Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As archeology and anthropology are proving, the Dark Ages weren't really dark. Essentially, everyone was wrong. The whole King Arthur myth has been debunked. Angles and Saxons did come to Britain, but as immigrants, not invaders or conquerors. Absolutely no evidence of any battles. The evidence shows British tribes and the Angles and Saxons living side-by-side, and more than that, commingling and inter-marrying, adopting some of each other's customs.

Tintagel where King Arthur is claimed to lived was an extraordinarily wealthy society. They drank wine and not just wine, but several varieties of wine, including wine made in Britain -- yes, because of climate change the climate was warm enough to grow wine in Britain and the Romans prized wine imported from Britain, but it's too cold now -- and they drank their wine in glass made in Greece and Rome and had olive oil in pottery jars made in Turkey and Persia.

So, ships continued to sail from the Mediterranean to Britain. Why? Because there was a giant tin mine near Tintagel. In fact, Tintagel might actually mean tin mine in some corrupted language. Tin is scarce in the Mediterranean Region, and you need tin to alloy with copper to make bronze, and weapons, armor and shields were made of bronze, and it was used for other things, too.

That's actually the picture shaping up, thanks to advances in archeology like ground-penetrating radar that can detect the remnants of housing and other structures buried underground by several meters of earth.

It's been dead for decades, so it's not like it just suddenly died.

Admittedly, that's a problem, but it's self-inflicted.

You're not obligated to patronize any of those sources for news.

If you patronize those sources, then you're part of the problem.

You have the internet, so you have no excuse. I recommend Adevaratul (The Truth). I realize you don't speak Romanian, but Google will translate the pages for you, just like Google will translate Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian, German and French news sources.

Some publications are in English. Der Speigel is.

So, you have no excuse, other than laziness, and it's hypocritical to complain while patronizing the same sources you decry.

There are counter-technologies to bar or mitigate that.

The implementation of AI and automation will be so incredibly slow, that you won't even notice it.

And, it creates jobs, not kills them.

A robot-welder does replace a human welder, but it also creates 1.3 jobs, so you didn't lose a job and for every three robot-welders you install, you create jobs.

Most people's understanding of AI is on a par with a small rock.

AI requires human interface.

How little you all know.

AI doesn't replace humans, it complements them.

Well, you can thank Liberals for that, but it's nothing a civil war wouldn't solve.

There's no danger of nuclear war, but if the US continues to be the ass-clown of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if it is secretly decided to off the US by detonating three well-placed 450 kt nuclear warheads about 85 miles above the Earth's surface.

That wouldn't kill any Americans. At least not directly.

However, you will know personally the Dark Ages.

Your electrical grid, your telecommunications grid and most of your electronics will be rendered useless from the electromagnetic pulse.

In the first six months, 300 Million Americans will die of starvation, dehydration, illness, disease, accident, injury, misadventure, hypothermia, violence or by their own hand.

Your food supply will be gone in two weeks. You'll have to forage for food, and such a strike is likely to occur in October/November, so there won't be any food to forage until late Spring 6-8 months later.

Your water supply will be gone in 30 days. Once water treatment plants stop working, all your water is teeming with bacteria, and in particular, Typhus, Cholera and Dysentery.

Even with well-water, there's a risk of contamination, unless you cremate the bodies of Typhoid victims, like the NAZIs did.

If you don't, Typhus will leach into the ground-water and even into aquifers, your well gets contaminated, you get Typhus and die.

Your medications will be gone in 30 days, too.

The rest of the world can't help you.

All the cargo aircraft on Earth can only feed 6-8 Million people for 3-7 days.

That's assuming you can rig a system to siphon aviation fuel from the tank farms and get it to the aircraft.

Once the aviation fuel is gone, and it will be gone in 3-7 days, no more aircraft will be landing in the US.

Commercial cargo aircraft are not capable of air-drops, and they're not capable of in-flight refueling.

You don't have enough aerial tankers in the world to refuel what few military cargo aircraft you have, and they could only feed 1-3 Million people, albeit indefinitely in theory.

Ships can't help.

Your ports are very busy and if a ship could find an open slip, and if the captain is so skilled he can dock the ship without the use of tug boats, and if you can rig a siphon system to refuel the ships with diesel oil, then that would be a miracle.

But, short-lived.

Without electricity, the cranes don't work, and their electronics are damaged, so you cannot off-load the cargo containers of food.

So, yes, the few Million Americans who survive will be in a Dark Age and the Stone Age for about a century.

Why would income catch up?

Do you not understand Economics?

Wages rise when there's Monetary Inflation or Wage Inflation.

You currently have neither. Well, you have a bit of Monetary Inflation, about 0.4%.

Wages are not supposed to rise when there's Cost-push Inflation or Demand-pull Inflation.

Cost-push Inflation is 100% you.

You elected the idiots who levied the taxes, laws, regulations and ordinances that drive up the prices of goods and services, and then you have the unmitigated gall to think that you should get a pay raise?

Wrong answer.

You voted for the property tax increase, and now you have to pay more in taxes and have less money to buy other things, and you think you deserve a pay raise?

Wrong answer. That's not how it works.

Demand-pull Inflation is 100% you, too.

The function, the purpose, the raison d'être of Demand-pull Inflation is to prevent the depletion, over-use or over-consumption of resources, goods and services.

Demand-pull Inflation occurs when Demand for any good or service exceeds the Supply of that good or service.

Prices rise.

Prices rise to protect, to conserve, to preserve and prevent the depletion, over-use or over-consumption.

You have three choices:

1) Stop consuming like a freaking locust; or
2) Seek cheaper substitutes; or
3) Increase Supply to match or exceed Demand

That's all you, baby.

If you cannot afford things, that's great.

That means the inviolable Laws of Economics are working as they should.

Why should you get a pay raise?

What right entitles you to consume like a locust and deplete, over-use or over-consume resources, goods and services?

By what logic should you get a pay raise and continue to deplete, over-use or over-consume like a locust?

Explain that, because inquiring minds want to know.

Could be.. But If we burn I really think the rest of world burns as well!Every US military unit that can, will head for home, any way they can.By force if necessary. Once we're out, China and Russia will be at each others throats to fill the void we leave. India or Pakistan will be off the leash as well as Israel. If the US is not there to hold anyone back it won't be long before somebody gets rocked....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 11:35 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
A lot of the systems are in need of repair. Not sure how long many of them will sustain themselves. I doubt our economy is as robust as presented, health care getting out of reach for many, owning a home, student debt, the environment, fill in the blank. Just don't remember a time like this. Denial, too. Wait till the problems cause a system break and then who knows?

Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Quote:
It seems that every other resume I see mentions someone being "at the top of their class" - is everyone an "A" student now?
Must be. Those are the résumés that I usually throw straight in the garbage can!

Last edited by Ttark; 04-18-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
It does feel like we are living in a 21st century version of Feudalism. Debt has made wage slaves of the majority of the American middle and working class.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
a few years ago a well known and respected writer said: "If someone could step from 1940 New York into New York today he would be shocked and horrified. It would be like a futuristic nightmare come true."

The author might have been Russell Baker but I can't remember for sure.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
The world s collapsing. we're all fixing to die. one day earth will be destroyed and replaced with a new earth in the afterlife where we'll spend eternity.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:42 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I'm sure lots of people think I'm speaking like an alarmist but I can't stop thinking about this. As far as I'm concerned, it's likely that society is entering a new Dark Ages because of a combination of a culture that tries to brainwash people and the progress of technology. What is a way we prove this wrong?
  • Entertainment and pop culture hitting a dead-end
  • Media is concentrated by only 5 large companies and blinding people away from the truth
  • Advanced technology allowing spying and invading privacy, and potentially threatening mass job losses
  • Men are no longer men and women are no longer women
  • Nuclear war (or even more deadly advanced weapons) is potentially a looming threat again
  • Living is harder because everything is way more expensive and income hasn't quite caught up

Admittedly it is little Western-centric, but I don't doubt it can apply to the non-West. The West is just what I happen to be more familiar with.
A lot you mentioned are certainly negatives. My personal big concern is the lack of concern and care of our environment. The water, the air, the oceans. We're polluting them at an ever-increasing rate.

Imho, this factor will lead to a true Dark Ages. We live on one small planet. Once it's trashed, we're goners.

A recent survey found the USA is one of the unhappiest places on Earth. Our quest for money and power leaves so many left out and angry. Well-paying factory jobs have been moved overseas. There's a sense of hopelessness and powerless. Hence, more murders, addiction and angst. Our sense of caring community has been ruptured.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I think you forget a big one, the growing number of people who seem to be anti-science, whether they are anti-vaxxers or climate change deniers.

That said, I wouldn't say we are entering a dark age. Information is a widely available as it has ever been, and in Western societies people are obtaining higher educational levels than they ever have in the past.
THIS.

Religion, Dogma and the spreading of anti-science and conspiracy BS online.

In the big picture I look at it like this. Monkeys (us) are not naturally equipped to handle TMI. Yet it is here. All these problems are the result of being fed more than we can stomach.

There is a good chance that we will evolve to be able to integrate all of this and then all will be (relatively) well...or better.

This has happened with many technologies. Look at cars - who would have thought that regular people - maybe many with bad vision and reaction times, would drive down the highway at 70 MPH mere inches from one another....

There is no way we humans were naturally adapted to that. But we became so with a combo of training and improvement of the machines and other tech (roads, lighting).

When trains were first invented, it was opined that humans might turn to mush at speeds over 45 MPH. Now we get in aluminum tubes full of kerosene and fly above the clouds at 600 MPH (ground speed with wind at your tail).

This too...shall pass. I have been around since the birth of online communications...and even before. I saw CB radio, ham radio, fax machines and even teletypes come and go. Back in the daze, it naturally took a certain degree of skill and understanding to go online - and so the "truth factor" wasn't something we thought much about....since, by definition, most of those online were rather intelligent in that particular sense.

Now that things have made it do "just anyone" can get online, we are dealing with the problems created by that.

Honestly, we (those who pioneered online communication) never saw it coming....back then those who did things right prospered. If you started a web site and gave good information, you'd do well.

We never guessed that it would all become a "Reality TV Show".....where each individual pictured themselves special and a star.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:59 AM

55 posts, read 22,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As archeology and anthropology are proving, the Dark Ages weren't really dark. Essentially, everyone was wrong. The whole King Arthur myth has been debunked. Angles and Saxons did come to Britain, but as immigrants, not invaders or conquerors. Absolutely no evidence of any battles. The evidence shows British tribes and the Angles and Saxons living side-by-side, and more than that, commingling and inter-marrying, adopting some of each other's customs.

Tintagel where King Arthur is claimed to lived was an extraordinarily wealthy society. They drank wine and not just wine, but several varieties of wine, including wine made in Britain -- yes, because of climate change the climate was warm enough to grow wine in Britain and the Romans prized wine imported from Britain, but it's too cold now -- and they drank their wine in glass made in Greece and Rome and had olive oil in pottery jars made in Turkey and Persia.

So, ships continued to sail from the Mediterranean to Britain. Why? Because there was a giant tin mine near Tintagel. In fact, Tintagel might actually mean tin mine in some corrupted language. Tin is scarce in the Mediterranean Region, and you need tin to alloy with copper to make bronze, and weapons, armor and shields were made of bronze, and it was used for other things, too.

That's actually the picture shaping up, thanks to advances in archeology like ground-penetrating radar that can detect the remnants of housing and other structures buried underground by several meters of earth.

It's been dead for decades, so it's not like it just suddenly died.

Admittedly, that's a problem, but it's self-inflicted.

You're not obligated to patronize any of those sources for news.

If you patronize those sources, then you're part of the problem.

You have the internet, so you have no excuse. I recommend Adevaratul (The Truth). I realize you don't speak Romanian, but Google will translate the pages for you, just like Google will translate Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian, German and French news sources.

Some publications are in English. Der Speigel is.

So, you have no excuse, other than laziness, and it's hypocritical to complain while patronizing the same sources you decry.

There are counter-technologies to bar or mitigate that.

The implementation of AI and automation will be so incredibly slow, that you won't even notice it.

And, it creates jobs, not kills them.

A robot-welder does replace a human welder, but it also creates 1.3 jobs, so you didn't lose a job and for every three robot-welders you install, you create jobs.

Most people's understanding of AI is on a par with a small rock.

AI requires human interface.

How little you all know.

AI doesn't replace humans, it complements them.

Well, you can thank Liberals for that, but it's nothing a civil war wouldn't solve.

There's no danger of nuclear war, but if the US continues to be the ass-clown of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if it is secretly decided to off the US by detonating three well-placed 450 kt nuclear warheads about 85 miles above the Earth's surface.

That wouldn't kill any Americans. At least not directly.

However, you will know personally the Dark Ages.

Your electrical grid, your telecommunications grid and most of your electronics will be rendered useless from the electromagnetic pulse.

In the first six months, 300 Million Americans will die of starvation, dehydration, illness, disease, accident, injury, misadventure, hypothermia, violence or by their own hand.

Your food supply will be gone in two weeks. You'll have to forage for food, and such a strike is likely to occur in October/November, so there won't be any food to forage until late Spring 6-8 months later.

Your water supply will be gone in 30 days. Once water treatment plants stop working, all your water is teeming with bacteria, and in particular, Typhus, Cholera and Dysentery.

Even with well-water, there's a risk of contamination, unless you cremate the bodies of Typhoid victims, like the NAZIs did.

If you don't, Typhus will leach into the ground-water and even into aquifers, your well gets contaminated, you get Typhus and die.

Your medications will be gone in 30 days, too.

The rest of the world can't help you.

All the cargo aircraft on Earth can only feed 6-8 Million people for 3-7 days.

That's assuming you can rig a system to siphon aviation fuel from the tank farms and get it to the aircraft.

Once the aviation fuel is gone, and it will be gone in 3-7 days, no more aircraft will be landing in the US.

Commercial cargo aircraft are not capable of air-drops, and they're not capable of in-flight refueling.

You don't have enough aerial tankers in the world to refuel what few military cargo aircraft you have, and they could only feed 1-3 Million people, albeit indefinitely in theory.

Ships can't help.

Your ports are very busy and if a ship could find an open slip, and if the captain is so skilled he can dock the ship without the use of tug boats, and if you can rig a siphon system to refuel the ships with diesel oil, then that would be a miracle.

But, short-lived.

Without electricity, the cranes don't work, and their electronics are damaged, so you cannot off-load the cargo containers of food.

So, yes, the few Million Americans who survive will be in a Dark Age and the Stone Age for about a century.

Why would income catch up?

Do you not understand Economics?

Wages rise when there's Monetary Inflation or Wage Inflation.

You currently have neither. Well, you have a bit of Monetary Inflation, about 0.4%.

Wages are not supposed to rise when there's Cost-push Inflation or Demand-pull Inflation.

Cost-push Inflation is 100% you.

You elected the idiots who levied the taxes, laws, regulations and ordinances that drive up the prices of goods and services, and then you have the unmitigated gall to think that you should get a pay raise?

Wrong answer.

You voted for the property tax increase, and now you have to pay more in taxes and have less money to buy other things, and you think you deserve a pay raise?

Wrong answer. That's not how it works.

Demand-pull Inflation is 100% you, too.

The function, the purpose, the raison d'être of Demand-pull Inflation is to prevent the depletion, over-use or over-consumption of resources, goods and services.

Demand-pull Inflation occurs when Demand for any good or service exceeds the Supply of that good or service.

Prices rise.

Prices rise to protect, to conserve, to preserve and prevent the depletion, over-use or over-consumption.

You have three choices:

1) Stop consuming like a freaking locust; or
2) Seek cheaper substitutes; or
3) Increase Supply to match or exceed Demand

That's all you, baby.

If you cannot afford things, that's great.

That means the inviolable Laws of Economics are working as they should.

Why should you get a pay raise?

What right entitles you to consume like a locust and deplete, over-use or over-consume resources, goods and services?

By what logic should you get a pay raise and continue to deplete, over-use or over-consume like a locust?

Explain that, because inquiring minds want to know.
Lots of good info but you don't fully know what dark ages is.

It's the adverse side of life. Sitra ahra. Darkness of nature, darkness of spirit, darkness of the soul.

Nightmares, fully born and alive. Abominations. Monstrosities. Atrocities. Sadism, sinister, barbaric, vicious, predatory, evil, vile, heinous, sinful.

Indiscriminate killing. No moral knowledge.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:03 AM

55 posts, read 22,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
The world s collapsing. we're all fixing to die. one day earth will be destroyed and replaced with a new earth in the afterlife where we'll spend eternity.
Lol yup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates