U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM

380 posts, read 262,992 times

Advertisements

I notice cultures and accents across the world and usa are disappearing. Cultures and accents are a good thing and make us unique to one another. We should be trying to preserve our cultures and accents and be proud of who we are and where we are from instead of getting rid of all of it! It's ever more important with the media and social media to remember this! Don't let creativity die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

20,046 posts, read 9,472,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I notice cultures and accents across the world and usa are disappearing. Cultures and accents are a good thing and make us unique to one another. We should be trying to preserve our cultures and accents and be proud of who we are and where we are from instead of getting rid of all of it! It's ever more important with the media and social media to remember this! Don't let creativity die!
I think it depends on why accents and cultures within the United States are disappearing. And the answer is -- the media. And I don't mean that in a blaming way. Most people don't like (for example) a Georgia cracker. So that is rarely portrayed is films and on television. Therefore, as people move around more in where they live, the accent is fading. Same with food and other aspects of culture.

If it were some insidious plot, that would be different.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

10,189 posts, read 7,819,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Which accents are disappearing?

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

4,415 posts, read 1,725,183 times
I also don't see accents disappearing. That's just an assumption and unfounded premise being thrown out with no proof.

Regardless, I can see the value in preserving culture, but not accents.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,091,630 times
Not clear if accents have any bearing whatsoever on culture. We did have regional accents particularly in the South and the Northeast. And up into the 40ís people in the upper social and economic classes affected what was called the Mid Atlantic accent.

If you watch some of the old 30ís movies youíll hear the old Mid Atlantic accent which sounds almost British upper class. Mass media has nearly erased most of the old regional accents. Regional culture still exists through history, music, food, the arts and many other things.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

8,022 posts, read 3,173,161 times
I think accents are disappearing because we are a fluid culture, moving about the country. Language is in flux, so you get people moving around and adopting kind of watered down accents.

I will say, I went crabbing in Louisiana a few years ago and spent the day among cajuns, and I couldn't understand a thing they said.

Separated by a common language. ;D

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,472,811 times
Some people are ashamed of their accents. Especially actors.

That's not a fair shame to reinforce but Hollywood did it.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

2,221 posts, read 523,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Some people are ashamed of their accents. Especially actors.

That's not a fair shame to reinforce but Hollywood did it.
Listen to Hollywood actors or presidential speeches from the 1940s, and then today. They had a "cadence", I don't know if I'd call it an accent, when addressing audiences. This has disappeared.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

984 posts, read 348,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Listen to Hollywood actors or presidential speeches from the 1940s, and then today. They had a "cadence", I don't know if I'd call it an accent, when addressing audiences. This has disappeared.
Some of it was aquired by purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpv_IkO_ZBU

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

1,759 posts, read 636,895 times
the absence of an accent is an accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or