U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:55 AM

19,518 posts, read 9,194,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I used to celebrate Christmas, but I do not anymore. Im not really an active christian,so imo, the 'holiday' doesnt apply to me. I see many people saying its more about the time to be with family, friends, etc. but thats not what Christmas is...its the celebration of Jesus being born into our world....if you are not Christian, its not applicable to you.

My sisters kids made a really funny comment recently when we were out shopping, she made a remark about all these stores being so religious, since they get REALLY into the 'Christmas spirit' LOL

If I were a devout Christian, I would be truly offended at how the season is 'celebrated' in the secular, retail world, the big stores are just celebrating it because it involves gifting, that is their only concern, if Christmas did not involve gifts, I doubt any store would even recognize it.
It seems as if you're trying to apply a single standard to a holiday, rather than understanding that a holiday can mean different things to different people.

To a devout christian, it can be all or mostly a celebration of their faith.
To a non-devout christian, it can be partly a celebration of their faith and partly a festive time of the year.
To a Buddhist, like me, it can be a festive time of the year when I am more sensitive to being thankful for my friends and other people that I know.
Or, for anyone it can simply be some downtime that has no special meaning or just a time of the year to enjoy oneself in a variety of ways.
How we look at a holiday or event can be individual. It doesn't have to be group-speak.

When I lived in Thailand, most Thais I met didn't know I was a Buddhist unless we got to know each other better. But their attitude toward Buddhist or other holidays was usually come on i. Enjoy being a part of the celebration. No pressure to believe anything. Life is good (or can be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 01:28 PM

1,210 posts, read 437,850 times
No one has to celebrate any of these holidays if they don't want to.It's that simple.Let those who enjoy the holidays enjoy them and those that do not, don't have to participate if they don't want.I don't see how hard it is to do that?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 PM

8,020 posts, read 5,568,285 times
Like statues, confederate flags (that I hate), names and places, ALL of our holidays patriotic, civic and religious (I'm Jewish and I'm counting Easter and Christmas, as long as they don't start playing Christmas music before Halloween) are part of who WE ALL ARE as a Nation.

Keep the holidays!!

Old 12-14-2018, 03:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,968,798 times
Some people are just miserable a-holes who just want to complain. Like that clown school principal in Omaha that wanted to ban Christmas and candy canes from the school. You really have to be a real POS to want to ban the holidays. Some people just need to shut the eff up and keep their complaining to themselves.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah and Happy Kwanzaa to all.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:20 PM

10,820 posts, read 22,539,075 times
No matter what you believe a nice statutory paid vacation from work is nice it means more time for friends and family and time to watch some football and enjoy a couple ice cold beers or a few Rum and Eggnogs

Old 12-14-2018, 08:12 PM

16,490 posts, read 9,097,237 times
Christmas and Easter are religious celebrations for me, and while I generally enjoy the lights and good cheer that abound this time of year, I don't expect others to make a big deal of Christmas for my pleasure. If the mall did not rush the season by decking its halls beginning the day after Halloween, I might actually enjoy Christmas more. I despise what a former pastor called HalloThanksMas, one massive festival of gross consumerism that begins as soon as the Back-to-school displays are disassembled. As a Christian who observes the liturgical seasons, I find a traditional Advent with its quiet anticipation and, in the spring, the long season of introspection called Lent to be a welcome respite from holiday busyness. This time of year is just so loud and overwhelming. As for Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving, they are different for me because each is a celebration founded in the United State's history and culture.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-14-2018 at 08:56 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 PM

2,334 posts, read 415,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
No one has to celebrate any of these holidays if they don't want to.It's that simple.Let those who enjoy the holidays enjoy them and those that do not, don't have to participate if they don't want.I don't see how hard it is to do that?
To the perpetually offended, logic and common sense are often lost.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:03 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I want to be clear that although I am now an agnostic (former Methodist), I have always LOVED Easter, the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

However, lately, these holidays seem to be the cause of disharmony between Americans rather than occasions for both friends and strangers to just share a good time together. Every one of the holidays I listed now have some controversy attached to them, with some people saying that the 4th of July celebrates our white heritage too much, that celebrating Halloween is pagan and unChristian, that Thanksgiving is a travesty because of what the Pilgrims and others did to the natives, and that such things as community Easter Egg hunts or "Breakfast with Santa" are exclusionary (or worse) to people of other religions.

Now, I personally would not like to see those holidays entirely omitted from public notice, but reading some of the comments on some of the current and recent threads (both pro and con about any certain holiday), it makes me think that the public celebration of these holidays are causing more ill will lately than good will.

What do you think?

The controversy is created, nurtured and imposed by one particular segment of the population that is fixated on identity politics, critical theory and fomenting revolution. Namely, the Left and its assorted useful idiots.

There is no disharmony for 99.99 percent of Americans. Just for the 1 percent who want to impose their will and way on everyone else, and remake the world to suit themselves.

These people need to be ignored. Though it's hard, I know, because they want to suck all the oxygen out of any forum they infest.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 12-14-2018 at 11:26 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,262,047 times
A Henny Youngman joke (he was a comedian known as "The King of the One-Liners"):

"I used to be an atheist. I gave it up. They have no holidays."

Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,850,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
op - it sounds to me like you are paying too much attention to click bait headlines and the fringe of the population. Some people like to complain about everything, but it is a small number who have any problem with public celebration of the holidays you listed. Relax and enjoy them!
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates