Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I worked in an environment with a large percentage of Jews (observant and non-observant), Christians, Hindus and Buddhists...no Muslims at the time.
Those people chose to come here. If they didn't know what they were getting into, that's their problem.

It's not my job to bend over backwards to accommodate others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Those people chose to come here. If they didn't know what they were getting into, that's their problem.

Yes, the Irish Catholics encountered that. Lots of pleasurable reading for you there.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:04 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
[quote=gizmo980;53910504]
I mean, what would be the logical reason to REFUSE to learn your residential country's language? Do you really think that makes for an easy life? Methinks you just assume they're refusing to learn, instead of considering they're trying but struggling. And if you moved to a new country with a new language tomorrow, I bet you'd also struggle with this.

Hear, hear. We're trying to learn Spanish, but hey, at 60+ it just ain't easy! "Struggle" is the word!

Lotsa holidays here----usually another version of the Virgin, specific to each town. More parades and food vendors---what could be bad?

Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Funny you should bring this up, I was visiting my doc for a check up, at the end she said" goodbye and have a ...a....oh....erm....happy new year".My guess she was going to wish me a merry christmas but thought that would offend me, I dont know why she thought that. I had good chuckle.
She's probably had someone go ballistic on her for saying merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If we're talking superficialities, you're right. Of course, most Americans "celebrate" in superficial ways, so in that manner "it's all good."

But I doubt any Hindu would feel comfortable going through the entire observance of masses and rituals for Advent, Epiphany, et cetera.

Superficial celebration is good enough if it's all just for fun and it harms nobody. People of diverse cultures can and do enjoy a variety of other people's celebrations when it's all about being cheerful and stuffing one's face with food and having a good time, not a hard time. Celebration is all about having fun.

Mentioning Hindus attending and being uncomfortable at rituals for Advent, Epiphany, etc. is a moot point since it would never happen anyway. There's no logical reason why people of other cultures and beliefs would subject themselves to the discomforts of somebody else's joyless or serious or sacrificial fasting rituals that are meaningless for them and they simply wouldn't do it, so it's still all good.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:50 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:

Those people? You mean Americans?? I'm Jewish, and my family has been here since the 19th Century.

Also, I like how you cut their post to make it seem like "those people" cared about Christmas... but if you bothered to read the rest, no such thing was ever said. They only said the school's administration chose to be all-inclusive, just to avoid leaving out ANYONE. And how is it "bending over backwards" to simply be inclusive, or to not have a meltdown when somebody wishes you a Happy Holidays? Yet we're the ones who get accused of being snowflakes, lol.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I used to celebrate Christmas, but I do not anymore. Im not really an active christian,so imo, the 'holiday' doesnt apply to me. I see many people saying its more about the time to be with family, friends, etc. but thats not what Christmas is...its the celebration of Jesus being born into our world....if you are not Christian, its not applicable to you.

My sisters kids made a really funny comment recently when we were out shopping, she made a remark about all these stores being so religious, since they get REALLY into the 'Christmas spirit' LOL

If I were a devout Christian, I would be truly offended at how the season is 'celebrated' in the secular, retail world, the big stores are just celebrating it because it involves gifting, that is their only concern, if Christmas did not involve gifts, I doubt any store would even recognize it.
It is up to us as individuals whether or how we celebrate Christmas. I imagine how we think if this time probably reflects more about our own attitudes than anything else. A cynical person will be cynacal about it; a romantic person will feel the time as magical.

It is a good time to reflect on how you intend to give back to the world in the coming year, IMO, if nothing else.
The season is what you make it.

A secular Christmas story is A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. You might want to revisit it to get the cockles of your heart warmed.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:16 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

1. "Those people"? I have known Jews whose ancestors have been in this country for well over a century. They're not naturalized citizens...they and their parents and their grandparents were born in this country. Buddhists...do you think natural American citizens can't be Buddhists? I am, and my ancestors have been in this country for about 200 years.

2. Who has asked you to "bend over backwards"...and what exactly did that "bending over backwards" consist of.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:07 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Count me in among those calling Mircea out for that completely asinine comment. My gg-grandmother's sister was married a Jewish man from Cincinnati shortly before the Civil War. I'm embarrassed for you, Mircea. I don't always agree with you, but I typically respect your comments. That one was beneath you.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:41 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Speak for yourself.

People don't have to celebrate other holidays that aren't from their ethnic backgrounds; in some cases doing so would even be considered cultural appropriation. I would feel silly and inappropriate celebrating a Hindu holiday. It's not my place to do that.
First, who really gives a damn about cultural appropriation? As Americans, we have (and do) always appropriated other cultures

Second, wasn't this you?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's too bad because I will continue to celebrate these holidays even if it causes distress for other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates