U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:36 PM

13,542 posts, read 14,214,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Several years back I read a series of articles written by women/couples who had gone through late term abortions. I think this was back when people were first becoming aware in mass. The emotional pain and they went through finding out their child would have such abnormalities that its short live would be nothing but suffering and making that devastating decision. It was heart wrenching to read.
It is a horror to experience. We have a poster here on CD that will occasionally post her story about her late term abortion. Such personal tragedy should not involve anyone other than family and the doctors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:44 PM

5,831 posts, read 3,585,504 times
Quote:
Have you ever given birth? Your example makes no sense. If one wants to end a pregnancy and abortion is available why would anyone go thru the risks and expense and pain of an induced labor and premature birth?
Yes. I have personally given birth to three children. And for the life of me I cannot wrap my head around why it is OK to abort one week and not OK the next week.

If a pregnant woman learns late in the pregnancy that her child has severe deformities and decides to terminate, everyone weeps over her having to make such a difficult but ultimately noble choice in ending the suffering of the fetus.

But if the baby is born with heretofore undiscovered severe deformities and the woman smothers it five minutes later, she is a monster.

Old Today, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes. I have personally given birth to three children. And for the life of me I cannot wrap my head around why it is OK to abort one week and not OK the next week.

If a pregnant woman learns late in the pregnancy that her child has severe deformities and decides to terminate, everyone weeps over her having to make such a difficult but ultimately noble choice in ending the suffering of the fetus.

But if the baby is born with heretofore undiscovered severe deformities and the woman smothers it five minutes later, she is a monster.
In utero and out of utero is all you have to wrap your head around. One is an abortion where a woman still has autonomy over her own body and medical decisions. The other is Infanticide. Which is illegal

Old Today, 04:53 PM

2,110 posts, read 756,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
A fertilized human embryo is a complete human being.

No. It is genetically complete, not developmentally complete-- physically or psychologically. If we're going to use genetics as our criterion for definition, then every unfertilized egg or sperm cell is human. Should a man be condemned because not every single one of his 10^7 sperm didn't fertilize an egg on each ejaculation, or a woman put in jail because she ever went a month without getting pregnant? It won't be long before technology will be able to turn a single sperm or single egg into a baby....And that gangrenous leg just removed by a surgeon--genetically complete and each cell is technologically capable of producing another human being. Is the surgeon a murderer?

[quote=saibot;54177061]

The question is what is moral or immoral. \ quote]

That won't do , either. In aboriginal societies, it was immoral to allow a deformed newborn to survive. "Morality" is dependent on the society & the times. "O! Tempora! O! Mores!"-- Marcus Tullius Cicero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A fetus can inherit. A fetus can be murdered, and I mean like a bullet to the belly not abortion. .

An example of inconsistencies in the thinking behind our (artificial) laws that allows the fetus to be human in some cases and not in others.

Quote:
Several years back I read a series of articles written by women/couples who had gone through late term abortions..

Anecdotal BS. The psychiatric literature is chock full of studies showing that women who have turned to abortion have very few long term psychological problems as a result, while woman who avoided abortion when it was an option had many psych problems with having given their babies up to adoption, or worse, kept an unwanted baby and then both mother and child wound up in a sorry state. Have you ever visited a prison? Those guys usually don't come from happy families.

Old Today, 05:10 PM

[quote=guidoLaMoto;54186680]No. It is genetically complete, not developmentally complete-- physically or psychologically. If we're going to use genetics as our criterion for definition, then every unfertilized egg or sperm cell is human. Should a man be condemned because not every single one of his 10^7 sperm didn't fertilize an egg on each ejaculation, or a woman put in jail because she ever went a month without getting pregnant? It won't be long before technology will be able to turn a single sperm or single egg into a baby....And that gangrenous leg just removed by a surgeon--genetically complete and each cell is technologically capable of producing another human being. Is the surgeon a murderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

The question is what is moral or immoral. \ quote]

That won't do , either. In aboriginal societies, it was immoral to allow a deformed newborn to survive. "Morality" is dependent on the society & the times. "O! Tempora! O! Mores!"-- Marcus Tullius Cicero.

An example of inconsistencies in the thinking behind our (artificial) laws that allows the fetus to be human in some cases and not in others.

Anecdotal BS. The psychiatric literature is chock full of studies showing that women who have turned to abortion have very few long term psychological problems as a result, while woman who avoided abortion when it was an option had many psych problems with having given their babies up to adoption, or worse, kept an unwanted baby and then both mother and child wound up in a sorry state. Have you ever visited a prison? Those guys usually don't come from happy families.
Yes morality is subjective. Anecdotal bs? More woman have no regrets from their abortion. Do some regrets? Sure. You don’t get through life without regrets.

Pretty heartless to claim anecdotal bs on women telling their stories of late term abortion.

Prison is full of children born to woman and men who should never be parents. You rather a drug addicted prostitute give birth to an unwanted baby? They make the best moms and set great examples, abortion isn’t always the worst thing to happen b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates