U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:37 AM

25,425 posts, read 8,799,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I've been very vocal about Opioids here on Data-Forums. I was all for them as I was on RX Fentanyl for 15 yrs until October 2019 I decided to go off of them. I found a Pain Mgmt doctor to help me. Most of my physicians did not want me going off but I was so drained from having to go in once a month to get my prescription that I said " no more."

I was weaned off and it took 4 months. I celebrated on January 8, 2021 - 1 yr. I have more clarity and I am no longer lethargic. I was on 50 MCG... I suffer with Fibromyalgia and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The CRPS is in my lower extremities. I'm doing fine today. I keep busy and do not think of the pain I deal with.

I went to a wonderful pain mgmt doctor in Manhattan Beach, CA. I think often opioids make our pain worse. Everyone tells me I am so different today...in a good way. :-)
Thats great, but important to keep in mind, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT...opioids are the answer for some people,its what works best for them.

What I see going on today with opioids is very similar to 'drug propaganda' of the past...there is an effort to demonize these drugs.

The best thing imo, is to let DOCTORS treat patients, (and not allow law enforcement to have a say)...Also, patients need to remember, we have privacy rights pertaining to our medical treatment...ONLY those you personally authorize may access the details of your treatment (prescription medication included). IF someone ever violates these rights, you need to speak to an attorney right away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 12:02 PM

13,526 posts, read 17,824,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The opioid controversy has gotten so bad now that virtually no doctor in America will prescribe opioids for chronic pain, no matter how severe. They simply want nothing to do with the controversy or the thought of the DEA knocking on their front door at 3 in the morning and saying, "We noticed you prescribed Oxy for a few patients. You wouldn't want to lose your license and spend the next two years in a Federal pen instead of this luxurious home now would you? Hmmmm....?"

This fear has even extended to doctors prescribing opioids for terminally ill cancer patients and pharmacists filling such prescriptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-9wNmcv30

So the bottom line is cancer patients and chronic pain patients with severe pain may have to look outside the USA for treatment. How did we come to this and what is a sensible solution that will allow doctors to prescribe opioids for people who legitimately need them without fear of going to prison?
I know a fellow here whose had 3 hip operations, is very dissabled and in constant pain since he ran out of decent pain killers..
The other day he came by and told me he'd finally done it..he'd purchased some hydromorphone (dilaudid) off an addict on the street. The gov gives them so many a day for what they call "harm reduction". The addicts sell them and buy meth or another drug instead.
Chronic pain patients are sheet out of luck...unless they become a registered drug addict....
Doctors are too afraid of repercussions if they prescribe them...oh, but they WILL suggest tylenol, and they will prescribe (one of their favorites) antidepressants.....sad but true.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:44 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,718,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats great, but important to keep in mind, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT...opioids are the answer for some people,its what works best for them.

What I see going on today with opioids is very similar to 'drug propaganda' of the past...there is an effort to demonize these drugs.

The best thing imo, is to let DOCTORS treat patients, (and not allow law enforcement to have a say)...Also, patients need to remember, we have privacy rights pertaining to our medical treatment...ONLY those you personally authorize may access the details of your treatment (prescription medication included). IF someone ever violates these rights, you need to speak to an attorney right away.

When I saw this thread I was going to write something just like in the third paragraph. I think the gov is overstepping their bounds and indirectly getting into people's treatments and relationships with their docs.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 757,879 times
What people do not realize is that many do abuse their pain medication. They just have to have more and this is where the problem lies...

Do you think I no longer have pain? Not the case. I realized that the opioids were causing me more harm than good. In Redondo Beach, CA a few years ago a woman killed several in front of church around Christmas time. She was on medication - and I think that SCARED me more than anything. I did not want to be that poor woman. https://www.scpr.org/news/2014/12/19...ar-old-boy-ha/

Doctors were too quick to give out Opioids without finding out why people were in such pain and where it was coming from.

Acupuncture helped me a lot- massages - warm water. I have learned to take breaks- rest. I take Tylenol-Arthritis now. It helps a little. Opioids should be the LAST line of help for pain. Doctors realize this now.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:14 AM

25,425 posts, read 8,799,036 times
Quote:
What people do not realize is that many do abuse their pain medication. They just have to have more and this is where the problem lies...

Do you think I no longer have pain? Not the case. I realized that the opioids were causing me more harm than good. In Redondo Beach, CA a few years ago a woman killed several in front of church around Christmas time. She was on medication - and I think that SCARED me more than anything. I did not want to be that poor woman. https://www.scpr.org/news/2014/12/19...ar-old-boy-ha/

Doctors were too quick to give out Opioids without finding out why people were in such pain and where it was coming from.

Acupuncture helped me a lot- massages - warm water. I have learned to take breaks- rest. I take Tylenol-Arthritis now. It helps a little. Opioids should be the LAST line of help for pain. Doctors realize this now.
If doctors/medical experts were wrong about opioids in the past...what makes you think they are right now?!

The percentage of people that abuse pain medication was very low, (many people believe the opposite though), this was blown out of proportion intentionally (mainly by law enforcement agencies, DEA) so, that should be a huge red flag!

You need to look at past decades and compare this to theories on other drugs back then (like Marijuana), in the past they considered marijuana to be the worst of the worst, (even worse than Heroin), they thought it was pure evil incarnate! That wasnt true though...not even close!

The same exact thing is being done with opioids today...for the same reasons too, why do you think law enforcement enforces these laws so aggressively and even passionately? Its not about the safety aspect...they believe these drugs are EVIL, they believe they are doing 'good work' by enforcing opioid laws.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:35 AM
KCZ

3,476 posts, read 2,180,984 times
Quote:

Tell that to someone who's had a major complication from NSAID's, steroids, or an epidural injection, when taking a Vicodin a couple times a week would have controlled their pain just fine.

Old 07-04-2021, 05:06 PM

5,100 posts, read 1,678,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

The best thing imo, is to let DOCTORS treat patients.
And I believe PATIENTS should have the say on what treatment they want. The doctors should inform them of the risks but if a patient wants oxy he should get it.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:51 PM

6,083 posts, read 4,584,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
And I believe PATIENTS should have the say on what treatment they want. The doctors should inform them of the risks but if a patient wants oxy he should get it.
Dispensing opioid prescriptions on demand would make them drug dealers. Pill mills are illegal.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:37 PM

5,100 posts, read 1,678,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Dispensing opioid prescriptions on demand would make them drug dealers. Pill mills are illegal.
It's not ethical for them to permit patients to suffer. That's what drives them to go to drug dealers and end up ODing on bad drugs.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:17 PM

340 posts, read 158,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Tell that to someone who's had a major complication from NSAID's, steroids, or an epidural injection, when taking a Vicodin a couple times a week would have controlled their pain just fine.
Very true. I have Chronic Kidney Disease because I took Ibuprofen (Motrin,Advil) a few times a week for a few years. I would have been better off taking that Vicodin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates