U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 PM

7,678 posts, read 2,881,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
First, who really gives a damn about cultural appropriation? As Americans, we have (and do) always appropriated other cultures

Second, wasn't this you?????
There is nothing at all inconsistent in those posts. Zip. Zero. Use your brain.

Yes, I'll celebrate Christmas because it's my culture and background. No, I won't celebrate another religion's holiday because it's not mine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 08:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 5,743,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is nothing at all inconsistent in those posts. Zip. Zero. Use your brain.

Yes, I'll celebrate Christmas because it's my culture and background. No, I won't celebrate another religion's holiday because it's not mine.
We are Jewish and spend Christmas Eve at Midnight Mass with dear friends. We spend Christmas Day at the home of our oldest friends and their kids and grandkids.

They have been to our services many many times

We also celebrate with several of our Indian (Hindu) friends

While on a business trip, several of us went to church with one of our coworkers to celebrate the baptism of his daughter

Old 12-20-2018, 06:25 PM

20,134 posts, read 13,224,047 times
Surely there is nothing wrong with celebrating with another faith when you wish to honor someone. But if I were to take a special feature of another culture or faith, and add it into my celebrations, or seek to make money from it, then that would be offensive. It might be sort of like taking a revered irem or relic, and turning it into home decor.

Isn’t that what the term, cultural aporopriation means?

Old 12-21-2018, 07:59 PM

28,825 posts, read 44,198,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Surely there is nothing wrong with celebrating with another faith when you wish to honor someone. But if I were to take a special feature of another culture or faith, and add it into my celebrations, or seek to make money from it, then that would be offensive. It might be sort of like taking a revered irem or relic, and turning it into home decor.

Isn’t that what the term, cultural aporopriation means?
I have to agree with that... especially if the people buying these items couldn't explain their cultural/religious significance, let alone spell or pronounce the words.

However, I once asked an Indian co-worker how she felt about non-Indians wearing Saris, as I have always wanted one for myself! She said it would be offensive if I wore it as a costume, like for Halloween, or as an obvious joke. But if I bought one to wear for real, just because I appreciated its beauty, she said she'd personally have no issues with that. Still dreaming of one covered in purple rhinestones, but I can't really afford something like that right now.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:42 PM

406 posts, read 954,210 times
Default the dates i know of

These are the feasts/holy days/holidays that I know of that occur between the United States' Thanksgiving and Epiphany. There are probably more in other countries that I don't know about.

Nov. 22 (2018; date varies each year) Thanksgiving
Nov. 23 (2018; date varies each year) Black Friday
Nov. 24 (2018; date varies each year) Small Business Saturday
Nov. 26 (2018; date varies each year) Cyber Monday
Nov. 27 (2018; date varies each year) Giving Tuesday
Dec. 2-10 (2018; days vary each year) Hanukkah
Dec. 6 St. Nicholas Day
Dec. 7 Pearl Harbor Day
Dec. 8 Feast of the Immaculate Conception
Dec. 12 Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Dec. 13 Feast of Santa Lucia
Dec. 21 first day of winter/summer
Dec. 23 Festivus
Dec. 24 Christmas Eve
Dec. 25 Christmas
Dec. 26-Jan. 1 Kwanzaa
Dec. 26 St. Stephenís Day/Boxing Day
Dec. 28 Feast of the Holy Innocents
Dec. 31 New Yearís Eve
Jan. 1 New Yearís Day
Jan. 6 Epiphany/Twelfth Night/Twelfth Day of Christmas

The Feast of the Holy Family is the Sunday after Christmas. I donít know when Saturnalia or Yule were originally celebrated.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,425,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
OP - it sounds to me like you are paying too much attention to click bait headlines and the fringe of the population. Some people like to complain about everything, but it is a small number who have any problem with public celebration of the holidays you listed. Relax and enjoy them!
I wouldn't be to sure about that. I try to enjoy them as much as possible, but when the only thing most of your in-laws talk about when these holidays roll around is slavery and oppression, and that we're all going to hell because we're going against the bible for celebrating pagan holidays, and Jesus wan't real because the letter J wasn't invented back then it tends to cast a bit of gloom on the holiday...and they all wonder why i don't talk to them.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 AM

361 posts, read 83,792 times
All holidays are simply money generating events now. Otherwise, they have very little meaning.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:40 PM

20,044 posts, read 9,472,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
All holidays are simply money generating events now. Otherwise, they have very little meaning.
I think you need to differentiate between these two things:

Holidays in a society.
Holidays to the individual.

Memorial Day may be a day to go out and buy a mattress on sale (or some other commodity), but it is also a day when some people go and visit their father's grave site...their father being a veteran. Go down to the World War II Memorial on Veterans Day or Memorial Day. It has meaning. Go to the Viet Vets wall in D.C. on one of those days and see the flowers and messages placed in front of the wall. It has meaning. Maybe not to everyone, but to many.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 PM

361 posts, read 83,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Holidays in a society.

Memorial Day may be a day to go out and buy a mattress on sale (or some other commodity), but it is also a day when some people go and visit their father's grave site...their father being a veteran. Go down to the World War II Memorial on Veterans Day or Memorial Day. It has meaning. Go to the Viet Vets wall in D.C. on one of those days and see the flowers and messages placed in front of the wall. It has meaning. Maybe not to everyone, but to many.
That is simply marketing patriotism. Convincing someone to fight a mythical foe to keep the sociopaths in charge is criminal, but accepted. No different than a company stealing a dollar from your pocket because they can.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 AM

4,266 posts, read 3,537,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Holidays in a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
That is simply marketing patriotism. Convincing someone to fight a mythical foe to keep the sociopaths in charge is criminal, but accepted. No different than a company stealing a dollar from your pocket because they can.
Well, as an individual and with all due respect, my father and his people as well as the people of my mother back to the beginning of settling in America have fought in every war since the War of Independence and the wars which took place in the European Theatre as well as the Middle East. I honor those who have served and are still alive (one brother remaining) as well as my family of ancestors and as an aside, none of them were drafted but joined voluntarily, in every branch of the military...Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. I am proud of them and their collective contributions to America and I also acknowledge and mourn their passing. This is the holiday which has a great deal of meaning to me.

Yes there is an inclination on the part of the American government to sometimes promote the American military might but I chalk that up to it is what it is. There are also businesses who promote sales throughout the year during holidays and I participate to the extent of my religious affiliation and the Easter Bunny as well. The rest, not so much but I believe to each their own, jmho and 2 cents for this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates