U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:52 AM

8,429 posts, read 10,228,914 times

Advertisements

If one considers life all about human religious and philosophical choices, then the more the merrier! Why not go with Hinduism; and the choice of thousands of 'gods'?

I believe that even the staunchest atheist knows in their hear-of-hearts that there is one God! The Bible likewise declares it (Romans 1:18-20). (I've also known atheists who were simply angry at God and pouting like children over bad things in their life).

When one enters a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, one is Spiritually 'born again' in God's indwelling Holy Spirit. Their prior 'religion' (ritual, dogma, philosophy, secular humanism) - are transformed into a new, confident, growing sense of certainty, hope and faith. The uncertainty of multiple 'gods,' '..theisms' and vain human philosophies fall into the dust -- and the future becomes clear and bright.

Even if one denies the truth of God and concludes that Christians are foolish and wrong (1 Cor. 2:10-17), who lives a better, more fulfilling life? (Yes, I know, some 'Christians' seem like unloving hypocrites, etc., but, one needs to look beyond the exceptions in any area, to find truth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,074,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If one considers life all about human religious and philosophical choices, then the more the merrier! Why not go with Hinduism; and the choice of thousands of 'gods'?

I believe that even the staunchest atheist knows in their hear-of-hearts that there is one God! The Bible likewise declares it (Romans 1:18-20). (I've also known atheists who were simply angry at God and pouting like children over bad things in their life).

When one enters a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, one is Spiritually 'born again' in God's indwelling Holy Spirit. Their prior 'religion' (ritual, dogma, philosophy, secular humanism) - are transformed into a new, confident, growing sense of certainty, hope and faith. The uncertainty of multiple 'gods,' '..theisms' and vain human philosophies fall into the dust -- and the future becomes clear and bright.

Even if one denies the truth of God and concludes that Christians are foolish and wrong (1 Cor. 2:10-17), who lives a better, more fulfilling life? (Yes, I know, some 'Christians' seem like unloving hypocrites, etc., but, one needs to look beyond the exceptions in any area, to find truth).
Let me guess, you don't know much about Hinduism, right? In Hinduism there is only one Supreme and that God is called Brahma, The Creator. They do have a trinity, Brahma, the Creator, Vishnu, the Preserver and Shiva, the Destroyer. All of the other deities are worshiped as "attributes" of the Creator, Brahma, they are not separate as they are part of the whole.

Although I'm not a Christian, my beliefs are more along the line of Pantheism, meaning God is in all things and that there is no where to separate yourself from the Creator, God, Brahma, Allah it doesn't matter what you call This, for It is everywhere. The only beings that are concerned about what to call or what to believe are humans, so what does this tell you? It tells me, that this God, really doesn't care, how you worship, for all things are in Its creation.

Old Today, 06:49 AM

4,204 posts, read 3,314,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There is a theory of power which could be called pluralism. In the American vernacular this could also be referred to as "separation of powers" and in more formal systems as "checks and balances". This theory is that the best political systems have plural power centers in which competing actors try to balance each other. The advantage for the "little guy" (which is why these systems are best) is that the little guy can change allegiances to the various power centers and play them off each other.

The extreme alternative is monarchy, literally rule by one. Monarchies are not good governing systems because there is no other force to balance the monarch, so power is abused. Monarchies are not good for the little guy, and given enough time they aren't good for anyone except those in the ruling clique. Since there is no competing power center, the oppressed must confront the monarch head on to change their situation, which is very difficult given that the monarch has immense wealth and power at his disposal.

Which leads me to polytheism and monotheism. Polytheism is a plural system of divinity, while monotheism is a singular system of divinity. We can debate ad nauseum about what the "truth" is regarding god or the gods, but after thousands of years that hasn't seemed to have gotten us anywhere. Instead I would take empiricism and humanism as my cues, and their attendant theological directive (which I am consciously flipping from the more known version) that "as below, so above". In other words, what theological system is best for humans?

There are atheists who think this theological stuff is nonsense, which is a reasonable position to take. In this case, polytheism and monotheism could be re-termed cosmopolitanism and totalitarianism if you please. The dynamic between the two, and the power relations that spring from those two models, are the same as far as the "little guy" is concerned.

Given our experience with Catholic Christianity, which during the middle ages was an oppressive totalitarian force, and modern day political Islam, which is an oppressive totalitarian force, and other unipolar quasi-religions such as Confucianism (mandate of heaven) and communism (all power with the party), are we ready to associate monotheism with eventual totalitarianism? I am, and the prospect of any single religion/philosophy/ideology becoming universally accepted is terrifying to me.
Billions of folks have died believing that they were going to their heaven. Regardless of who or where or why that heaven exists.
I dont feel it necessary to take the fundamental beliefs out of religion. Religion is just finding folks to which you are like minded and forming a belief. There's many religions, some more accepted than others.. To each their own.
I suggest we dont try to change folks's beliefs or religions but change the moderation of those beliefs. Stop telling people that they have to do things 100% orthodox or they wont go to heaven. This is how extremism corrupts the system.
Instead we should teach that no matter your beliefs, its ok, and others beliefs are ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates