Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Back during the summer or so when I was still on night shift, I had arrived at work at about 0200 and saw one of our police patrols up the hill....and he saw me. In the time it took for the patroller to come down the hill, I had dug my ID out of my neck wallet and was standing with it up by my face and was greeting the officer. He identified me, thanked me for showing my ID the way I did, and went on his way.

Why? Because in digging my ID out of my neck wallet, it was a process where both my hands were always visible. Now, carrying my work ID in a neck wallet has been something I've done since the 90s, partially because back then I biked in and partially because I worked nights. It was that if I ran into law enforcement, I wanted to be able to quickly and easily show ID.

To say nothing that if I was knocked off my bike and knocked out, someone might snatch my hip pack but less likely to end up with the neck wallet.

People seem to operate by two myths. The first is that it will never happen to me. The second seems to be "That because I am not a threat, no one will take me as a threat.". Neither which I operate by, even if someone has dropped something out of their cart on the way to their car. I pick it up but hold off at stand off distance till I am sure I can have their attention as I announce myself and ask for permission to approach.

So think about how you might appear to the other person and take the first moves to put them at ease.
The US Police are routinely armed for good reason, as there are lots of guns in the US when compared to other countries.

In terms of showing ID, don't they have to suspect you of something before demanding your identity.

That's how it works in the UK, however the police in the UK have more powers in relation to public order, and will arrest you if you are abusive and use foul language in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 AM

To demonstrate just how stupid and petty the UK Police can be, a man called Rob Warner runs a youtube channel called Crimebodge, about the police.

Last year he went to pick his daughter up from school, and she wasn't there, so a policeman turned up, and said "I can see that you're angry", to which he replied "No s*** I'm angry".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun

Mr Warner, 45, said "I was beside myself with worry" when he went to pick up his little girl from school but could not find her anywhere.

He was becoming annoyed with teachers for not keeping track of his child's whereabouts when an officer "turned up out of nowhere" and tried to calm him down.

The copper told the dad "I can see that you're angry", to which he replied "No s*** I'm angry".

Moment armed police with battering rams arrest dad for saying 'no sh*t' - The Sun

Armed police turn up at frustrated father's door with battering rams and arrest him 'after he said 'no s**t' to an officer in angry school gate row over his daughter' - Daily Mail

'I was arrested by armed police for saying 'no s**t' to a cop - Derby Telegraph
Three weeks later the policeman turned up at his door demanding he attend a voluntary interview in relation to a public order offence for saying "No s*** I'm angry", to which he refused.

Mr Warner refused so the police sent a summons, and then armed police turned up at his door with a battering ram before arresting him and he was put before the local magistrates court.

Luckily he videoed the whole thing, and is now suing the police, but it just goes to show how petty and stupid the police can be.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-16-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 09:01 PM

574 posts, read 382,241 times
Tasers and rubber bullets can be lethal, so why they’re called that I have no idea.. it’s dishonest. While I am skeptical of police and most of their actions, I’d like to see the numbers on them drawing their firearms vs not

Old 02-16-2019, 11:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US Police are routinely armed for good reason, as there are lots of guns in the US when compared to other countries.

In terms of showing ID, don't they have to suspect you of something before demanding your identity.

That's how it works in the UK, however the police in the UK have more powers in relation to public order, and will arrest you if you are abusive and use foul language in public.
That is not the case in the US, someone can definitely refuse to give an officer their name or show ID, police can only demand it if you are suspected of something, or you are being detained.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is not the case in the US, someone can definitely refuse to give an officer their name or show ID, police can only demand it if you are suspected of something, or you are being detained.
You don't have to show them identity in the UK if you are on foot unless they have a reason to believe you have or are about to commit a crime.

However if they stop you in a vehicle under the Road Traffic Act you have to provide your details.

They also have a lot of powers in relation to public order, so swearing at the police in the UK or acting in a threatening manner is just going to get you arrested.

Although they aren't usually as petty, as in the videos I posted above, however they seem to have it in for that bloke because he runs a youtube site which is critical of the police, and which they don't seem to like.

It also should be noted that the internet and social media is classed as public space in the UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-17-2019 at 04:35 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
In any event, I willing show mine right off the bat. It's just my nature, probably from my time in Controlled Industrial Areas, a USN shipyard.

In the case of late at night, we are all part of the same organization (but they are still police officers); not to do so could potentially cost me my job.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In any event, I willing show mine right off the bat. It's just my nature, probably from my time in Controlled Industrial Areas, a USN shipyard.

In the case of late at night, we are all part of the same organization (but they are still police officers); not to do so could potentially cost me my job.
I also spent my military life in areas where a passing guard would put your nose to the wall if your secured area badge was turned over or in your pocket.

I still say it's out of line for someone under zero suspicion of any crime to get tossed into the back of a police car for saying, "My cousin is a cop."

It's still out of line for a police officer to handcuff and detain a pre-teen boy he saw holding what he knew was a bb gun--and the boy wasn't even shooting it rather than simply stopping and giving the boy a lecture.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I still say it's out of line for someone under zero suspicion of any crime to get tossed into the back of a police car for saying, "My cousin is a cop."

It's still out of line for a police officer to handcuff and detain a pre-teen boy he saw holding what he knew was a bb gun--and the boy wasn't even shooting it rather than simply stopping and giving the boy a lecture.
In both of those you are only hearing one side of the situation.

In the situation where the dad was upset and says he was hauled in for saying
"no S*** I'm angry". How can people read that story at face value and not wonder why the cops showed up
in the first place. The guy was probably so intimidating and angry that the cops were called.
People leave out the part of the stories that make them look bad.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What do you think I did? I'm a military senior non-commissioned officer, I've just called the police as a victim of a hit-and-run, I'm standing there making small talk about my cousin also being a cop...

...what do you think I did?
I didn't accused you of anything. Although, the fact that you're quite defensive about this, kinda gives me a clue. I just have a hard believing that you were casually talking about how your cousin is a cop and then all of a sudden you were placed in handcuffs. No offense, but this is the internet. Everybody thinks they're right and everybody is an expert. Your claim about being in the military and cops placing you in handcuffs for saying that your cousin is a cop has about as weight as me claiming to be a Navy SEAL with 50 confirmed kills to my name.

Quote:
It certainly did not require handcuffing and detaining. That's not what's necessary for a little kid playing with a bb gun.
Like i said, I need to see video before I place judgement.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Over a thousand Americans have been killed by tasers, and taser deaths are ongoing at a rate on one a week. I don't think I want more of them in the hands of poorly-trained people who think they are non-lethal.

Police kill a thousand people a year in the US. How many of those are by officers who would actually be at risk of being killed if they did not shoot to kill in self defense?
Why don't we hear of these cases more often? Do you have a link to support your claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates