U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 01:37 PM

36,852 posts, read 24,916,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So you think a doctor should prescribe and let a patient who has become dependent decide whether they need more of the drug they have become dependent on? I don't think someone who is under the influence of such drugs should get to decide whether or not they 'need' them, just like bartenders don't let drunks at the bar decide whether they've had enough for the night.
Again as a poster pointed out, that is only 3% of people who take pain meds. I have a 40 year health history where they could see I've been prescribed opiates after various surgeries through the years and not once did I ever ask for a refill. Yet when I was in agony from herniated discs pressing on my sciatic nerve, I had to somehow prove I wasn't an addict. They made me wait in agony for several weeks before they deemed me appropriate for pain meds. 97% of people in pain have to suffer so 3% don't become addicted???

And it’s NOT doctors deciding now, it’s the government. Doctors are afraid to prescribe and are told how to prescribe. My pain management doc had to abide by the outlines his corporate overlords came up with, not his own education and experience.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-12-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 05:34 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,618,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So you think a doctor should prescribe and let a patient who has become dependent decide whether they need more of the drug they have become dependent on? I don't think someone who is under the influence of such drugs should get to decide whether or not they 'need' them, just like bartenders don't let drunks at the bar decide whether they've had enough for the night.
Yeh, but the drunk can get some at the liquor store and take it home...can't he!

If a patient can function in normal life with a drug, but can't without...why not???
Not all doctors prescribe opioids that aren't necessary...very few I think.
It's usually for a very legitimate reason, and can actually keep the patient pain free so they can do what needs doing.
Who says patients tell doctors what to do????that's laughable..it's always for the better of the patient, and ultimately the doctors decision.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:10 PM

5,170 posts, read 1,762,682 times
I think it's all BS in a lot of cases, but I understand why they need to appear tough because there are junkies out there.

I had a major back surgery and was handed pain pills from 2 months prior to 3 months post surgery. They never said no, until after 90 days which is protocol, and even then I still got Tramadol a few times.

Just don't give a doctor a reason to red flag you and you'll be fine.

You can always try pain management, but you basically have to sign your life away and take drug tests, etc. That's just the way it is. But yes, there are plenty of pain management clinics in any decent sized city.

Last edited by Mister 7; 08-07-2021 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I think it's all BS in a lot of cases, but I understand why they need to appear tough because there are junkies out there.

I had a major back surgery and was handed pain pills from 2 months prior to 3 months post surgery. They never said no, until after 90 days which is protocol, and even then I still got Tramadol a few times.

You can always try pain management, but you basically have to sign your life away and take drug tests, etc. That's just the way it is. But yes, there are plenty of pain management clinics in any decent sized city.
This was simply the complete opposite of my experience in 2016. I was already in my 50s, I had a health history that encompassed years that was easily excessive bull online no doctor would prescribe it and required me to go to pain management and even the pain management people made me wait and wait. What year was it that you got your pills? I know your experience is very real to you, but I do believe truly that you are the exception versus the rule if this happened after 2016 or so.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:38 PM

5,170 posts, read 1,762,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This was simply the complete opposite of my experience in 2016. I was already in my 50s, I had a health history that encompassed years that was easily excessive bull online no doctor would prescribe it and required me to go to pain management and even the pain management people made me wait and wait. What year was it that you got your pills? I know your experience is very real to you, but I do believe truly that you are the exception versus the rule if this happened after 2016 or so.
Wow, your story is unfortunate and sorry you suffered.

This was all this year, my surgery was in March.

Where are you located?

I didn't start getting them until the surgery was scheduled. Then it got delayed for 3 weeks so he kept me stocked. And after the surgery no questions asked, refills a plenty until 90 days. I figured I would be cut off after 2 bottles of pills after the surgery. I must have gotten well over a dozen bottles total.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Wow, your story is unfortunate and sorry you suffered.

This was all this year, my surgery was in March.

Where are you located?

I didn't start getting them until the surgery was scheduled. Then it got delayed for 3 weeks so he kept me stocked. And after the surgery no questions asked, refills a plenty until 90 days. I figured I would be cut off after 2 bottles of pills after the surgery. I must have gotten well over a dozen bottles total.
I'm in south Jersey. I was out of work for 10 months, it was 8 months in that I finally got surgery (I was misdiagnosed for the first 4 months or so because my original doc kept saying I didn't need an MRI). By the time I got to pain management, I was lowering myself out of bed and onto the floor (because I couldn't stand) and crawling on my belly to the bathroom like a snake. Many times once I got to the bathroom I couldn't tolerate sitting on the toilet and I'd have to get back on the floor until the pain subsided enough to let me try again. It was the worst, darkest period of my life. I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't finally gotten pain meds. Even they didn't make it go away, it brought it from 10/10 to 7 or 8/10, enough that I could sit on the toilet, make a sandwich, wash my hair with a washcloth. My blood pressure skyrocketed during that time, too.

I only needed one bottle after surgery, and stopped taking them as soon as I was able so I can hoard the rest until the next time (my spine is riddled with arthritis and also stenosis) in case they torture me again.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:31 PM

21,039 posts, read 10,763,396 times
They go too far. I aggravated my herniated discs. Doc called in an NSAID with two black box warnings, a steroid, and an antibiotic I am allergic to.

That is crazy.

I have an apt. on Friday with my old pcp, I bet 10 million dollars it is a waste of time and money to go.

I doubt urgent care would help, they would think 'drug seeker'.

The NSAID might kill me, 5-10 days of hydrocodone 5 mgs is of no harm whatsoever!

Old 08-13-2021, 06:57 AM

24,829 posts, read 8,136,491 times
Quote:

The percentage of people abusing opioid prescriptions was very low, (compared to the overall number of patients prescribed these drugs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates