Easter with vigor. So I guess you're referring to Muslim and/or Hindu immigrants? Most of the ones I know, and that's a LOT considering where I live, couldn't care less about our holidays. Not once have I heard them complain or protest, so if anyone is "pandering" to them it's not at THEIR request. Also, most of them speak better English than many native-born Americans I meet.

So don't mince words - tell us who you hate, and where they touched you.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Pretty much true. Too much offense is taken. Nobody has the right to go to another country and insist that people stop their traditions and cultures.
When and where is that happening, though? I live in one of the most diverse regions in the country, and Christmas (along with all other major holidays) is openly celebrated without protest every year. Show us exactly who is "insisting people stop their traditions and cultures," because I just don't believe that to be true... I think some folks just mistake "wanting to maintain THEIR cultural identity" with expecting others to abandon theirs. Which again is not true.

As for Thanksgiving and Independence Day, literally the ONLY people I've ever heard put up a stink about those are AMERICANS - often native/indigenous Americans, in fact.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:14 PM

42,461 posts, read 50,372,280 times
There's no disharmony.

That's just the media riling people up bc 2 people said something controversial.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM

7,218 posts, read 2,631,321 times
Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Happy Feast of our Lady of Guadalupe!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 PM

6,278 posts, read 9,605,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I want to be clear that although I am now an agnostic (former Methodist), I have always LOVED Easter, the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

However, lately, these holidays seem to be the cause of disharmony between Americans rather than occasions for both friends and strangers to just share a good time together. Every one of the holidays I listed now have some controversy attached to them, with some people saying that the 4th of July celebrates our white heritage too much, that celebrating Halloween is pagan and unChristian, that Thanksgiving is a travesty because of what the Pilgrims and others did to the natives, and that such things as community Easter Egg hunts or "Breakfast with Santa" are exclusionary (or worse) to people of other religions.

Now, I personally would not like to see those holidays entirely omitted from public notice, but reading some of the comments on some of the current and recent threads (both pro and con about any certain holiday), it makes me think that the public celebration of these holidays are causing more ill will lately than good will.

What do you think?
It's agnostic and atheist liberal people that causes most of the outrage in the first place. You're the exception. Not the rule.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,812,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Well, there are people of a different or non existent religious persuasion who may not be pleased but the way I see it this IS America and these ARE a part of our social fabric at least for the time being. As far as the foreseeable future I couldn't say with an accuracy.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I posted this link on another thread. It really says it all.
Although I generally agree with the message of Mr. Prager's video, and his support of Christmas as someone of the Jewish faith adds to his message, he shamelessly plugs fellow Jews for writing all the best Christmas Songs... Which is probably true, but he includes images of Christmas Trees and Wreaths and doesn't cred the Pagans...

Christianity ignores the following as "Inconvenient Truths" sometimes (Not that it should detract from anyone getting caught up in the sheer joy and expression of a given holiday...

A. Christmas Trees and Wreaths have their origin in ancient forms of Paganism, "Yule" wreaths can actually be formed in the shape of a pentagram, this symbol associated with "Wiccan" forms of Paganism (this where the witches hang out). There are also Pagan Holiday cards that display witches, the "Krampus" (look it up), etc. Haloween has it's roots in ancient Celtic/Druid practices...

B. Christ's birthday was actually in the Spring, the holiday date was commuted to December 25th to help prevent seasonal affective disorder and associated suicides and need for anti-depressants, bolster the economy through a down time, and get it closer to the "Winter Solstice" (shortest day of the year)... This another "earthy", "Stonehenge", Sun Cycle, Animals In The "Forest "Pagan" type celebration.

C. Although I don't know what claim Christianity has to Fourth Of July, Thanksgiving and Haloween, notice how these holidays are very conveniently spaced and spread out? And the two biggie's (T-Day and Christmas) coming in the winter? Is this purely coincidence?

Quote:
You...YOU... POLITICALLY INCORRECT MONSTER!!...

And may God bless us everyone!! (we need a "Tiny Tim" emoticon)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates