U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2020, 09:05 PM
 
21,052 posts, read 11,123,085 times
Reputation: 19607

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There's an HBO show you should watch, Warning, This Drug May Kill You, where one of the people they follow became addicted to opioids as a teen, when she was prescribed Oxycontin for chronic kidney stones. She didn't choose to become an addict, it happened because she followed her doctor's instructions, then spiraled out of control.



That would require critical thinking skills, but it is much easier to go the other way and just stop making them available.



No, a controlled substance is one that is subject to abuse or has no medical value. Not all controlled substances are addictive.
All controlled substances are addictive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2020, 09:06 PM
 
21,052 posts, read 11,123,085 times
Reputation: 19607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They may be to blame for causing it but the government is to blame for swinging too far to the other extreme. Their actions are still costing people their lives but this time it’s legitimate pain patients’ lives. A solution that simply trades one life for another is no solution.
But that isn't actually happening. It's just fear mongering on the part of some of y'all that start thread after thread about it.

Y'all still haven't found that country that is better to go to. USA still supplies the most opiods of any by far. I wonder what people everywhere else are doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 PM
 
37,927 posts, read 25,866,967 times
Reputation: 63029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
All controlled substances are addictive.
Not to everyone. I have been prescribed opiates multiple times throughout my life and never finished a prescription. I was on them for 8 months and stopped two weeks after my surgery with no issues. Pot is a controlled substance and I smoke daily except I stopped several weeks ago because I’m looking for a job. It’s still here but I don’t have to strain to resist it. The only thing I struggled to quit for decades was cigarettes.

The vast majority of people who take opiates as prescribed do not become addicted to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 PM
 
37,927 posts, read 25,866,967 times
Reputation: 63029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
But that isn't actually happening. It's just fear mongering on the part of some of y'all that start thread after thread about it.

Y'all still haven't found that country that is better to go to. USA still supplies the most opiods of any by far. I wonder what people everywhere else are doing.
Yes it is happening, I’m sorry you don’t believe me or the many others in this thread who have told you it is. You’re basically calling us liars. You just refuse to see it. Google increase in suicides by pain patients.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2020, 09:54 PM
 
21,052 posts, read 11,123,085 times
Reputation: 19607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes it is happening, I’m sorry you don’t believe me or the many others in this thread who have told you it is. You’re basically calling us liars. You just refuse to see it. Google increase in suicides by pain patients.
How do I know they are not addicts? You have had no trouble getting opiods. No one in any of these threads has had personal experience not being able to get them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2020, 11:10 PM
 
37,927 posts, read 25,866,967 times
Reputation: 63029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How do I know they are not addicts? You have had no trouble getting opiods. No one in any of these threads has had personal experience not being able to get them.
Yes I did, I am not going to reiterate my entire story but I have told it here. They made me wait and wait for weeks despite my inability to even walk to the toilet and it was only the decade old mishmash of a few old pain pills I had that, even weakened with age, kept me going at all. My bff actually called my pain management doctors office from Florida to plead with them to help me after she called me and I was crying so hard I was hyperventilating and could barely get a word out. I was also lying on the floor next to my bed, having just snake-crawled to the bathroom and back, and the pain was so excruciating I had been unable to get back up on the bed. Yet my pain management I was referred to just kept saying, “Well, let’s wait and see how you feel”. How I felt was like I was in some Twilight Zone, where no one understood what I was going through and no one cared. What I felt was despair and helplessness, and hopelessness.

And I have also told you what my patients at the nursing home have gone through. And it has only gotten worse since then. Your insensitivity and arrogant surety you know others’ experience better than they do is astounding.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...to-suicide.amp

https://www.sapiens.org/body/chronic...oid-crackdown/

https://thecrimereport.org/2018/01/0...ain-sufferers/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/opioids/77996

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pai...s%3fformat=amp

https://www.hrw.org/report/2018/12/1...ended-harms-us

https://www.statnews.com/2019/06/28/...mment-page-12/

“Twenty-six states have passed laws that impose mandatory limits on the prescribing or dispensing of opioids for acute pain from surgery or an injury.
Some pharmacies have placed restrictions on opioid prescriptions they will fill, limiting numbers of pills dispensed as well as denying prescriptions with dosages stronger than the CDC’s dosing guide.

More than half of the pain patients surveyed (56 percent) reported disruptions in care or outright abandonment by their physicians.
Some physicians are being red flagged for overprescribing, some even losing their licenses or facing criminal charges for overprescribing. Some physicians are now leery to prescribe at higher levels, even when necessary, in order to avoid scrutiny from the DEA or state medical boards.

The state of Oregon is considering a proposal that would end coverage for opioids for many chronic pain patients on Medicaid. The original proposal would have forced pain patients to taper off their dose of painkillers in 12 months.”

“Many doctors now refuse to prescribe any opioids because of the fear of sanctions. I have had several cancer patients whose pain was not well managed because of incorrect perceptions," Dr. Ross says.”

“Another major effect is reduced access to opioid pain medications. Recently released results of a study by the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network and the Patient Quality of Life Coalition show that one-third or more of cancer patients and survivors are having difficulty getting access to their prescribed opioid medications and that the proportion of people experiencing such difficulties has increased markedly since 2016.”

Many primary care doctors no longer prescribe opioids. Oncologists are still prescribing these medications, but in many cases they’re somewhat anxious about doing so. That has led some patients to have trouble even obtaining a prescription for pain medication.

“There’s a great fear of legal action against people who prescribe opioids, and an awareness that prescribing practices are being monitored much more closely than in the past. In addition, insurance companies have made it much harder to obtain these medications, and as a result, more and more prescribers have been reluctant to introduce opioids into their patients’ care regimens.”

https://cancerworld.net/cancerworld-...-live-in-pain/

“The US restrictions on the prescription of opioids had barely any effect in reducing opioid-related deaths, but are menacing the proper pain management care in cancer patients — and other chronic pain patients”

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-05-2020 at 12:39 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2020, 08:21 AM
 
893 posts, read 394,410 times
Reputation: 685
Not all drugs of abuse are controlled substances. Look at laxatives, they are regularly abused.

Controlled substances, by definition, are addicting. Will everyone become addicted, no, but they have the potential.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2020, 10:00 AM
 
14,437 posts, read 13,864,288 times
Reputation: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
No it's like a parent thinking their child is not worthless and is worthy of grieving when their life ends in tragedy. Junkies are not worthless people but yes sometimes they are too far gone to save and it can become a waste of resources to continue trying to save them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You're forgetting how this started for so many. Gobs and gobs of oxy for getting wisdom teeth out or other injuries that didn't require such.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This is exactly what Perdue pharma wants you to think. That it's the fault of the 'worthless junkies'. in fact they had company meetings telling employees to hammer than home. The fault lies with PERDUE. They said flat out the goal was to blanket the country in scripts. They set out to addict as many people as possible for profit.

Toxic and jen, you have noble sentiments about junkies and this issue of "are the worst dregs of society worthless" is debated regularly. It's much like the our Declaration of Independence declaring, "All men are created equal" but we all know that's not true. Just look around society.



Bottom line: a person either contributes to society or a person takes from society. My proposition: child rapists/murderers are worthless and should be put to death. The fact they were abused as children themselves doesn't get them off the hook of taking responsibility for their ghastly crimes.



In like manner, a junkie who burglarizes homes, robs people, steals drugs from their relatives, or buys them on the street with stolen money repeatedly with no desire to reform is worthless. A junkie can be offered a chance, maybe several chances to get clean, but at some point this person has to be given up for lost if s/he continually returns to their junkie lifestyle.



The fact that Perdue flooded the market with too many oxy doesn't give the junkie an excuse to use. Perdue didn't force the pills down the junkie's throat. The junkie of his own free will chose to abuse them. The fact the oxies were near at hand has no bearing on the junkie's decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2020, 10:34 AM
 
21,052 posts, read 11,123,085 times
Reputation: 19607
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Toxic and jen, you have noble sentiments about junkies and this issue of "are the worst dregs of society worthless" is debated regularly. It's much like the our Declaration of Independence declaring, "All men are created equal" but we all know that's not true. Just look around society.



Bottom line: a person either contributes to society or a person takes from society. My proposition: child rapists/murderers are worthless and should be put to death. The fact they were abused as children themselves doesn't get them off the hook of taking responsibility for their ghastly crimes.



In like manner, a junkie who burglarizes homes, robs people, steals drugs from their relatives, or buys them on the street with stolen money repeatedly with no desire to reform is worthless. A junkie can be offered a chance, maybe several chances to get clean, but at some point this person has to be given up for lost if s/he continually returns to their junkie lifestyle.



The fact that Perdue flooded the market with too many oxy doesn't give the junkie an excuse to use. Perdue didn't force the pills down the junkie's throat. The junkie of his own free will chose to abuse them. The fact the oxies were near at hand has no bearing on the junkie's decision.
You're not understanding. I am not talking about people who were junkies when oxycontin hit the market. I am talking about junkies created by oxycontin.

The dregs of society are people like perdue, who purposefully addicted as many people as possible in order to make billions of dollars. They were NOT just looking for legit pain patients to treat. They wanted to hook everyone with temp pain to be perma customers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2020, 11:25 AM
 
25,363 posts, read 8,769,253 times
Reputation: 14249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This is exactly what Perdue pharma wants you to think. That it's the fault of the 'worthless junkies'. in fact they had company meetings telling employees to hammer than home. The fault lies with PERDUE. They said flat out the goal was to blanket the country in scripts. They set out to addict as many people as possible for profit.
If this is true, why did the pharma industry allow the govt to swoop in and create tough laws on prescribing opioids?


We are always hearing how big and powerful the pharma industry is, Im sure they have great lobbyists too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top