U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:37 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,473,906 times

Advertisements

Given that men have about a fourfold higher propensity to initiate violence, if the world leadership were 50% women and 50% men rather than being majority-male, it seems there should be fewer wars, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 AM

27,379 posts, read 59,342,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How many fewer wars would we have if 50% of world leaders were women?
Not many.

HOW those wars are run would likely be different
...but the underlying causes wouldn't be changed one whit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRbyTC
War is the ultimate criminal act, an armed robbery writ large.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,196,814 times
hahaha... ever been in a corporate environment with a few women? Put 5 women together for a while and see how things go.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM

4,318 posts, read 1,687,577 times
I'm not sure it would lead to less wars. And I'd agree with the post directly above.

Having more women though would probably help in other ways, so improvement in some areas.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:11 PM

431 posts, read 172,800 times
It's funny how often we hear about how women can do anything men can do, and do it better, but they have some sort of "morality clause" which we're to assume that women only do *good* things.

There's a graphic novel titled "Y: The Last Man" and it's very well written and drawn. It's story catalyst is an unknown plague that kills off every human male except for one American, Yorick Brown, and the male astronauts who happened to be aboard the international space station when the plague hits.

Some of the well explored themes in the story are about how society would adapt and change (some for the better, some for the worst) with the absence of men in the world.

One of the things touched upon was how dependent the world was on the labor of men to keep society's infrastructure going, to keep electricity and the lights on, to move the food and goods, to provide security and safety... it showed how much was taken for granted.

One thing the story touched upon that I support was how vital it was that there *BE* female firefighters, submariners, doctors, etc. Diversification is mostly a good thing, I believe, with the exception of cohesive combat arms units... but I am prepared to eat crow if the latest mixed gender combat unit experiments succeed.

More women in power? Sure, if they're qualified and hold good backgrounds. More women in power just to have women in power? Nah. If you want 50% of the world's leaders to be women, I want 50% of the world's soldiers to be women as well. Perhaps the though of sending daughters off to war would sway minds who think of men to be so disposable.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,877,127 times
Boudica, the first Queen Elizabeth, Maria Teresa, Catherine the Great. To cover before the time most of us were born.

Then there's Margaret Thatcher (Falklands War, approved of sending troops to Saudi Arabia in the first Persian Gulf War).

And do I even have to bring up women who see their children threatened? Same essential principle, only extended to non-family members.

Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

498 posts, read 420,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Boudica, the first Queen Elizabeth, Maria Teresa, Catherine the Great. To cover before the time most of us were born.

Then there's Margaret Thatcher (Falklands War, approved of sending troops to Saudi Arabia in the first Persian Gulf War).
These historical examples and others are of women coming into power in a world dominated overwhelmingly by violent male leaders and driven by male nature. They were forced to react to the state of affairs that existed before they came into power and which was sustained by males that drove the world around them.

A world where a full 50% of heads of state, senior diplomats and military heads are women, for an exteneded period of time, is one in which I think female nature would begin to shape the norms, relations and order of things in international relations. Which would result in a significant reduction in interstate violence.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

4,017 posts, read 2,225,997 times
I'm not sure the # of wars matters but the size and impact that they do have. WW1 & 2 were more impactful than almost all other wars added together for the past 250 years.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,132,313 times
I donít know, but honestly it would be great to find out.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

4,008 posts, read 3,989,380 times
I don't know where the idea that women are these benevolent creatures came from but it's getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or