Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times

Advertisements

USA covers a large geographic area with states and regions the size of many nations. I believe that individual states and regions of the USA do have a unique culture but the general national culture is based on similarities but not uniformity. In northern New Mexico people descended from Spanish settlers and their Indian wives and have lived there and spoke Spanish since the 1600s. In rural Eastern Kentucky almost everyone descends from the original British settlers of the USA and has been there speaking English and attending Protestant churches since the 1700s. In northern Vermont many people are of French Canadian ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
These questions are a result of another P&OC thread about Tom Brokaw's comment that Hispanics should work harder at assimilation. In reading the 17 or so pages of posts on that thread, I have seen no responses so far that directly answered this.

From what I have read, in the past, people viewed the majority of Americans as people who:

- City dwellers were loud, brash,and "pushy"; and rural people were uneducated "hicks"
- Worked hard to get ahead and had a "can do" attitude about almost everything
- Valued material success more than almost anything else, except possibly immediate family
- Had little respect for titles or inherited wealth, but they also had contempt for the very poor
- Were English-speaking, white, and Christian
- Were very patriotic and proud about settling a new country, rebelling against England, and then creating a new "free and equal" country for all white men

Then, starting in the 50's, I think that American culture became synonymous with the youth culture of that time -- blue jeans, rock and roll, and flagrant sexuality. (In short, very liberal and rebellious of traditional and conservative values).

Again, I am not saying that any of the above is necessarily true, but is just what I have gathered from my reading.

However, now in the 21st century, I don't believe that there is any truly and uniquely "American culture" at all, and that is why I think no one could could provide an answer as to what it is. Can you?
American culture is anybody in the countries on the continent of America: Canadians, US Citizens, Mexicans, etc. Within each of those countries, people speak many languages and dialects. What's changed is our definitions. As an example, it used to be Hispanics were from Spain, now they include Latinos (thanks Nixon). People from the European continent and African continent, view the American culture similar to theirs: many countries with different languages and dialects. So basically, the USA was never unique to begin with.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I think we should be specific about what type of American culture. I am curious as what type of dances, art styles, and music are de facto White American. That is, the earliest version of those practices were done by White Americans.
New England Contra dancing and all forms of Square dancing (New England, Southern and Modern Western) may be based on English or French dancing forms, but they developed in the United States. The reason school kids at one time were learning square dancing in school was because it was nationally mandated; this dance was considered to be part of our national cultural identity.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:17 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
I think Texas has it.

In my opinion no other place in the union has had more success creating a unified culture across ethnic lines than that state has. No where else do you see Blacks, Whites, Hispanics and even some Asians more or less leading the same lives. Eating the same food, having the same religion, same lifestyles, etc.

It's still mostly a salad bowl like the rest of the US, but I don't think there is a more culturally homogenous state.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I think Texas has it.

In my opinion no other place in the union has had more success creating a unified culture across ethnic lines than that state has. No where else do you see Blacks, Whites, Hispanics and even some Asians more or less leading the same lives. Eating the same food, having the same religion, same lifestyles, etc.

It's still mostly a salad bowl like the rest of the US, but I don't think there is a more culturally homogenous state.
Except not all of us are like you and we are still Americans. Where I live only 20% of the population owns a gun. We don't want guns. We are a very safe state. Yours is a Texas culture.

We eat fish and lobster up here. We have various religions and no religion--and no once cares because we are live and let live. (Do whatever you want as long as it doesn't impinge on my rights.)

I think most of America has a strong work ethic, we value education, we want to feel like a unified country, we have pride in our past, and, as someone already said, our past is different depending upon what area of the country we're talking about. Pilgrims here and French Canadians in northern Vermont. There are many different heritages--we can't honor them all. We need something that's just plain American.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I think Texas has it.

Have you asked the Blacks, Latinos, and Asians about their own Texas experience?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Except not all of us are like you and we are still Americans. Where I live only 20% of the population owns a gun. We don't want guns. We are a very safe state. Yours is a Texas culture.

We eat fish and lobster up here. We have various religions and no religion--and no once cares because we are live and let live. (Do whatever you want as long as it doesn't impinge on my rights.)

I think most of America has a strong work ethic, we value education, we want to feel like a unified country, we have pride in our past, and, as someone already said, our past is different depending upon what area of the country we're talking about. Pilgrims here and French Canadians in northern Vermont. There are many different heritages--we can't honor them all. We need something that's just plain American.
I understand but I think the extremely diverse population as well as the central location has sort of created a de facto "plain American" culture in TX. Throughout its existence people have continued to move to the state from all over the country and as a result, every type of American seems to be represented here. Lots of seafood eaters in TX, as well as irreligious people and those that are vehemently anti-gun, etc

It's no secret that nothing divides America as much as race and ethnicity, but if our country is becoming more of a melting pot, I think TX is nearly the center of that swirl.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have you asked the Blacks, Latinos, and Asians about their own Texas experience?
I'm black and I grew up in Texas.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:05 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
This thread reminds me of the British gag about, what’s the difference between a pot of yoghurt, and Australia?
Left long enough, the yoghurt will develop a culture.
It’s just a joke Aussies, we love you really, you’re among the first that we invite to join in all our wars.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
This thread reminds me of the British gag about, what’s the difference between a pot of yoghurt, and Australia?
Left long enough, the yoghurt will develop a culture.
It’s just a joke Aussies, we love you really, you’re among the first that we invite to join in all our wars.
Very funny! I always think of Paul Theroux's comment that the Australian book of etiquette is a very slim book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates