Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 05:11 PM

1,621 posts, read 820,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I would not disagree, but I think it better to couch it in terms of generations rather than centuries.

English is now the language of the World. In almost every foreign State, you learn your language and then English as a second language.

Over generations, that will change to learning English as the primary language and the your cultural language as a second language.

Foreign States are interdependent to a great extent and over generations the level of interdependency will increase until it reaches 100% of all foreign States.

There are actually theories of international relations about that. Two of them are Neo-Liberalism and Neo-Liberal Institutionalism.

What's the difference? Neo-Liberal Institutionalism relies heavily on NGOs -- Non-Governmental Organizations -- like multi-national corporations, international quasi-governmental bodies and other international organizations (like Doctors Without Borders) to do what government does under Neo-Liberalism.

Also, there's no longer a taboo about inter-racial marriages. Even Asians, and I'm talking about all Asians including Southeast, Southwest and Central Asians, no longer frown on inter-racial marriages.

As that takes place over generations, group identities break down.

The first group identities to break down are racial and ethnic identities.

As people of different races or ethnicities inter-marry, they no longer self-identify with that particular group.

You could see that on the 2010 Census as people of mixed races/ethnicities did not self-identify as Asiatic, Black or White.

Currency is another thing that unifies as does regional organizations. Eventually sub-Saharan Africa will unify like the US or Europe as will Central America, South America and Asia.

Technology will actually accelerate the process, because everyone is interconnected by social media.
Interesting thoughts. I use to believe that a world government, like the one shown in Sci-Fi movies was possible, but after seeing the backlash against globalism in the form of Brexit, the election of Trump, and the general rise of far right leaders who eschew anti-immigration rhetoric, I'm now very skeptical.

There is a difference between taboo and widely accepted. IR relationships aren't widely accepted. Maybe for certain types (Caucasian males) but for other groups, not so much. Many cultures resist IR from the belief it will degrade their culture. Also very doubtful English will be replace all other languages. Go to France and try to speak English with the locals. People see language as part of the their culture. Countries may learn other languages for the sake of business or academic pursuit but will always maintain their native tongue. You even have countries such as Ireland who are trying to get their native language back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 01:33 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,636,566 times
Absolutely not. We have to have them.

Many, many Americans take their safety and security for granted.

It's easy to do, I'm not faulting anyone.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:43 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,796,619 times
Nuclear is old-hat. Out-moded technology. Why do you think the major powers agreed to a nuclear arms deal? Because they had next-generation plasma technology and scalar weapons which are orders of magnitude better, more powerful and already here. We have seen testing of the technology in the deserts in Australia for example.

Popular Mechanics Plasma Weapon History Link 1
Scalar Technology

I believe the "UFO' we see are military in nature and powered by some other newer-than-nuclear technology.
I think once you have unlimited clean power, it is much, much easier to develop anti-gravity machines which is what these "UFO"s are. From that technology comes scalar weapons & plasma bombs which are the ultimate planet-destroying weapon. This is not science fiction.

How do you tell your enemies you have developed a much more (orders of magnitude) dangerous weapon than nuclear? You cannot let them steal it, you cannot tell them since they wont believe you, so you have to show them you have advanced technology which makes them afraid of you. I believe these military UFOs are doing just that.

When you have an unlimited budget and revenue streams which do not need to be reported on, there are so many things which can be achieved. Other countries doing the same thing also have exotic technologies probably back-engineered from crashed alien craft.

It always amuses me when people in the space and science forums keep talking about rockets and jets and flight surfaces needing lift as well as how long it takes to get to the nearest star - when we already have technology waaaay past that stuff.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:14 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,739,074 times
As to the question of "nukes" we need to differentiate between nuclear power, which has considerable potential as a carbon-free energy source, and nuclear weapons, which are perhaps undesirable but I don't think they are going away any time soon.

There are some promising advanced reactor designs under development (I have some involvement in my day job) that are more efficient and safer than the current Pressurized Water and Boiling Water designs. The current designs are not bad really, but they can be improved on. The nuclear power industry is one of the safest places to work. Current uranium prices don't support reprocessing spent fuel, although the idea of long term dry storage and then reprocessing when it has largely lost it's radioactivity, might be easier and more economical. Personally I think just putting the spent fuel into a geologic repository is just nuts, there is a lot of unused uranium in the fuel, about half of what it had when new, and who really knows what kind of repository we can trust for thousands to even millions of years? But I don't see enough benefit in a nuclear power phase-out like Germany is doing - take a look at the news, how's that working out for them?

As others have noted some former nuclear weapons states have left that club - Ukraine and Kazakhstan most prominently. Although it's worth noting that weapons in these countries were under Moscow's control during Soviet times. It would have been difficult and expensive to keep the bombs and missiles and put them under local control, and Russia might very well have objected. Some others like South Africa outright deactivated their small nuclear arsenals.

But for the US and Russia, while negotiated reductions in arsenals have been done, the balance of terror, for lack of a better term, means neither one will reduce their large arsenals without a verifiable more or less "equal" reduction from the other side. Given the war in Ukraine, I don't see this happening in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates