U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:57 AM

3,581 posts, read 1,158,873 times

Advertisements

Bidets are a really great tool for keeping clean, much more so than just toilet paper alone in my opinion.

When you use toilet paper alone, it's just not near as clean, even the feeling is not, compared to a bidet.

But for some reason North American countries, have chosen to adapt it, even though the US for example, you would think could afford them even more than some of the countries in the world that have them in many more homes and facilities.

So why is North American against the idea or not open to it, it seems?

Old Today, 05:16 AM

27,191 posts, read 59,064,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So why is North American against the idea ...?
Lack of familiarity with their use, the additional cost involved, the additional space required. How's that?

Old Today, 07:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 306,961 times
OP, has there been masses of people preventing you from buying, installing and using a bidet?
Are there no retailers willing to sell you one?

If not, then your assertion that North Americans are AGAINST them is absurd.

Just because they're not commonly used does not mean the people are against them.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,972,238 times
I agree that I find it odd that bidets are not a common occurrence in the U.S. I occasionally see one in newer higher end homes but most new homes being built today still don't offer them as a standard feature. No idea why.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

19,746 posts, read 13,011,951 times
This is a Great Debate topic?

Old Today, 10:56 AM

3,794 posts, read 4,424,575 times
The answer is simple, and has already been presented. Lack of historical presence (familiarity), lack of space in most homes, and certainly the cost involved. Purchase, installation, and maintenance. More pennies than a lot of Americans can afford for something ultimately frivolous.

It's much easier to buy wet wipes, but for the love of God don't flush them. I don't care what the package says, it's lying to you.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

627 posts, read 285,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Bidets are a really great tool for keeping clean, much more so than just toilet paper alone in my opinion.

When you use toilet paper alone, it's just not near as clean, even the feeling is not, compared to a bidet.

But for some reason North American countries, have chosen to adapt it, even though the US for example, you would think could afford them even more than some of the countries in the world that have them in many more homes and facilities.

So why is North American against the idea or not open to it, it seems?
Not that NA Countries are against it, it just never caught on here (yet) for some reason.

You can purchase a toilet seat bidet that gives you the full bidet option when desired. You can find them on Amazon and one of my family members purchased this and he loves it. He purchased it after being on vacation in Italy for a few weeks. You will need to get an electric outlet (line) installed near the toilet where this will be installed.

Old Today, 11:07 AM

5,907 posts, read 3,869,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The answer is simple, and has already been presented. Lack of historical presence (familiarity), lack of space in most homes, and certainly the cost involved. Purchase, installation, and maintenance. More pennies than a lot of Americans can afford for something ultimately frivolous.

It's much easier to buy wet wipes, but for the love of God don't flush them. I don't care what the package says, it's lying to you.
We are retired and don’t have to deal with diapers. Why would we not flush the wet wipes? We would have to deal with the smell in some other way which would not be healthy. Using the wet wipes helps keep the roids at bay. Only use one at finish anyway.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

1,105 posts, read 479,681 times
It’s an interesting question I always like to ask, we can just as easily buy a bidet just like those other places where they are common, and they are surely a nice feature to have, much cleaner and less wasteful compared to using toilet paper and wet wipes, and reduces toilet clogs though for some reason it hasn’t caught on.
Though like Genkans, it appears this concept has not caught on that much outside of Korea and Japan. I wish more high ended international hotels have them though. But it appears they are rare even in 4-5 stars in most places.

Though it appears in NA it’s not so different from mini split reverse cycle a/cs or tankless water heaters, that are very nice to have except for their price tags.
Interesting how while we embraced the high efficiency central split a/c for newer single family homes/town homes and newer high ended apartments/condos but those without these are stuck with primitive “resistive” space heaters and wall/window cool only air conditioners,

Old Today, 11:58 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,504,353 times
For every No way, their is a butt unique to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates